• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus 7 stuck at "turning on wi-fi"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZirDan

Lurker
Sep 8, 2010
I'm sad :(

got by N7 16Gb a week ago and enjoyed it a lot.
Today, getting it I saw the wifi was off.
I went to the setting to turn it back on and it stayed at "turning on wi-fi" message.

I tried to put it in airplane mode and out of it.
I tried soft reset
I tried a factory reset
I tried to drain the battery out and charge it.

still the same. help !

I am now at the google nexus welcome wizard, page 2 where it ask to choose a wifi, and again I see the "turning on wi-fi" message.

I cant seem to get it to connect to wifi. (or even to turn on its wifi)

anyone have seen the same issue ?

I've searched google but I have not found anyone with that issue.

any ideas ?

I really dont want to return it as it does not have any of the other known issues. but without wifi, it is now an expensive paper holder.

Thanks !!

Daniel

Try going somewhere else that has WiFi and see if it works. McDonald's, wherever. Maybe its just a problem with your router at home.

If it's stuck at "turning on Wifi" then it hasn't even made it to talking to a router. It's stuck literally switching on the internal Wifi radio.

If you're feeling adventurous, you could go through the process of flashing new images to your device:

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#nakasi

This activity will not void your warranty since it doesn't require rooting.

Otherwise, I'd say you need to return it.

Upvote 0
I agree with seVer and Binary Visions.
It looks like the Nexus cant turn on its own internal wifi radio.

I got the unit less than 7 days ago and (call me crazy :) ) but I kept it in its original plastic wrap until I receive my screen protector.

I also tried to give it a full charge and hope it may have been a low battery situation with its wifi. but no luck. still stuck at "Turning on wi-fi"

Since I did a hard reset, the unit is completely reformatted and I am going through the welcome wizard: page 1 select the language, page 2 select the wifi network.
I cant skip page 2. so it is not other widgets or apps that may be causing this.

I went away for a day and the unit spend 24 hours without seeing its home wifi.
When I came back home, wifi was off. turning it gack on gave me that message.

With that wifi issue, the Nexus was still fully (less any internet depending apps) functional. but not very useful :)

It was never dropped or bumped and kept in its box.
this is really strange.

Since it is brand new and under warranty, I wont risk any rom flashing.
I'm going to call Google tomorrow and get a replacement.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, I'll followup if I find anything else.
Other might get the same issue. who knows.

Daniel

Upvote 0
I was temped to reflash the image as suggested by binary visions but decided that since I had the tablet for less than 168 hours, I would give Google support a try.

I spoke with someone within 2 minutes and in less than 5 I had a RMA and a replacement on its way.
The guy was very nice and told me that sometime the hard reset have issues...

I have a feeling reflashing the image might have fixed it, but since the tablet still smelled the google factory, I would not bother and get a replacement.

Now I'm back (anxioulsy) waiting for my shipping email once again ;)

finger crossed

Daniel

Upvote 0
The only reason I might have tried the factory re-flash is because I already have all of the correct ADB/fastboot drivers installed, and I had already flashed other things this way, so I was ready for and familiar with the process and it would have taken two minutes to try it.

If any of those things weren't true... back to the factory I would have sent it :D

Hope you get a good one this time!

Upvote 0
hey i just had the same problem. flashed multiple back ups i made, the custom kernel i was running, rebooted, factory reset, wiped everything! but nothing would work. i figured it may have been a kernel issue so i flashed a rom that had a different kernel(Paranoid Android)....bingo! Problem fixed. after that i just flashed my stock backup again and wifi is now working again.

Reactions: llamapu
Upvote 0
Thanks HotRoderX
I also tried that, I brought it to 3 different places with wifi.
But as said earlier in the posts, the N7 seemed to had issue turning on its own radio.
I was not getting an empty list, but a "turning on wifi" message. even after a factory set.

I believe DriodMaster18 method would have fixed it. but since it was still brand new, I did not bother with it. it went back.

Upvote 0
Thanks HotRoderX
I also tried that, I brought it to 3 different places with wifi.
But as said earlier in the posts, the N7 seemed to had issue turning on its own radio.
I was not getting an empty list, but a "turning on wifi" message. even after a factory set.

I believe DriodMaster18 method would have fixed it. but since it was still brand new, I did not bother with it. it went back.

My bad I misunderstood I thought it was coming on just it would not let you connect to your network. I dont blame yea if I have problems with a device inside its return window I send it back. Its easier to return to a store for a exchange then it is to try and get warranty service.

Upvote 0
hey i just had the same problem. flashed multiple back ups i made, the custom kernel i was running, rebooted, factory reset, wiped everything! but nothing would work. i figured it may have been a kernel issue so i flashed a rom that had a different kernel(Paranoid Android)....bingo! Problem fixed. after that i just flashed my stock backup again and wifi is now working again.
i have samsung galaxy nexus and the same problem.. please explain how to fix the problem..

Upvote 0
Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
It looks as though he/she had to flash another ROM to fix the issue.

can u tell me how do i do that...

I assume you mean load a custom ROM as El Presidente mentioned.

First, you will need to find one (with instructions) specific to your version of Galaxy Nexus. Go to this forum:Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Android Forums and at either to top of the page or the bottom you will see three additional forums:
(International / GSM) Galaxy Nexus - All Things Root
(Verizon) Galaxy Nexus - All Things Root
(Sprint) Galaxy Nexus - All Things Root

You need to make sure you choose the correct version as loading the wrong one could damage your phone. Same goes loading up a ROM from this forum as these are specific to the Nexus 7.

Once you are in the correct forum start a thread asking how to load a custom rom and I'm sure someone will give you a hand.

In the meantime, I am going to close this thread to prevent confusion and you accidentally loading an incorrect ROM.:)

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones