1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

General Nexus 7 wifi

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Banished Angel, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Banished Angel

Banished Angel Android Enthusiast

Does anyone find their wifi speeds to be low on the Nexus 7? I just ran a speedtest on my laptop, HTC One, and Nexus 7 all in the same location one after another letting one finish before I started the next one. My laptop pulled 60Mbps down, my HTC One pulled 18Mbps, and my Nexus 7 only pulled 8Mbps. My Nexus 7 won't even stream youtube videos in HD even though 8Mbps should still be plenty for an HD stream. I've tried both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands.

Advertisement

2. NEXUS7USER007

NEXUS7USER007 Lurker

Just a thought.

Can you go into the router set up and see if you have a certain wifi speed set to low bandwidth or priority.

Just thinking out loud

3. minabasla

minabasla Newbie

4. nnickn

nnickn Newbie

My first 2013 Nexus 7 was stuck at around 10mbps on both bands on a connection with more or less infinite bandwidth. I got another replacement unit, and I am now seeing consistent >200mbps results on 40mhz 5 Ghz channels.

5. Tim K

Tim K Android Expert

Mine seems top out on my home connection at 20.5 Mbps. My Galaxy Nexus and Touchpad both pull 21.5-22.5 Mbps. I'd guess the difference is probably not statistically significant. Upload speeds for all three varied from 6.2 - 6.9 mbps. (I think I'm on a 15/5 plan from Verizon Fios)

6. Lexicon7

Lexicon7 Lurker

My N7 is often faster than speeding molasses!

7. Lexicon7

Lexicon7 Lurker

I'm looking for a WiFi thread about carriers and Hotspots for traveling? Is this it or does anyone know if there is a Hotspot thread? I'll keep looking...

8. DeadDude

DeadDude Android Enthusiast

I hate to do this, but no one else has....

Have you made sure the Nexus was 'clean'? Frsh reboot, minimum background writing tasks?

And clear line of site? And blah blah blah? Just the normal bases covered? (As you didn't list the variables that matter)

My N7 (2013) is MUCH faster than my 2005 era laptop with 'N'.

BUT. My N7 suffers from interference waaaay worse than any laptop I've ever used.

My N7 drops speed from anything in the line of sight. A wall will impede my N7 worse than my 8 year old WM2003 device.

Make sure NFC, Bluetooth, etc are deactivated when you don't need 'em... they create interference IMHO.