• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Banished Angel

Android Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2012
IN, USA
Does anyone find their wifi speeds to be low on the Nexus 7? I just ran a speedtest on my laptop, HTC One, and Nexus 7 all in the same location one after another letting one finish before I started the next one. My laptop pulled 60Mbps down, my HTC One pulled 18Mbps, and my Nexus 7 only pulled 8Mbps. My Nexus 7 won't even stream youtube videos in HD even though 8Mbps should still be plenty for an HD stream. I've tried both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands.

I hate to do this, but no one else has....

Have you made sure the Nexus was 'clean'? Frsh reboot, minimum background writing tasks?

And clear line of site? And blah blah blah? Just the normal bases covered? (As you didn't list the variables that matter)

My N7 (2013) is MUCH faster than my 2005 era laptop with 'N'.

BUT. My N7 suffers from interference waaaay worse than any laptop I've ever used.

My N7 drops speed from anything in the line of sight. A wall will impede my N7 worse than my 8 year old WM2003 device.

Make sure NFC, Bluetooth, etc are deactivated when you don't need 'em... they create interference IMHO.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones