• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help nexus crashing

First off, hello. im josh and im new here. i would be accessing this on my wonderful nexus, but its crapped on me.

I would like to state that a replacement phone is on the way, but i would like to investigate my problem further so that if it was my fault it doesnt happen again.

So while trying to update my X2, it crapped on me. Verizon very nicely replaced it with the Galaxy nexus. ive had it less then a week and have fallen in love with it. Go extended warranty yea!

but......it stopped working. i woke up, went to answer a text..... then it all started happening. it would freeze, reboot, then repeat. even if i got past the lock screen, it would shortly after freeze then reboot. i filmed it. nonstop rebooting. its still doing it as we speak.

i have not rooted the phone. all i know is when it came, it had the most up to date publicly released ICS.

i installed..

yahoo mail
cnn
fox
dolphin HD
starfire( i think, a crappy pay for browser)
and thats rly it. no games at all, and like i said, not rooted.
i didnt want to root since for my uses its not needed and i like my warrenty

ive heard other ppl that have skype are running into this problem on nexus ICS.

now im getting a replacement, but in case it was a nasty app i i cant have it happen again. there is absolutely no way to access the phone to delete skype if it happens again. the Verizon rep tried everything she could and she couldnt access it. hard resets, battery pulls, a DIFFERENT battery ect ect. nada. it is unusable.

heres a kicker, this phone is refurbished, its a replacement phone. when i boot up, it says google, and has a unlocked lock icon at the bottom of the screen. i have no idea what that means. one of the other reps at the verizon store also had a nexus and told me that means its rooted. she showed me hers and hers did not have the icon at all, locked or otherwise. Did verizon ship me a rooted phone? if so wtf??? thankfully they didnt seem to care or make a big deal about it and i should expect ANOTHER replacement phone tuesday. very short wait for me.

i dont know anything about kernals and what not, i didnt do anything to tweek my phone. it was stock besides the above news apps and such.
i tried to google this and found some results, but not one of them were as bad as mine in the same circumstances. the only results i found were ppl who had rooted. maybe it did come rooted??? i have no idea. imma just leave this page up and refresh every now and then since im phoneless atm the moment.

I would rly appreciate some input on this, and if u have any more questions about my situation, ill try my best to answer them. Thanks!

Josh from Ohio

When you boot the phone and see the unlock icon that means the bootloader is unlocked. So the phone does appear to be rooted. try pressing power + and - and then the power button for a few seconds. From there if it is rooted you should be able to toggle up or down using volume. If that is an option choose the recovery option and press the power button to select it. from there if you see cwm recovery options then you should be able to easily recover the phone.

To learn more about cwm recovery or any of this, there is a post that is stickied at the top of the forum for rooted phones.

Reactions: ngforever1989
Upvote 0
I meant to say volume + and - and then power button all at once. Then the screen should change and give you more options.

holy crap batman u were right. verizon sent me a darn rooted phone, shows how much they pay attention!

Heres what the bootloader reads....

FASTBOOT MODE(in red)
Product Name -Tuna
Variant - toro 32gb
HW Version- 9
Bootloader Version - Primelab3
Baseband Verison - I515.FC03 CDMA - I515.FC04
Carrier Info - None
Serial number.......(not sure if i should post that)
Signing - production
LOCK STATE - UNLOCKED(in red)

Ran the "Recovery Mode".....
it reboots, flashes an android guy rly fast but as it flashes it turns into an android on his back with an red triangular exclamation above its open chest. it restarts and continues to do what it was doing. if a recovery mode was trying to engage, it isnt working. verizon is certainly getting an earful about this lol.

i tried to engage the recovery mode several times but it still fails. i was super hopeful too.

Upvote 0
Your boot loader is definitely unlocked but I don't think you are rooted. I believe Android guy on his side is stock recovery. Sorry but I rooted after only having my phone for an hour or so. Its been at least six months since I've looked through the process.

But from what you've said I do believe the phone is recoverable. This phone is almost always recoverable. I recommend you look for a program called Wugfresh. It can do anything from root, flash back to stock and relock the boot loader. One of the android sites had an article about it just last week. It was either on droid life or here.

Upvote 0
well heres the thing, i have no idea what flashing is and whatnot. i never rly got into that. i rly dont know how to root. and since im getting a new phone soon, im not gettin into that mess. at least i know where the problem "could" have stemmed. altho i might get into rooting when i get the new phone, they already shipped it so imma let this one go.

the way i see it, im not going to read articles and then try to root. god knows ive tried(read, not root) i would never attempt any of this at the risk of bricking my phone. i know the basic rooting is super easy, but after that im totally in the dark. if i had a real person or a voice to help me out, sure. but as long as im paying verizon all this money, im not wasting phones, they arent cheap.

ive never been the booklearner, thats why i stopped going to college online. i need real help as i always have lots of questions. i luv to learn all the details, and that is way too cumbersome to do online, especially if i needed immediate assistance.

i could be swayed, but rly i have no use for rooting, i dont play games on my phone or do this and that. all i do is text, call, and browse the web. news apps and such is all i do so i dont see the benefit in rooting.

if im wrong and there are more positives to rooting than im aware of, plz let me know as i would rly appreciate that

Upvote 0
In your case I would just wait for the new device. Rooting isn't for everybody. There are too many people that jump into rooting without reading first. I'm actually back in school for software engineering and I still don't just jump into it like most people do.

For you the only real benefit to rooting would be to get the current phone back into working order. But since you already have another on the way that really isn't much of a benefit.

Upvote 0
It took me 5 months of reading to feel like I was ready to root. And then I decided to switch phones but I don't think I'll root the new one. I didn't mind rooting my OV since it was cheap and I didn't mind getting a new phone if I screwed it up but I'm probably not brave enough to do it on a more expensive phone.

OP, I hope your new phone is perfect. That must be frustrating.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones