• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus reception issues in Central Ohio?????

jetman

Aug 28, 2010
My new every 2 is up 1/4/12 and have been seriously looking to upgrade my Original Droid with the GN.... but all of the talk of poor 4G reception has me skeptical. My wife and son both have LG Revolution with excellent 4G reception in the Central Ohio area an wonder if any of the new GN users in the area are having reception problems. I'm wondering if it's a location issue or phone problem. Any input would be appreciated from Central Ohio residents before I sign up for a 2 year hassle.

My new every 2 is up 1/4/12 and have been seriously looking to upgrade my Original Droid with the GN.... but all of the talk of poor 4G reception has me skeptical. My wife and son both have LG Revolution with excellent 4G reception in the Central Ohio area an wonder if any of the new GN users in the area are having reception problems. I'm wondering if it's a location issue or phone problem. Any input would be appreciated from Central Ohio residents before I sign up for a 2 year hassle.

I'm not from your area, but I upgraded fromOG Droid. My reception is the same. On the old Droid, I usually got 1-2 bars in the house. On the Nexus, I get the same. Sometimes, it'll drop to zero bars but I can still make calls and receive 3G data. Right now I'm at 2 bars and -93dBm on the Gnex. And it just dropped to 1 bar (-100 dBm). I honestly have not noticed a degradation of signal reception on my Nexus. I work in a 4G area and I have no issues there either. I know you want to hear from locals, but just telling my experience.

Upvote 0
Can't speak for your area, but my husband has a Revo as well (good god LG has the most bloat I've ever seen on a phone!) and my speeds and coverage have been similar to his. I don't always show as many bars, but actual usage-wise we're about the same. I assuming that's because the bars on the Nex are showing 4G and his are showing 3G. Any time I've dropped 4g he has, as well.

Upvote 0
I'm in Gahanna and have had very spotty 4G coverage this past week. It has been a real issue for me, so I'm hoping this "fix" I keep hearing about comes through soon.

No issue with dropped calls however...

Thanks, I'm in Gahanna too!.. the wife and son both have had the same 4G issues you are talking about with their Revolutions. My neighbor across the street with another Verizon 4G phone had the same complaints, but also no dropped calls. That sounds more like a Verizon 4G/LTE tower issue rather than a Nexus problem. That's encouraging at least.

Upvote 0
I live in orient and work on the west side of columbus. 4g coverage seems spotty at best and I find myself turning off the LTE because of it connecting/disconecting from the network. Voice calls are fine, I havnt dropped anything. I have run quite a few speed tests and my best is only 13down 11up, and that was within site of the tower.

Upvote 0
Thanks, that's encouraging information. Any issues of dropped calls or poor reception?

Anyone else in the Columbus vicinity?

None. I have noticed that inside stores my 4G drops but still no dropped calls or slow internet loading or not receiving texts.

I've had the best speeds right at home. I'm most curious to see how it performs at work but I'm on vacay all this week.

Upvote 0

I'm in the Pickerington area and have had no issues what so ever (except the outage the other day). Been a great phone so far!

Upvote 0
Although I don't live in central Ohio anymore, I visit here from time to time and am here right now. Zipping down 71, 4g was spotty, but from a bit outside the 270 loop and onward, it's been solid. 2 bars over at an apartment in Upper Arlington, flipping between 2 and 3 bars inside of a building at OSU.

-98dBm 42asu, speeds around 10mbit up and down inside the OSU building right now.

One voice call so far, seemed solid and clear.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the update! My wife was complaining today of the up/down 4G service today. I'm beginning to think a lot of the reception issues are Verizon based issues

But why are Rezound/Razr users not having the same issues in the same areas? If it were a VZW network issue, I would expect all 4G phones to have the same issues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones