• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No Barcode scanner app works on the Behold 2

Upvote 0
http://androidforums.com/android-applications/24819-shopsavvy-camera-flash.html

Shop savvy works most of the time, i found a glitch where the flash goes off every 5 seconds and i am unable to scan the barcode. anyone else having an issue?

today its fine but last night i wanted to find my shamppoo cheaper and the flashthing went to town.

I ran into the same thing but this happens when it thinks its to dark and of course with the flash on so close can cause glare which causes it to turn off and then back on again and so forth. So plenty of light with no glare and it works for me

Upvote 0
I just noticed this as well, fairly annoying since rarely do stores have perfect lighting for it to work. Hopefully there might be a fix for it, since it is really useful when it does work.

It seems to get the white balance from when the app opens up. So if it thinks that the ambient light is to low it will trigger the flash wrong.* If you hold it to a bright light as you open it you can notice that it wont re-correct the white balance again.

*I believe that this was talked about a bit in this thread: http://androidforums.com/samsung-behold-2/33289-behold-2-flashlight-interest.html (perhaps opening the flash handler and then when it closes or whatever it auto-opens it again). In reality, well human's reality, I have no idea what I am talking about. So I shall just mew. *mews*

Upvote 0
I've had better luck when I turn macro mode on. If you click on the camera settings, and go to page two, you can change the focus mode from AF to Macro.

Also, I agree w/ the flash comment. If you make sure you're in good light, and turn off the flash, this helps too.

both work fine for me not always well though if its flashing that means you need better lighting in the area you are doing it in.

Upvote 0
I am having this problem with both Barcode Scanner and Shopsavvy. I don't know what kind of fingers you guys have, but blocking the flash sufficiently enough to stop the light without blocking the camera lens has been impossible. In short, this "trick" does not work... at least for me.

Camera settings don't work, as they only apply to the camera app, and both scanner apps don't mention flash anywhere in their own settings.

Tried re-installing and problem continues. Should I give up or are there some real solutions out there? :thinking:

Upvote 0
I am having this problem with both Barcode Scanner and Shopsavvy. I don't know what kind of fingers you guys have, but blocking the flash sufficiently enough to stop the light without blocking the camera lens has been impossible. In short, this "trick" does not work... at least for me.

Camera settings don't work, as they only apply to the camera app, and both scanner apps don't mention flash anywhere in their own settings.

Tried re-installing and problem continues. Should I give up or are there some real solutions out there? :thinking:

I've had success by pointing the camera at the brightest light in the roombefore scanning a bar code, and it's worked fairly well.

Upvote 0
The only real solution is to have bright, even lighting with macro mode selected in your camera.

Wish there was a better answer, but that's the way it is.

Ideally, macro mode should be selected for you when you go to scan a barcode. And ideally, that stupid focus assist wouldn't blast so much light when you're in macro mode, because it makes it impossible for the camera to take a photo. But that's expecting Samsung to put some thought into their product, which is asking a bit too much.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones