• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help NO DATA AGAIN...startung to get annoying

smfoley1

Android Enthusiast
May 4, 2010
I feel like every other time I try to do something with my bionic, I have no data connection. I have the phone set for CDMA only, no LTE since I dont have 4G where I am. What the hell is going on? I thought that last update a few weeks ago was supposed to fix this.

The data drops are one of the most pervasive ongoing problems with 3G/4G devices on the 4G LTE network. The problems are in both the software in the devices and the tower side of the connection.

-- Make sure you are running version 5.5.893 or 5.9.901 of the system.
-- If you are ... go into the Verizon store and get a replacement SIM card (takes a minute).
-- Sometimes the problem can be reset by switching Airplane Mode On then Off.
-- Sometimes the problem can be reset by a soft reset (hold down volume Up/volume Down/Power until a menu appears and then disappears. The Bionic will reboot).
-- Sometimes the problem is on the tower side and you just have to wait until it is repaired.

(Don't shoot the messenger.)

... Thom

Upvote 0
Unacceptable

Have no idea what is unacceptable.

If it was my summary of the things you could do to restore your connection ... sorry ... I'll try to do better in the future.

If it is the situation on the network ... clearly it is not unacceptable since you are still on it. If it was unacceptable you would have reverted to a 3G network and let someone else iron out the kinks.

It's broken. It's being worked on. If anyone tells you the outages are in the past they are lying to you.

My WAG (wild assed guess) is that it will be another 2-3 months.

(I am on the 3G/4G network in a 3G-Only area. The data connection has been fine here today. Two months ago it was a yo-yo for about two weeks. That was when they were working on the tower side. It has been pretty good since then except for the nation-wide outages.)

... Thom

Upvote 0
Try the SIM card.

5.9.901 is also correcting more. People who complained about this problem got it pushed to them by Motorola/Verizon already. It is around as a leak if you just can't wait. You can flash the leak to 5.9.901 at the expense of losing all user data.

I chose to wait and stay production all the way.

There is a rumor that Manchester got 4G. Is that true? We are still waiting for it in Keene.

... Thom

Upvote 0
Yes I had the exact same problem as the OP. My bionic droped so much I was about to throw it. THEN I went throigh th pain of getting the leak to .901 using Pathsaver. BE CAREFUL AND READ IF YOUR GOING TK DO THIS. I Thought that I had a brick ln my hands. But the pain I went through was oh soooo worth it. My phone on.893 was terrible droppong every other minute but now on .901 runs like a dream.....:D It actually turned my buyers remorse into awwww yeah. I do have the phone set to cdma when K am at home as well. However back when I put it on cdma while I was on .893 it didnt matter was still pathetic..... so .901 really did make the difference.

Upvote 0
Have no idea what is unacceptable.

If it was my summary of the things you could do to restore your connection ... sorry ... I'll try to do better in the future.
cute

this consistent data loss is 100% unacceptable. this is a $600 device; it should ****ing work. simple as that.

i called verizon and complained for a bit, was sent a new bionic (which didn't have 893 on it, though i was told it would) and a week later i still run into the same nonsense connection issues. the worst is when the phone will tell me that i have 5 bars of 4g, but i'll open up facebook and get a big NOPE, or turn on my gps and it won't be able to download the directions. eff that entirely.

then of course the other 4g/3g issues on top of it...i almost want to switch to att.

Upvote 0
So ... you are apparently on 5.5.886? That's about the most meager system you could be running.

FOr these data drop problems ...

-- There have been good reports from people who went to 5.5.893 and installed a new SIM card.

-- There have been good reports from people who have gone to 5.9.901.

I suggest you contact Verizon and tell them you need 5.9.901 and they should push it to your phone.

I believe the network will remain unstable for a while longer. If that is not acceptable to you then you shoulg get onto a more stable 3G network.

... Thom

Upvote 0
I have switched to CDMA only and the data loss is better but still not gone. I did not go in to get a new SIM card. I live in a 3G/4G area and recently went to a 3G only area for the holidays and it was better there but still had a few data loss issues.

The main problem is I use my phone also for work with the corporate sync and I can barely get my companies emails to come through. Not sure why when the data drops started that I am having a really bad time sync'ing to my corporate emails. As soon as I switch to wifi I get emails immediately. Turn wifi off and I lose the sync with my emails.

Verizon has really f'd something up here. I think I will run into Verizon and give them an ear full about this then give me a new SIM card.

Also, is there any other 4G devices having the same issue?

Upvote 0
So ... you are apparently on 5.5.886? That's about the most meager system you could be running.

FOr these data drop problems ...

-- There have been good reports from people who went to 5.5.893 and installed a new SIM card.

-- There have been good reports from people who have gone to 5.9.901.

I suggest you contact Verizon and tell them you need 5.9.901 and they should push it to your phone.

I believe the network will remain unstable for a while longer. If that is not acceptable to you then you shoulg get onto a more stable 3G network.

... Thom

called verizon, they said they cant push 901 and that they dont even have it. Tech told me he would send out another Bionic because its "not that common of a problem"

so in the 2 years Ive had Verizon, Ive had 3 Eris', 3 Droids and now will be on my 2nd Bionic...thats 8 phones in two years...getting sick of having to reinstall all my shit evey 3 months

Upvote 0
The 5.9.901 attempt was not a surprise ... it was worth a try.

The leaked 5.9.901 is listed in this conference if you want to go that route ... or you could wait.

You have had a VERY large number of phones. Is there another Verizon store in the area you could deal with? (We have two in town.)

Do you have the problems wherever you are or are they mostly at one location? With the sheer number of phones you have gone through it seems unlikely that the problems are in the phone end of the connection.

... Thom

Reactions: rogue_slc_vzw_rep
Upvote 0
ya, ridiculous how many phones Ive had. The Eris was a good phone till an OTA ruined it. I was very happy with it to that point. Once the OTA came thru the phone was worthless..Id call someone and they couldnt hear me or the phone wouldnt ring when someone called me. So of course Verizon insisted I get another Eris, and another after that all withthe same problems. after that I threatened to drop them and jump to ATT and demanded they give me a droid which was great for some time. Not sure what happened to it. The "Certified like new" that replaced that one had issues with the power button. Then the next certified liike new had issues with the screen. as for location...it didnt matter....Florida, Penn, Vermont and CT, didnt matter where I was.....I never rooted or installed anything that wasnt pushed to the phones by OTA

Upvote 0
Your situation just gnaws away at me.

Have you ever had a Verizon Wireless phone that operated in an acceptable manner? Any phone at any time?

If yes ... what was it and when?
only verizon phone that ever worked correctly was the Eris, up until the OTA I spoke of The OG Droid was good 90% of the time

If no ... where are you located?
Live In Colchester, CT, work in Glastonbury, CT and travel to VT often. same problems regardless of where I am

... Thom

Steve

Upvote 0
You have had a VERY large number of phones. Is there another Verizon store in the area you could deal with? (We have two in town.)

quoting this because my Bionic is having the same "you have 5 bars of 4g but there is no connection" issue.

And you think 8 phones is a lot...HA!

I had 5 BB storm 1's, 4 BB storm 2's(VZW give me a 2 after my troubles with the 1), then VZW give me the OG droid with my storm2 problems.... I went through 7 droid 1's in 6 months. I bought a Bionic in Oct. and needless to say I havent been that happy with the data issue's. I heavily rely on data for communication because I am deaf. And when I need to text someone or something like that and can't I get PO'd. The local store is always just like "hey, here is another refurbed"........and Im gettig fed up. I pay them $70 a month for 0 minutes and unlimited data, if I cant use my data WhyTF am I paying them?

/RANT

Upvote 0
quoting this because my Bionic is having the same "you have 5 bars of 4g but there is no connection" issue.

And you think 8 phones is a lot...HA!

I had 5 BB storm 1's, 4 BB storm 2's(VZW give me a 2 after my troubles with the 1), then VZW give me the OG droid with my storm2 problems.... I went through 7 droid 1's in 6 months. I bought a Bionic in Oct. and needless to say I havent been that happy with the data issue's. I heavily rely on data for communication because I am deaf. And when I need to text someone or something like that and can't I get PO'd. The local store is always just like "hey, here is another refurbed"........and Im gettig fed up. I pay them $70 a month for 0 minutes and unlimited data, if I cant use my data WhyTF am I paying them?/RANT

So ... one Bionic with the sucking data drops running 5.5.893 and a new SIM card waiting for 5.9.901 to be released? Did I guess correctly?

... Thom

Upvote 0
So ... one Bionic with the sucking data drops running 5.5.893 and a new SIM card waiting for 5.9.901 to be released? Did I guess correctly?

... Thom

your right, Verizon wont give me a new one as they cant "reproduce my problems". Hold the phone for a week, you will most def. reproduce the problems. They also tell me to call corporate, I CAN'T CALL CORPORATE YOU STUPID ^%$&^%$#@*&^%$#, IM DEAF!

You must be a very patient person as after about half of your problems iwould have switched carriers.
Had T-mobile-----crappy service, had sprint--------more crap service, dont have AT&T but my moms boyfriend does and his service is always cutting in and out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones