• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

no insurance on phone bought on ebay

timcity

Nov 8, 2009
So I bought a moto droid on ebay the other day after suffering some 2.0 envy with my droid eris. I wanted to see if my moto would be insured right when I activated it or is I needo to set it up manually. I went into my local verizon store and said they wouldnt insure it because I bought it third party. My question is how would they know or if this is even true because the guy I was talking to didn't sound too confident.

I ran into this a while back. I was told that Verizon only insures Verizon phones. To which I replied good, inshure mine! Then I was told that I bought it third party, it isn't a Verizon phone. Pointing at the VZW logo I then told them tha Verizon will not activate a non-Verizon phone on their network and since I can clearly make calls the ESN must be verizons?

It went round and round and I finally gave up....this is kinda how the voicemail and IN-calling went. I dial my number right? And I am clearly a verizon customer so why am I being charged out of network minutes for listening to my own voicemails? Of course now I use google voice.

Upvote 0
The Insurer is trying to avoid this scenario:

You buy a used phone from ebay/craigslist etc... or you buy a "New" phone from a third party. The phone arrives broken or damaged in some way.

Here you come trying to insure the phone.. they insure you and the next day you make a claim on the broken phone you received.

They are only trying to protect their bottom line.

They only insure phones RIGHT from verizon since it is guaranteed that they are giving you a Brond New phone. It's very controlled.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones