• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No longer able to use Pattern for my unlock.

Markus729

Android Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2010
Mile High City
I have always preferred the pattern screen lock. While on a road trip, I turned it off so it could be easier for using the map, nav, etc. So when I got home, I wanted to turn it on again, but now all my choices (None, Slide, Face, Pattern) are all dimmed and say "Disabled by administrator, encryption policy, or credential storage". Only my PIN and Password are available to me now. How do I get my pattern unlock back?

A Droid Bionic user had a similar problem Markus729. He got his lock screen options back by going into Settings then tapping on Security scrolling down to Credential storage and clearing credentials.

Thanks! I tried that, and clearing credentials didn't work. HOWEVER, I was curious about the "Device Administrator" options, and it appears that my newly installed setup for my work (Exchange server) email has its own preferences, and I must have unwittingly changed a security PIN thinking it was just for my email, and not for the whole phone.

So, as a test, I deactivated this feature for my corporate email, and sure enough, I was able to get my other options back. But, it also erased my corporate account. So, it appears I must have to have my work email security feature trump my personal choice?

Upvote 0
That's what it looks like Markus729. Back when I had a Windows Mobile Phone I was using an MS Exchange account from my job and I had no choice but to go with the password option if I wanted to view my work emails on the go. Even though it was my personal phone and I preferred to have it unlocked all the time for ease of use the company policy was to have phones with that type of information secured regardless of ownership.

Upvote 0
That's what it looks like Markus729. Back when I had a Windows Mobile Phone I was using an MS Exchange account from my job and I had no choice but to go with the password option if I wanted to view my work emails on the go. Even though it was my personal phone and I preferred to have it unlocked all the time for ease of use the company policy was to have phones with that type of information secured regardless of ownership.

OK, good to know, I suppose I could live with that. Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones