• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root No Media Connection--HELP!!

in a worse case,i believe you can run backup assistant. then you can go to verizons website and save the backup asst contacts as some kind of file,then import that file into your google account. i had to do that initially,when i first got my OG droid,as there was no other way :eek:

the details are fuzzy now,but you could google "import backup assistant contacts to google" or somethin to that affect.

did you look at the other thread i linked? it mentioned an app you could possibly use to export them.

I like the VZW Back-Up Assistant idea and would like to give that a try. But something happened this morning that may throw a monkey wrench in the situation...

I used syncmypix yesterday (before I wrote this post) to see if it would fix the problem...it inserted 71 pictures but was unable to do anything with the remaining several hundred contacts. But this morning they suddenly appeared out of nowhere. But almost none of these newly-appeared contacts have phone numbers on them, only facebook names and e-mail addresses.

If I import all of my contacts from back-up assistant, and I have all of these contacts that suddenly appeared on my phone, I'm assuming that I'll have a bunch of duplicates and I'll have to figure-out a way to merge all of their data.

Unless...

If I imported contacts from Back-Up Assistant into google, would there then be a way to filter out any duplicates created from what's already on my phone and what I imported?

And by the way...here's one of the available export options from Back-Up Assistant: Export my contacts to an email service, such as Gmail, Yahoo Mail, etc.

Upvote 0
Your phone probably tried to sync overnight.

Yep...but it wasn't totally successful as I'm still missing most phone numbers...it only synced FB account names and e-mail addresses...my problem still lies in that my contacts were saved as "phone" instead of "google."

Did my last question make sense. It sounds clear in my mind but that doesn't mean much :).

If I imported contacts from Back-Up Assistant into google, would there then be a way to filter out any duplicates created from what's already on my phone and what I imported?

Upvote 0
Yep...but it wasn't totally successful as I'm still missing most phone numbers...it only synced FB account names and e-mail addresses...my problem still lies in that my contacts were saved as "phone" instead of "google."

Did my last question make sense. It sounds clear in my mind but that doesn't mean much :).

I get an option to link duplicates, but I don't really bother since I only have about 5-6 duplicates and just go and delete the extra contacts.

What you could do is sign into you Google account and see what contacts are there. If your contact list is complete and not full of duplicates, then your best bet might be to just go ahead and do a full wipe and re-install. I'm trying to get a better setup on my phone right now (even though I'm getting a replacement later today) but data/contact re-installs aren't that big a deal for me since I don't have many contacts and have decided that my "perfect" angry birds' progress is a casualty that I'm ok with.

Upvote 0
I get an option to link duplicates, but I don't really bother since I only have about 5-6 duplicates and just go and delete the extra contacts.

What you could do is sign into you Google account and see what contacts are there. If your contact list is complete and not full of duplicates, then your best bet might be to just go ahead and do a full wipe and re-install. I'm trying to get a better setup on my phone right now (even though I'm getting a replacement later today) but data/contact re-installs aren't that big a deal for me since I don't have many contacts and have decided that my "perfect" angry birds' progress is a casualty that I'm ok with.

Where would I get the "link duplicates" option? Inside my google contacts?

Upvote 0
I'm running Gingerbread and I get a notification that prompts me to link accounts. I don't generally link them since they're just duplicates, but it at least tells me how many contacts I need to update/delete.

Hmm...I had that on Sense (I just updated to CM7)...I don't know if CM7 gives that same option...

I guess I'm trying to prevent a bunch of duplicate contacts from being downloaded to my phone...I'm not that familiar with manipulating contacts inside my google account, but I was hoping to weed-out any duplicates there are the front-end before syncing them to my phone and having to link them...I know they'd be linked, but that's still a bunch of extra crap taking-up space on my phone/card...

I'm really not trying to be difficult here...I promise...:)

Upvote 0
Hmm...I had that on Sense (I just updated to CM7)...I don't know if CM7 gives that same option...

I guess I'm trying to prevent a bunch of duplicate contacts from being downloaded to my phone...I'm not that familiar with manipulating contacts inside my google account, but I was hoping to weed-out any duplicates there are the front-end before syncing them to my phone and having to link them...I know they'd be linked, but that's still a bunch of extra crap taking-up space on my phone/card...

I'm really not trying to be difficult here...I promise...:)

I'd rather have duplicates than missing contacts myself. Have you checked the android market to see if there are any comprehensive Contact managers? I did a google search and several showed up. One thing to keep in mind, back-up what you are currently ok with, and then start making the tweaks.

Upvote 0
I'd rather have duplicates than missing contacts myself. Have you checked the android market to see if there are any comprehensive Contact managers? I did a google search and several showed up. One thing to keep in mind, back-up what you are currently ok with, and then start making the tweaks.

Very good point...

Does CM7 give the option to link duplicates?

Upvote 0

I GOT IT!!

I followed these instructions to import my back-up assistant contacts into google:

1. Log into Verizon Backup Assistant
2. Click on Export to CSV
3. Save File as (or Rename to) Contacts (it should already be converted to CSV so including .csv is redundant)
4. Log into Gmail/Google Voice
5. Click on Contacts
6. Click on Import
7. Browse for the Contacts (.csv) file
8. Click Import

(found at http://androidforums.com/droid-how-...st-verizon-backup-assistant-google-voice.html)

And then I followed these instructions to have google automatically merge duplicates:

To find and fix all of your duplicate data at once, use the following instructions:

1. Open the Contact Manager.
  2. Click the More actions drop-down menu, select Find and merge duplicates.
  3. We'll display the names of the contacts with duplicate data. If an entry has only one contact, then the contact itself has duplicate data (repeated phone numbers, emails, etc.) If an entry has two or more contacts, be sure to check whether these are duplicate contacts; many people have similar names. You can expand them by clicking details next to each one and unchecking any that you don't want to fix.
  4. When you're ready, click Merge at the top of the list.
(found at Merging contacts - Gmail Help).

Viola!!

But I seriously may go ahead and flash that rooted OTA and get a good satellite lock and then reflash CM7 so I can use GPS.

Thanks for all of your help, guys!

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Glad you got it working. So what did you do to resolve your data issue? I'm still having some drop out, and I reflashed back to a previous radio build. I started having a good data connection, but now I'm getting drop-out again. I'm convinced that either my data is being throttled or there is a network issue in my area that Verizon isn't being completely honest with me about, thus they said they're just going to swap out my TB.

Upvote 0
Glad you got it working. So what did you do to resolve your data issue? I'm still having some drop out, and I reflashed back to a previous radio build. I started having a good data connection, but now I'm getting drop-out again. I'm convinced that either my data is being throttled or there is a network issue in my area that Verizon isn't being completely honest with me about, thus they said they're just going to swap out my TB.

I haven't been having actual data issues. What caused the problems that I wrote about at the top of this thread was my forcing a Titanium back-up with all system data. Once I reflashed CM7 that problem was fixed.

But I'll definitely be monitoring any issues over the next few days. This is my first time to flash a custom ROM. I might try some others later, but it's just fun to experiment and see what can be done.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones