• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I messaged Alcatel asking about future updates to include Kitkat. This was their response:

Is this because of the hardware specs of the Fierce? I'm aware some are perhaps rooting theirs and adding custom apk's to make it look like Kitkat but it's not the same. This tells me Alcatel nor the mobile carriers will attempt to bring Kitkat to the One Touch Fierce. Jellybean is where it stops.

This phone is perfectly capable of running KitKat. Alcatel has moved on from the fierce and is releasing new phones. They literally dont care about this one anymore at least thats the vibe i got when I called and complained about my ot fierce freezing then crashing, 4th fierce I've had that has crashed, Ive spent a total of maybe $200 on this damn phone since january. Finally I decided not to pay anymore money and to give them a call, They have a 1 year manufacturers warranty on it. Hopefully i can Persuede them to give me my money back. Anyway, there is no way around the boot loader lock and probably wont be for some time, I'd recommend getting a new phone. Possibly the samsung galaxy exhibit from metro, theres a lot of dev love for that phone. I'm back with my old zte avid.

Upvote 0
It was fun while it lasted. I was really excited since it was my very first android phone as I stepped out of the BlackBerry. But it was too slow and laggy, and the bluetooth issue that I mentioned in the other thread. I'm disappointed that they're abandoning this phone. It's a cute little starter phone.

But I returned it and got an LG G2, a real huge difference.

Upvote 0
It was fun while it lasted. I was really excited since it was my very first android phone as I stepped out of the BlackBerry. But it was too slow and laggy, and the bluetooth issue that I mentioned in the other thread. I'm disappointed that they're abandoning this phone. It's a cute little starter phone.

But I returned it and got an LG G2, a real huge difference.

Its a pretty good phone for someone switching over from maybe an iOS phone or for someone on a budget and if you get it rooted and put some of the boot buddy scripts and boost the performance the phone is just as fast as say the galaxy s3 but its still got locked boot loader and that's what's keeping it from its real potential.

Upvote 0
I messaged Alcatel asking about future updates to include Kitkat. This was their response:

Is this because of the hardware specs of the Fierce? I'm aware some are perhaps rooting theirs and adding custom apk's to make it look like Kitkat but it's not the same. This tells me Alcatel nor the mobile carriers will attempt to bring Kitkat to the One Touch Fierce. Jellybean is where it stops.

This seems typical, manufactures seem to only update OS version numbers in some of the "flagship" phones that cost more. Not unexpected. but definitive confirmation is helpful.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones