• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No "Screen" info on battery usage after JB

bignose2

Mar 7, 2011
Hi,

One X

Just had the 4.1.1 update, all seemed to go smoothly,

However on Power/battery usage the is no "Screen" information
Main page is new & now split between apps & others
Apps: usual stuff...
HTC Sense being main %
Other usage:
WiFi
Phone Idle

These are the only 2 hardware things & no sign of screen anywhere.
Was always at top, especially being main draw.

No chart at top either

There is a chart & some info on the history screen but no detail & can't really see to a useful level.

Also noticed even after restart &/Or power off, seems to keep the history,
On "history" says been on battery 17 hours, not sure if this is because I have yet to charge back to 100% but would have thought a power off would have taken it back.

Side note, my Agenda widget on my home screen has just dissapearded, no big deal but never done that before? I definately did not accidently remove.

Not sure if attachment worked, if so the only thing that got cut off was the "phone idle" right at the bottom.

JBReSized.png

Pre JB had NOT been getting great battery so been investigating & quite pleased JB update as might clear out any problems & poss improvement but sees the opposite so far on my very limited testing.

Hi,

Many thanks for the info.

Just reached full charge & a reset did seem to refresh the history back to zero OK.

With ref. the no screen battery usage data. I am grateful for you pointing out that it is not just me & some HTC decision.

I have to say one of the dumbest decisions for quite a while.
It is the most important battery info there is.
Being the biggest drain (most of the time) you can do something about it, reduce the sleep time, reduce brightness etc. make sure you switch off as soon as you can but at least you know if it was the main reason for perhaps a faster loss of power at the end of the day.

On top of all that, why remove it, not doing any harm.

Anyway, thanks guy for putting my mind a rest, it seemed such a bizzare ommission I thought something was really broke..

Upvote 0
I noticed that some of the battery monitoring apps like GSam, while giving you info on screen usage time and consumption, no longer track consumption in the same way under JB as they did back under ICS. I'm guessing this is actually not the monitoring apps' fault, but the way the system itself reports it back to them.

For example, on days when I had numerous phone calls, it wasn't unusual that 40%+ of battery was consumed by phone. Now, it's close to 0%, but instead the Dialer shows up as the most power-consuming app.

Another weird thing is that things that previously (i.e. in ICS) were never close to being battery hogs now appear on top of the list: namely Kernel and Android System.

Is there actually something going on there with the kernel or is it just that the battery reporting now works differently and assigns consumption to Kernel whereas in reality it's some app that's causing the drain?

Upvote 0
Its likely that system changes mean gsam needs an update to report the changes correctly

That's what I think too, especially since I've heard journalists talk about how they are having trouble getting android 4.1 (and on) to accurately report battery test times (etc.) It seems to point that the way the system reports battery life and use (probably down to the kernel level) is different and thus apps need to adjust the way they work to match.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones