• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No trackball/pad = more fragmentation?

Does the fact the EVO lacks a trackball present any usability problems? I've played around with a few non-trackball Android phones and editing a text message was a real pain. In other words, it's hard to navigate around a text (or other message) without a trackball. I have fat fingers!

Does anyone that used to have a trackball-equipped phone, miss it on their EVO?

thanks
-v

Upvote 0
Two things I miss it for...

Rapidly scrolling through typed text. The keyboard has arrow keys but you must tap them repeatedly to move through the text. You can't long press and move it rapidly.

Secondly, when scrolling through the people you can't move the ball left or right to switch between home/work/cell numbers. You must "View Contact" to look at the different numbers. Even the little arrow is there beside the number indicating you could scroll to the side if you had something to scroll with...

Neither of those issues are important enough for me to care and I hadn't even thought about it for several weeks now until reading your post. So you won't miss it after awhile!

*Edit, I came from the Hero if that helps any...

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones