• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No WiFi / 4G / 3G after "GPS fix"

citg0

Lurker
Dec 3, 2014
Hi, folks.

I've had my Note3 since launch, and have always noticed the shoddy GPS. When my fiancee and I are going anywhere that requires GPS, we usually default to her using her GS4 to play co-pilot and my Note3 is the aux jukebox.

After it getting progressively worse over time, and noticeably so of late, I decided to hit up Google. I had seen that many people were having luck simply tightening the 9-10 Phillips-heads on the back of the phone. Apparently tightening these assists in the GPS receiver making contact with the mobo. I had also heard using a bit of threadlock, but didn't bother, because I figured this was just a trial run.

I went ahead and did this today, since I was getting frustrated with GPS taking longer to find my location than to actually get to my destination. Immediately, I noticed that I was not receiving any data (WiFi or otherwise). I didn't touch any part of the mobo, since all I had done was tighten the plastic rear cover down onto the mobo. Maybe a quarter turn at most, and I was using the bit by hand. I didn't put any ass on overtorquing these things at all.

I tried turning WiFi off and on, data off and on, restarting, rebooting router (even though my fiancee was having none of these problems, sitting right next to me). I am, however, still able to text and make phonecalls. I cannot confirm (in class at the moment) if my GPS woes were resolved.

I went ahead and took everything apart, including removing the top bit from the motherboard (all 6 connectors), hit everything with compressed air, and ensured everything was tightened back to what I felt it was tightened at before I started f'ing around (just a quick hand tighten). Still no dice.

Any ideas?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones