• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

non-market apps, non-rooted, on mac... without terminal?

pungey

Lurker
Sep 12, 2010
Hey everyone! JUST bought an aria yesterday and I LOVE it... so much better than the iPhone I had. I didn't want to go Aria because I wanted to be able to install non-market apps (mostly Swype) but had to pick an AT&T phone because I'm on a family plan with family members unwilling to leave their walled-gardens.

I read that it was possible to do a sideload via the HTC Sync app before buying it. Then I bought it and found out about Sideload Wonder Machine for mac... but while I'm very technologically proficient and would consider myself a power-user, I know nothing of shell scripts and Terminal makes me nervous, so I'd prefer something with a simple GUI.

does anyone, ANYBODY, know of a way to sideload non-market apps onto my shiny new Aria on a mac without using terminal? If not, could you give me a step-by-step guide for someone who has never used terminal before?

Thanks!

does anyone, ANYBODY, know of a way to sideload non-market apps onto my shiny new Aria on a mac without using terminal?

That is a no to that question.

If not, could you give me a step-by-step guide for someone who has never used terminal before?

I will see if I can work some instructions up. I have never used wonder machine before so I will have to look into it a bit. Do you know how to find the terminal app on your mac? Because even the wonder machine appears to use it.

Upvote 0
1) download slwm app for mac from here http://rootmydroid.co.uk/dropzone/swm/swm-mac.zip and unzip it.

2) Drag the newly created folder to your user/home directory

3) Drag the app you want to install into the "2-Place-App-Here" folder which is inside the folder you just moved to your home directory. The app you drag into the folder should have apk extension not zip.

4) Find the settings on your phone to turn on usb debugging. Hit menu then settings then applications then Development then turn on usb debugging and debugging notify if available.

5) plug your phone into a usb port on your computer (not a hub) you should see a notification that you are in usb debugging mode

6) back to the computer

7) Open the terminal by double clicking its icon in the Utilities folder.

8) Once open make sure the terminal is the front most window and type this on the keyboard. "cd swm-mac" (without quotes) and hit the enter or return key.

9) Now type "./menu.sh" and hit enter key.

10) you should now see the wonder machine menu in the terminal window.

11) enter 1 on your keyboard and push enter. This will get the program started and install the app you dragged to the folder in step (3). Follow instructions as they appear in the terminal.

That should be it. Please read the regular thread for the wonder machine over at android central as it explains the limitations and such.

Lets us know how it goes.

Upvote 0
Okay, the password error was fixed by using an admin account (duh). But now I'm getting a permission denied error... I'll do some searching and see what I find and post it here. What I was really getting stuck on at the beginning was navigating to the SWM menu. Thanks for all your help!

EDIT: and SUCCESS! Here's what I did:

Go to the 'scripts' folder and open 'pushtodata.sh' in a text editor and replace 'sudo ./adb push 2-Place-App-Here/$appname /data/app/'
with 'sudo ./adb install 2-Place-App-Here/$appname'
(The bit after the $ may be different in the script, use what's in the script)

Now to activate Swype! Thanks again for your help!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones