• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Noob question about talking on phone and your cheek :)

Crodley

Android Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2010
Hi all,

I've never had a smartphone YET, but my daughter has a Droid and says she hates that when talking on it, her cheek touches the screen and changes stuff while talking. She's new to the phone itself, so is she doing something wrong or is this just a con of smartphones?

Or is this a Droid thing and not an EVO thing?

Hey, I told you it was a noob question :)

Yes, the Evo has a proximity detector. My Hero did not and I would constantly hit buttons with my cheek.

To test this, pull the phone away from your face quickly when you end a call. you will see the screen appear.

I'm shocked they don't all do. My original iphone from 2007 had a proximity sensor. I would guess the droid does too. I think there is an option to turn it off so maybe she needs to check her settings? It should not allow her face to change anything during a phone call.

Upvote 0
proximity sensor on the evo automatically detects when the phone is against your face and turns off the screen. not sure if the droid has this or not. works flawlessly on my evo.

^^^ This

I'm honestly amazed at how perfect it works. I also love the ring quieting feature when you pick up the phone, so cool.

Now, if I could change the "slide down to answer" gesture to something more similar to my old HTC TD2, slide to the green side to answer, red side to ignore, I'd be in heaven!

Upvote 0
Yeah, I was pretty pumped when I saw this feature in action.

The first time, I was on going through an automated system, hitting 1 for English, etc. I thought, wow, the phone knows when it expects me to enter a number on the keypad, then I realized the next day that the screen comes on every time I move it from my face.

Upvote 0
guys HELP please, im having the same problem, my problem is when im done with a phone call and ready to hang up, when i take the phone away from my face the screen just keeps flashing instead of staying lit up so i can press End Call to hang up the phone, is this a problem with my proximity sensor, and should i take the EVO back because this is the only problem i have with my phone

Upvote 0
guys HELP please, im having the same problem, my problem is when im done with a phone call and ready to hang up, when i take the phone away from my face the screen just keeps flashing instead of staying lit up so i can press End Call to hang up the phone, is this a problem with my proximity sensor, and should i take the EVO back because this is the only problem i have with my phone

I would try a hard reset first. If its a problem with the sensor, it would do that during the call too.

Upvote 0
The Moment had problems with the sensor. I constantly would feel vibration on my cheek from hitting either the mute or speaker buttons on the screen. It was annoying. Never heard of droid having that issue and my partner has one. The Evo works flawlessly in that department, for me at least. And I do have long hair. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones