• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Noobie Questions about android flashing

Follows the instructions in this link
ODIN Guide: How to Flash and Upgrade the Samsung Galaxy Mini S5570 2.3.4 Gingerbread S5570XXKPI Stock ROM/Firmware update ~ Android Solution

coming to your questions:

You do not need to erase current firmware, as you are flashing a new firmware, old firmware is erased automatically.

It is not "room" but actually "ROM". There is no custom ROM available for galaxy mini as of now... the only firmwares that can be installed are samsung releases. Do not make experiments with these custom ROMs as some people bricked their phones already.

Now about downgrading, I think you do not need to downgrade back to froyo..because I am using gingerbread for a few days and it seems more stable than froyo and provides best performance. Before you upgrade to gingerbread you should take a backup of current firmware, but I do not know how we can do this. Yes...it is not possible to revert to froyo without doing that, but you can find froyo firmware files in samfirmware and you can install froyo back just like you do with gingerbread.

Upvote 0
ODIN Guide: How to Flash and Upgrade the Samsung Galaxy Mini S5570 2.3.4 Gingerbread S5570XXKPI Stock ROM/Firmware update ~ Android Solution

You do not need to erase current firmware, as you are flashing a new firmware, old firmware is erased automatically.

It is not "room" but actually "ROM". There is no custom ROM available for galaxy mini as of now... the only firmwares that can be installed are samsung releases. Do not make experiments with these custom ROMs as some people bricked their phones already.

Now about downgrading, I think you do not need to downgrade back to froyo..because I am using gingerbread for a few days and it seems more stable than froyo and provides best performance. Before you upgrade to gingerbread you should take a backup of current firmware, but I do not know how we can do this. Yes...it is not possible to revert to froyo without doing that, but you can find froyo firmware files in samfirmware and you can install froyo back just like you do with gingerbread.

Thanks, just one more thing.
My phone shutdown 2 times yesterday and 1 more during the night, this is normal issue on the phone, some app could cause this?still on stock firmware....
Can i upgrade directly to 2.3.4 or i need to flash with 2.3.3 first?

Upvote 0

I'm from the Asia and I've seen the firmware for Gingerbread, however, it is listed under another region's firmware set (Europe). Would this work if I use it for my phone? Thank You!

Upvote 0
I'm from the Asia and I've seen the firmware for Gingerbread, however, it is listed under another region's firmware set (Europe). Would this work if I use it for my phone? Thank You!

Depends where you are in Asia mate, some parts of Asia don't use the GSM network like we do in Europe, the galaxy pop is a good example... exact same phone on a different network (CDMA) if you are using GSM it should work fine, it is an unbranded version, I've tried it (I'm in england) and the default language installed is russian (S5570XXKPI_SERKPI_XXKPI) Gingerbread 2.3.4

Other than that so far it's been smooth sailing

Reactions: watcherofhelm
Upvote 0
I'm new to android...i would like to root n then flash to gingerbread first before going for custom roms.
I guess superoneclick is the best way to root.
1. are there any procedures to be done before rooting?
2. wat are the things to be done after rooting n before flashing?
3. I read rom manager screws things up..i'm thinking of using titanium for backups, is it fine?
4. I think the ginderbread firmware is frm europe..does is suit galaxy pop (gsm) frm india?
5. Those who have flashed, cud u provide the link n steps which is perfect n worked for u?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones