• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Not receiving calls when browsing on GPRS!

On a more constructive note, I have been discussing this problem with Tmobileuk support on Twitter, as of this morning they are going to discuss with their Network team why DTM isn't enabled next week when the office is back open.

I'm not hoping for much but maybe.

Just to clarify I am not campaigning for this for my benefit only, obviously it would be beneficial for me to also but this could quite reasonably affect a lot of people, it was only brought to my attention when I had 4 missed calls (and the subsequent txts) from my wife, now she has a medical condition that possibly could put her in a serious state, now I don't need to tell you how important it is that in that situation if someone has to get in touch with you, they can't because of a network limitation.

As I just typed this a commercial came on with a father receiving a call from his daughter who had just broken up with her partner, he goes rushing off from his obviously important award/celebration party and gets to her...... the voiceover states how important it is to get through to the people you care about.

The brand...Vodafone

Spooky, soppy as $hit but very relevant

Upvote 0
DTM stands for Dual Transfer Mode and (as afar as I can google) it seems to be a packet switching system to allow both data and voice to work simultaniously on Class B devices (or something along those lines). This is not the same as "on-demand switching" between Data only and Voice only which is how Class B GPRS devices are expected to work. This means the DTM thing will be usefull but I don't think it's relevant to our problems.

I've just done a google for the same issue on the Nexus ONe, Xperia X10 and the iPhone. The iphone 3g had the same problem but I can't find any mention of it on the X10 or Nexus One.

Maybe we are all in a panic about nothing but the alarms bells are still goign off in my head. i'm seriously considering a switch to the X10 (even though it won't have an up to date OS)

More digging to be done.

/mub

Upvote 0
Just been reading through this thread and tested my T-Mobile G1 to see what results I got:

T-Mobile UK
Google G1 phone
Set my phone to use only 2G network
Started an application update and waited for the progress bar to start

Then got Mub (above) to call me.. and it rang the phone immediately and stopped the app from downloading. Data switched to Voice automatically and no missed call.

Once the call had ended, my app continued to download and I received a gtalk message.
Voice switched back to Data automatically again

This little test says to me that:

T-Mobile network is fine (no need for DTM enabling, unless it's by region ??)
GPRS limitations are fine (it automatically switches between data and voice)

That just leaves the HTC Desire as the problem...

Upvote 0
I'm with O2 simplicity 20 and I have the HTC Desire. This has been a major problem with my phone, receiving and making calls. I am also unable to send mms messages. After reading this thread i have a better understanding of what the reason is. However i'm a bit confused whether it is the phone at fault or the network? and depending on which one what i can possibly do to try and resolve this. I have just switched my mobile network off and it seems to be fine aprt from the mms. Anyone else on O2 simplicity with a HTC Desire?

Upvote 0
Or Android 2.1

Good point!

Did the same steps with a friends Legend (2.1) in 2G only and works as expected: Data stops and the call comes through.

mubbery said:
Got an interesting update here.....

Missed Calls on the HTC Desire - Page 2 - xda-developers

Apparently an update to the radio software cured the issue.

Update the Radio or wait for 2.2 to come I guess.... :D

Upvote 0
I'm gonna add to this, I'm on O2 and have various problems with calls going to voicemail which I understood to be because of the 2G limitations however today I was playing music through the loud speaker and my husband asked what would happen when the phone rang and music was playing, I assumed the call would take priority over the music (it does on my old nokia) but no he rang me and it went straight to voicemail, stopped the music and it rang fine I've also had problems when the phone is on charge but only when I'm using the lead which came with the phone if I use my nokia's lead calls get through.

All seems a bit odd to me.

I'm sure I've also seen on another post that someone on Orange rang orange and they said it was settings at their end which they changed and all worked fine

Upvote 0
Done a test today and if I turn GPRS off whilst I'm listening to music calls come through fine as soon as I turn GPRS back on calls go straight to voicemail.

What has GPRS got to do with listening to media files which are on my SD card???!!!

I guess it could have been doing some update svaia GPRS but who knows it seems the answer is to only switch GPRS on if you're certain you have better

Upvote 0
i bought samsung s i9003 on 2nd apr 2011. i got surprised to find no one can reach me while i m browsing over gprs or edge. i m also using nokia n73 where i never faced this stupid problem. just for saving me, i kept my voice calls diverted to n73 while my new i9003 gets unreachable while online.

this is serious problem and must have immediate fix.

Upvote 0
This happens to me on 2G too. Which would explain why, in the past, when I used to use my phone as a smartphone, that I used to miss so many calls..

I am on Orange UK and the 3G connection I get it awful and reverts to 2G
regularly, so it's a good job I leave data off all the time.

Seems that using a HTC smart phone on Orange isn't the best idea until they actually deliver a decent 3G connection, which I don't hold up much hope for. Don't know whether to blame Orange or HTC, and my old phones in the past used to be smart enough to answer my calls :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones