• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Not to be sexist, but...

HJAcevedo

Mar 20, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Is it just me or are most smartphone couples that use different os split in this way; male = android and female = iphone.

WOAH! Put that torch down! From my (mostly) lurking on here I notice that most threads that involve a loved one using an iPhone is split this way, but I paid no mind to it. That is, until my girlfriend just got herself an iPhone4s. I tried to convince her that Android is the way to go, but she always claimed it was way too complicated for her while the iPhone is simple.

Fair enough. I customized my Android to MY liking so naturally she wouldn't like it, but she didn't understand that.

Anyway, tldr, long story short, etc etc. Am I going crazy or does it seem like Android = man iPhone = woman when it comes to couples splitting the os love.

Heck I wouldn't mind my wife having an iPhone at least its progressing with the touchscreen times lol. I wanted her to get an Android but she insisted she wanted another N95 :gtfo: as she prefers physical buttons. As a last resort and to get her on the bandwagon I showed her the X10 Mini Pro (in Pink :facepalm: think thats the only thing that sold it to her) but she loves the phone and its Android. However I think I'm gradually breaking down the resistance as after having an issue with it (which was unfortunately resolved) I had her agreeing to a possible HTC Wildfire S in purple (colour again :morefacepalm:) I'll get her on board properly yet I tell thee...

Upvote 0
The so-called proof is unscientific nonsense.

As the dumb meme that iPhones are easier to use.

There are a lot of iPhone users out there. Asking them to change leads to the nonsense that an iPhone is easier because change seems to be hard for many people.

When my mom was 80, she picked up my Evo and its use mastered in under 5 minutes. After that, her first question was why my sister went with such a hard to use and obtuse phone - the iPhone.

Public support for threads like this just help Apple marketing sell more phones to more women, I guess.

And so you know, our membership here of over 700,000 people on this forum has a very large number of women.

Phone use ability, like intelligence, is not gender specific.

If you are sure that women can't handle Android, then I am sure that you are hanging out with the wrong women.

Upvote 0
What's wrong with being sexy?

For Android, according to the Japanese, nothing wrong with that at all.

Too funny!

Android Has Its Own Japanese Manga Comic

71299.jpeg

Sweet Android Highschool chronicles the pursuits of the world

Upvote 0
My smartphone toting group of friends is Android heavy; 3 girls, 5 guys. BB gets 2 girls and iPhone gets 1 girl and 1 guy. My family is Apple heavy, much to my chagrin; 3 girls, 3 guys but Android has some show power with 2 girls and 1 guy.
I have tried to use an iPhone and just don't like it. I'm sure if I spent more time with it I would get the whole 1 button system down but it actually was confusing for me. lol. I like my back button and my home button and my widgets and my customization much better than just a big app drawer!

Upvote 0
Apple's simplicity is obtuse to me, just like your mom, Early. Once one figures out the couple of main inputs with an Android, it all kinda makes sense. How the hell can iPhone folks manage with one button? I don't get it.

That's all you need, one button. Android is getting closer and closer to that. Just like ICS, all of iOS app menus are accessible through a menu button or icon in the app itself. Notice on ICS, there is no more physical or capacative menu button or search button.

I give my godson my Android phone and after 2 minutes he hands it back to me and goes and grabs his mother's iPhone and never lets it go. He's 3 and to him, using the iPhone just comes naturally -- Android, not so much.

If Apple ever makes an iPhone with a 4" screen that I can jailbreak, I'd switch in a hurry. :)

Upvote 0
It took a while for Apple to get that a one button mouse was not the way to go, but they got it.

As for ICS dropping the search button - Samsung has been big on 3 button phones before - and that fourth button shows up contextually now on ICS apps. And capacitive buttons are far from dead, and are supported in ICS.

If you like the iPhone, you're not alone, it's quite popular. I think when your 3 year old can make phone calls and read that one button thing might not be such a huge proof for ease of use for a smartphone.

Upvote 0
My comment to people when asked about Android vs. iPhone is this: If you already have an iPhone and enjoy it, there is no need to switch. The cost of buying your apps when moving from iPhone to Android for someone who is an established user could get quite expensive but, if you want variety, configureability and a large, supportive community then Android is the way to go.

My wife and I are both Android users and will both probably never change.

Upvote 0
It took a while for Apple to get that a one button mouse was not the way to go, but they got it.

As for ICS dropping the search button - Samsung has been big on 3 button phones before - and that fourth button shows up contextually now on ICS apps. And capacitive buttons are far from dead, and are supported in ICS.

If you like the iPhone, you're not alone, it's quite popular. I think when your 3 year old can make phone calls and read that one button thing might not be such a huge proof for ease of use for a smartphone.

Actually I find Android quite counter intuitive when it comes to accessing all of the menus and settings. Also, creating folders is quite tedious -- probably why ICS went the way of iOS.

We could argue all day about just the usability aspect, but after using both since 2007, iOS is much easier to navigate and much more user friendly.

Upvote 0

Phone use ability, like intelligence, is not gender specific.

I think EM is subtly saying here that gender doesn't matter with regard to phone use- Just intelligence. Ergo, smarter people use android...

I'd agree with that. Plus, my wife is really smart, and *she* uses Android, so, there you have it! Proof positive Android phones make you smarter *and* sexier!
:p

Upvote 0
Actually I find Android quite counter intuitive when it comes to accessing all of the menus and settings. Also, creating folders is quite tedious -- probably why ICS went the way of iOS.

We could argue all day about just the usability aspect, but after using both since 2007, iOS is much easier to navigate and much more user friendly.

I've used iPhones since their launch, Android only since 2009 or so. Everyone's mileage varies.

+1 For Spinal Tap reference no one else caught.

My response to this topic...:rolleyes:

Doh! Ok - don't forget to mouse over the cartoon. :D

xkcd: Spinal Tap Amps

Reactions: 9to5cynic
Upvote 0
Yeah, anyway - me and my wife, Android. Son and his wife - Android. One daughter and her fiance - Android. Other daughter, iPhone 4 and hates it, looking to upgrade to Android, her husband, recently gave up his featurephone and is shopping Android exclusively.

The kids came by, showed me their iPhones, I handed them an Evo and said here's what these four buttons do, went off to play with grandkids. Said nothing else. Three immediate iPhone converts.

When my granddaughter was ready for her first phone recently (that she _earned_), she went with me to the store when I picked up my Evo 3D. She couldn't believe that I wouldn't get an iPhone, she has an iPod Touch. I said nothing negative about her potential choice - just that there is no perfect phone, just the perfect phone for each individual, like ordering food in a restaurant. We didn't discuss it further. When the day came, she came back with a Droid X. When I asked her why, she simply said - this was the best choice for me, I like that it can do more.

The only person in the crowd I directly influenced was my wife. And now you can't get her to consider an iPhone - Android makes sense to her, and she's a fine artist and far from any sort of tech-phreak.

Everyone's mileage varies. I still say there's no gender rule on phone ownership.

Reactions: novox77 and B2L
Upvote 0
Apple's simplicity is obtuse to me, just like your mom, Early.

I can't help it but no matter how many times I read this, it looks like you're dissing Early's mom :eek: ....even though I get what you're trying to say....lol

As much as I'd like to agree with the statement from a man's point of view, it reminds me of back in the day when everyone claimed that women mostly drove V6 Mustangs while men drove the V8 variety. You'll always be able to find some stats that will back either claim or refute either claim, but the truth is that neither brand is gender specific nor is one brand manlier than the other.

To give you an example, most of the higher level executives at my place of employment use an iPhone and only 1 mid-level executive uses an Android. Does that then mean that the iPhone is preferred by the well to do? Most likely not, but one can always twist statistics to serve their own purpose.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones