• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Note 4 to Straight Talk, Please Answer

robrileyw

Lurker
Dec 17, 2014
Hi, I'm just now coming out of the stone age and ditching my non smartphone (Pantech Renue) for what I believe to be one of the best smartphones out to date...the Samsung Galaxy Note 4. I have some serious questions before I make the switch from AT&T to Straight Talk with a Note 4. Here are my questions:

1) When purchasing a new Galaxy Note 4, could I purchase a Note 4 locked to AT&T and just purchase the byop activation kit from Straight Talk? Or do i NEED to buy an unlocked at&t/GSM Note 4 to work on Straight Talk network?

2) What are the best going websites for purchasing a New/Mint condition Note 4 at a reasonable rate (out of contract rate) ?

3) Any tips when making switch from AT&T to ST? How do you make sure mms works while on ST with Note 4?

4) What happens if I root the phone and freeze any apps I don't necessarily want to use? Does it mean the phone will have to be resold at a significantly lower price than a phone that hasn't been rooted?

I appreciate any and all feedback! Thanks!

1) yes, you can use any AT&T phone on Straight Talk. Just put in the Straight Talk SIM and set the APN settings.
2) I can't really help with this one other than to say that I have bought plenty of phones from Amazon. Also try Ebay
3) Just set the APN settings
4) Not if you flash it back to stock, but you will have to research whether or not this is possible with the version you buy.

Note: My experience is that I used a locked AT&T Note 3 on Straight Talk for a year and I am now using an unlocked international Note 4 on Straight Talk. The only way you will be able to use LTE on Straight Talk is with the AT&T version though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones