• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Note 4 volume control with screen locked

charles_s

Jan 6, 2015
This is something that has slowly been driving me crazy; a small thing maybe but a real annoyance. It never was an issue with my Note, Note 2 or Note 3. This is the Galaxy Note 4 with Android 5.1.1. Why is it that the physical volume control button on the left side of the device does not work when the screen is locked ?

Leave aside the fact that the sound quality on the Note 4 is atrocious and much worse than on any of the previous Note versions I have owned (the 8-transistor radio I owned when I was twelve years old in 1963 had better sound). That is a separate question.

Nevertheless, I do use headphones to listen and with these I am susceptible to the usual sudden and crazy changes in volume of many streaming audio channels. If I am listening while, say, outdoors and walking, it would be lovely just to use the volume control button to quickly adjust. But no, that won't work. I have to pull the phone out, turn the screen on (logging in if it is locked) and THEN turn the volume up or down. Maybe being deafened in the meantime. I have taken to wearing my headphones half-on and half-off my ears to get around this and slip them back and forth depending on the volume changes. Surely there must be a better way.

Has anyone else come across this ? Please let me know if there is a solution. Have found nothing in setting and nothing by way of apps that would help.

Charles

I have never had a problem with that, but then I don't listen to music period.
The only time I'm using my phone is during a phone call ( if it is in my pocket) and it always responds to the volume controls.

and yes, I have a Note 4 and I disagree with the lousy audio comment. It has the best audio of any phone I have ever used. I was totally shock at how good it is, and I have had Samsung Galaxys 'S' and 'S5' and 'S4'... the Note is better than all of them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones