• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Note 7 and WiFi issues with BS Player

RichardChiu

Jul 11, 2013
I noticed that playing MKV or MP4 videos (HW accelerated) in BS Player stuttered over LAN (SMB share). It wasn't playing at a smooth 24fps. My Note 7 is connected via AC wireless to my TP-LINK C9 router. Changed the access point settings, including channel, transmit power, AC only to no avail. Restarted Note 7 and router and problem quickly returned, all videos just stuttered.

I tried copying a video to SD card on Note 7 and played using BS Player with no problems. Playback was smooth without stutters.

This is frustrating as my 2 year old Xperia Z3 has no problems playing the same videos over LAN without stutters. I've tried changing my wireless router settings, BS Player settings and nothing seems to work. Any thoughts on what I can do to resolve this issue?

I tried MX Player and it doesn't support connecting to SMB shares. However, I did try using Solid Explorer to browse to the SMB share and open the video using MX Player and same issue, it stutters. I know SMB is not the best when it comes to performance but I've had no problems with the Xperia Z3 and also tried with a Galaxy S6. There is definitely an issue with the Note 7 connecting to SMB shares.

Upvote 0
Thank you, I did try VLC and video still stutters when connecting to SMB share. However, I have an DLNA server and no issues with playback using VLC. This confirms my suspicion that the Note 7 definitely struggles with SMB.

You know what, I was watching a review on Youtube the other day that mentioned an issue with playback on videos that were stored on the SD card (Sorry, I can't remember exactly who did the review). They compared videos they created that were stored with internal storage vs. ones that were on external storage and said it was like day and night.

Not sure if that's the case with your videos, but figured I'd bring that up, just in case that ends up being the issue. I've heard of similar situations where people are using older SD cards that don't have a fast enough read/write speed to keep up.

Upvote 0
Using the WiFi Speed Test app, I was able to confirm that the Note 7 is significantly slower at SMB transfers than a Galaxy S6. This would explain the stuttering I'm experiencing when streaming videos via SMB. Can someone else with a Note 7 validate this same SMB performance issue. I really hope Samsung addresses this with a software update.

http://imgur.com/DAZeSlI

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones