• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Note 9 issue after weekly restart

IamNegan

Lurker
May 1, 2020
Hi,

I just performed my weekly restart of my note 9, and now every minute or so I'm getting a message on the bottom of the screen saying "restart the application". It fades away after a few seconds and doesn't interfere with any actions, but I can already see this is going to be a huge annoyance! I've tried rebooting again, but it doesn't help, and obviously I have no idea what app I'm supposed to be restarting. Has anyone else has this issue or ideas for a fix? Thanks!

What application are you running when you see this toast message?

Or does it pop up randomly with any app you are using?

I have only seen such a message if I am using a memory intensive app, and something running in the background stops due to the system shutting it down to distribute memory to the new app.

Example (from a 1GB device that I have):
I use a firewall app that runs all the time.
If I start a game called Narcos: Cartel Wars, it will often make the system close the firewall app.

This will cause a similar message to appear, because the firewall is designed to run constantly, yet the system has closed it.

Do you have any user apps that are supposed to run constantly- that could be getting shut down while using other apps?

Upvote 0
What application are you running when you see this toast message?

Or does it pop up randomly with any app you are using?

I have only seen such a message if I am using a memory intensive app, and something running in the background stops due to the system shutting it down to distribute memory to the new app.

Example (from a 1GB device that I have):
I use a firewall app that runs all the time.
If I start a game called Narcos: Cartel Wars, it will often make the system close the firewall app.

This will cause a similar message to appear, because the firewall is designed to run constantly, yet the system has closed it.

Do you have any user apps that are supposed to run constantly- that could be getting shut down while using other apps?
I finally fixed it very early this morning...turns out it was caused by me turning off an overlay for a custom navigation bar app yesterday. I needed to turn off an overlay due to a Chrome issue I was having where I was unable to select an answer to a permissions request - I was in a hurry so I turned off all overlays and didn't get around to debugging it properly lol! Thanks anyway for attempting to assist!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones