• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nothing but problems:/

is yours just the bars or the coverage itself? just wondering (not picking) because my WiFi indicator SUCKS but I great speed no matter what it says .. so was just truly curious :)

forgot the quote:

I've been having the same exact issues as you. I even spoke with people in my apartment complex who also have Sprint but are using old/cheap flip phones and they get plenty of signal. My Evo, on the other hand, gets zero bars inside my apartment and one or two outside. I live in Houston right off a major interstate, so coverage should be superb.

I'm off to pick up a replacement phone from Best Buy in a few minutes. We'll see if it makes a difference.

Upvote 0
Oh yes. The very first phone call I made from my apartment (near the window no less) cut in and out constantly and eventually dropped altogether after about 10 minutes. I've had the same thing happen a few times since as well.

Off to pick up my replacement. I'm going to try a hard reset on the way to the store as well, since it won't matter if I lose all my apps now anyway.

Upvote 0
Oh yes. The very first phone call I made from my apartment (near the window no less) cut in and out constantly and eventually dropped altogether after about 10 minutes. I've had the same thing happen a few times since as well.

Off to pick up my replacement. I'm going to try a hard reset on the way to the store as well, since it won't matter if I lose all my apps now anyway.

Let us know how the replacement goes.. I hope (for your sanity) that it is ok :)

Upvote 0
Go here: Root Wireless - CNET Reviews

and compare real-world coverage of the major carriers. (Your place may not have the comparison yet, because it is a beta.) Otherwise, go to the Sprint site and drill down to the street level to see how the Sprint coverage compares to your experience. If there is a significant difference, it may be some other interference.

Sprint will also often provide a free Airwave and service instead of losing a customer.

Upvote 0
Since you seem to want to stick this out, good for you. So you stated you did the prl thing right? Step 2 will be this. AntennaSearch - Search for Cell Towers, Cell Reception, Hidden Antennas and more. Do a search and see how many towers are within a 4 miles of you.

River!!

Where have you been. ? I have not seen your your overall impression on this phone we have been talking about for so long.

Do tell. Or I believe your still collecting data? I really want your input. Phone is special in many ways eh?

Is the wifi on/ 3g4g battery sucker the problem here?

Upvote 0
agreed on the airave.. i have 2 sprint towers within 1 mile of me and i still have 1-2 bars at home because our homes are so heavily insulated (even the tv antenna and gps antenna cannot get a signal unless it's by the window... remember this when you setup the airave). so, i called sprint said i want to cancel this crappy service and they gave me the airave for free with no monthly charges for lifetime (but be careful each time they revise the website.. it f*cks up the retention deals and discounts.

Upvote 0
Let us know how the replacement goes.. I hope (for your sanity) that it is ok :)

Replacement phone is working MUCH better. It connected to 4G immediately at the store and I was getting 2.5mb down. 3G seemed to be going faster as well, but I haven't had time to do enough tests in enough different areas to know for certain. But I was getting as high as 1.5mb down in the same area.

Unfortunately, the service in my apartment is still pretty dodgy. One to two bars of cellular and .1mb down on the 3G. A tech support rep DID say that there was some trouble with the towers in my area, but he could've just been blowing smoke. I'm willing to give it a few more weeks and see though.

Another Sprint rep offered me one of those Airave thingies, but I'll need to read up on them some more before I agree to something like that. Like how much of my DSL bandwidth it's going to eat, how secure it is, etc.

Upvote 0
call retentions and tell them you are having nothing but dropped calls at your house and you want to cancel service. then mention that a sprint rep at the store told you about the airave and how you can get it for free and not have to pay for service on it. if they bite you are good to go. if not, cancel. its that simple. I got my airave and service free this way.

Upvote 0
Is the wifi on/ 3g4g battery sucker the problem here?

Long story short the phone is very new. The firmware is very buggy. And the radio is down right schizophrenic.

Everything that is bad can and will be fix. But the radio seems to use very little power finding the signal, but once it gets a lock on the signal, boosts the power to keep it.

I was standing about 30 feet from a tower with 1 bar and then I was 4 miles from a tower with all bars.

It is just the firmware and software is not pounded out. Which is why we bought the first round of the phone. To be testers. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/schizophrenic

Upvote 0
1. Amazing AMOLED
2. Incredible is faster (cnet confirms)
3. Incredible has 3 times as much space for installing apps
4. Incredible has 8gb internal storage
5. Incredible has optical pad which is required for many apps/games
6. Inc has longer battery life

Stop with the derail...

Back on topic - I would call Sprint and ask them for an Airave and that may extend the limited coverage you have at least within your home. Someone linked it above.

Upvote 0
1. Amazing AMOLED
2. Incredible is faster (cnet confirms)
3. Incredible has 3 times as much space for installing apps
4. Incredible has 8gb internal storage
5. Incredible has optical pad which is required for many apps/games
6. Inc has longer battery life

1. A lot of people have said the screen doesn't reproduce colors accurately, plus it's smaller.
2. CNet didn't actually benchmark it, they just went off what they "felt". This review states that the EVO is indeed faster than the Incredible, which makes sense considering the stats. HTC EVO 4G and HTC DROID Incredible: side by side - page2 (Phone Arena Reviews)
3. Actually, it doesn't. There's 740mb of ROM, 512mb of RAM and 8GB internal (6.6 accessible) on the Incredible. The EVO has 1GB of ROM, 1GB of RAM, and while it only has 1GB internal, it ships with an 8GB SD card.
4. Covered this already, but the Incredible only has 6.6 which is accessible to the user, while the EVO ships with an 8GB SD card.
5. I'm sure there will be plenty of new games that will get introduced now that the EVO is actually out.
6. This is probably true since the Incredible can't do as much as the EVO can.

Upvote 0
Long story short the phone is very new. The firmware is very buggy. And the radio is down right schizophrenic.

Everything that is bad can and will be fix. But the radio seems to use very little power finding the signal, but once it gets a lock on the signal, boosts the power to keep it.

I was standing about 30 feet from a tower with 1 bar and then I was 4 miles from a tower with all bars.

It is just the firmware and software is not pounded out. Which is why we bought the first round of the phone. To be testers. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/schizophrenic

Well again, words of wisdom. I feel the same way like a beta tester. And the radio is doing strange things in atl as well. Voice quality is either great or terrible. 3g is faster than 4 g etc

I don't know what I turned off but today I actually got a full day of surfing texting talking. It's unbelievable the difference. It's just crazy how it's sent to us with all the bloatware and synch crap.

Anyway good to find you and hear from you in this mad forum my dear.

I've

Upvote 0
I want the Evo so I will just have to deal with the shitty service.Maybe they will build more towers.

Tex

Call Customer Service, tell them of your problem, and you might just return the phone and switch to a carrier with better coverage in your area. They might just give you the Airave for free. And this will give you great signal inside your home, by accessing your broadband internet connection. :)

Upvote 0
I understand your frustration. We swithed from AT&T with 2 iphones to Sprint for the Evo's. We live 1 mile west of downtown Minneapolis. Sprint claims to have excellent 3g coverage here. BUT, we were consistently dropping calls and our 3g speeds were 300-700k (which is pathetic). I called Sprint, and after doing some stuff to both evo's, they said that the 300-700k was within the acceptable 3g speed range. They offered some sort of device that connects to my home internet and I said no. I'm not paying to use their wireless network, and then instead use my home internet instead.

WE LOVE THE EVO'S. I can't explain how much we like them. BUT they are going back. With AT&T we get anywhere from 1.4-3.5mb download 24 hours a day here in Minneapolis (proper). I find even 700k with Sprint to be worthless. My wifi signal on the Evo is terrible. The call quality is bad, so both Evo's are going back :(

I feel so torn about sending the Evo's back. But as everyone knows, you choice your carrier 1st, then the phone.

Upvote 0
No one's coverage is the same everywhere so it is important to know what works well in your area. It sounds as though the OP's issues are coming from a poor coverage area but then again it could be a faulty device.

My old phone used to say it had full bars worth of service most of the time but it is only the phone's description of the service and not so much the service itself. With six bars now it may appear it is worse than it really is. I don't believe you can really go off 6 bars, more like 5 instead. No one I know can get 6 bars, maybe if they live right next to a tower but even so I doubt that.

My service coverage is the same being that I came from Sprint already and I actually feel it is an improvement having a new phone especially data but the EVO indicates coverage is less but to me it really isn't. At home it works with no problems at 3-4 bars mostly and at work where I get 1-2 it is also as functional with no problems. A co-worker has the Incredible with Verizon and has said the same thing about the bars dropping compared to his old phone but everything is as before and actually better. He gets the same amount of service where we work. I think HTC has some updating to do, that's all.

As far as dropped calls, a lot of the time it comes from the user on the other end as well. I have a friend who lives in a low coverage area for all carriers and it is the main reason for our dropped calls. Not likely considering it is suddenly happening on both phones since you switched but you never know.

The freezing part is very strange and the error messages are likey from the data completely cutting out. Do you have to restart the phone as a result of the freeze?

Much of this should improve with continuing updates, also if there is bad weather or obstructions that could be the reason for your lost data connection and signal. In fact it happened to me today but quickly came back after no more than 5 minutes. Call customer service and see if they pinpoint what the problem is.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones