• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nova launcher prime problem?

jboku

Oct 6, 2011
So I don't know what happened but now when I press the home button it keeps asking me which launcher I want to use even when I say always use nova launcher. This started happening the other day. Anyone else have this issue???

This seems to only happen when I am in Google now and press the home button

I have been using Nova Launcher Prime for over a month with no problems on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3, until several days ago .....

Nova Launcher Prime crashes many times now everyday!!! I cannot Clear Data because it's "Grey", which means it is NOT active. I tried a different Launcher, but still cannot Clear Data on Nova Launcher Prime.

I did Clear Cache, which did NOT help.

Looks like I will have to Uninstall Nova Launcher Prime, then Reinstall, but I don't have time to put everything back like it is now, so will need to wait a few days, or until the weekend .....

I am still running JellyBean 4.3. I'm not sure if I want to upgrade to KitKat 4.4.2, with so many people complaining of many problems with KitKat .....

Upvote 0
OK, not sure if this will help, but, I normally run Next Launcher 3D. I wanted to try a couple of other launchers, including Nova(didn't ring my chimes) so I uninstalled Next without any issues, installed Nova, didn't like it, uninstalled Nova and re-installed Next and it restored everything just like I had it before I did the uninstall.
In Next you have the option to save your current configuration information which allows you to easily get it back. But my re-install just did it without having to do any re-linking or anything. It just happened.

I'm not saying this will happen in your case, but it might be an option.

Reactions: vja4Him
Upvote 0
OK, not sure if this will help, but, I normally run Next Launcher 3D. I wanted to try a couple of other launchers, including Nova(didn't ring my chimes) so I uninstalled Next without any issues, installed Nova, didn't like it, uninstalled Nova and re-installed Next and it restored everything just like I had it before I did the uninstall.
In Next you have the option to save your current configuration information which allows you to easily get it back. But my re-install just did it without having to do any re-linking or anything. It just happened.

I'm not saying this will happen in your case, but it might be an option.

I have eight Launchers I am testing: 1) Action Launcher, 2) Apex Launcher, 3) GO Launcher EX, 4) Launcher, 5) Nova launcher, 6) Smart Launcher, 7) TouchWiz easy home, 8) TouchWiz home.

I started with Nova Launcher, then upgraded to Nova Launcher Prime, which I used for over a month. Now I am testing TouchWiz home. Spent several hours setting up all of my Folders.

One thing I really like about Nova is the Dock, which allows many Folders in the Dock, which TouchWiz does not. I can only have four Folders in the TouchWiz Dock. So I created seven more Folders on the Home Screen, and two more on another Screen.

So far, TouchWiz is nice ......

Upvote 0
I have been using Nova Launcher Prime for over a month with no problems on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3, until several days ago .....

Nova Launcher Prime crashes many times now everyday!!! I cannot Clear Data because it's "Grey", which means it is NOT active. I tried a different Launcher, but still cannot Clear Data on Nova Launcher Prime.

I did Clear Cache, which did NOT help.

Looks like I will have to Uninstall Nova Launcher Prime, then Reinstall, but I don't have time to put everything back like it is now, so will need to wait a few days, or until the weekend .....

I am still running JellyBean 4.3. I'm not sure if I want to upgrade to KitKat 4.4.2, with so many people complaining of many problems with KitKat .....

Here's what I'd suggest. Backup the settings you currently have on Nova Prime. Uninstall, Nova Prime, and then re-install.

Go into the Nova Settings, and click on the "Restore" function. It should restore majority of what you've set up. There may be some widgets that won't automatically restore and will need to be re-set, but it's much faster than having to completely re-do the setup and part of what I love, when it comes to using Nova Launcher.

In fact, this is how I got my Note 3 set up almost identically to how I had my Note 2 set up (with some slight tweaks I personally decided to make). I had backed up the internal storage folder and copied that over from my Note 2, when I upgraded. Saved me a lot of time, having to configure my device.

Upvote 0
Here's what I'd suggest. Backup the settings you currently have on Nova Prime. Uninstall, Nova Prime, and then re-install.

Go into the Nova Settings, and click on the "Restore" function. It should restore majority of what you've set up. There may be some widgets that won't automatically restore and will need to be re-set, but it's much faster than having to completely re-do the setup and part of what I love, when it comes to using Nova Launcher.

In fact, this is how I got my Note 3 set up almost identically to how I had my Note 2 set up (with some slight tweaks I personally decided to make). I had backed up the internal storage folder and copied that over from my Note 2, when I upgraded. Saved me a lot of time, having to configure my device.

I have already tried Uninstalling Nova Launcher and Reinstalling several times. Could not import the Backup Settings. Still crashing. I will try one more time .....

Upvote 0
Ok, I just Uninstalled both Nova Launcher and Nova Launcher Prime, then Reinstalled Nova Launcher first. Tried to Install my Backup from Nova Launcher Prime. Did not work. Screen went black.

Opened up Nova Launcher and only get a black screen! Tried several times, but still only get a black screen.

Reinstalled Nova Launcher Prime, chose to Reinstall Backup Settings, Note 3 is frozen!!! Can't do anything now ..... Now my phone is worthless ... !!! Can't Shut Down, Reboot .... !!! Screen is stuck at Nova Importing Backup Settings, but nothing happens. Phone is still frozen. Power Button does NOT work ... !!!

Tried various combinations of the Home Button, Power Button and Volume Up/Down Buttons ..... Nothing worked until I held all three Buttons down at the same time. Rebooted.

Time to take my Note 3 in to T-Mobile .... Might need to get a replacement .... I hope not because it will cost me almost $200.00 ... !!!!!!!

Upvote 0
Since the Backup didn't work, I tried importing from TouchWiz, which worked! So now I have Nova working again. Not sure if it's Prime though .... Prime is installed, but now does NOT show up with the Apps. It was with the Apps before. Strange that it is gone, but shows as Installed on the PlayStore.

Will run Nova for a few days and see what happens .....

Upvote 0
Since the Backup didn't work, I tried importing from TouchWiz, which worked! So now I have Nova working again. Not sure if it's Prime though .... Prime is installed, but now does NOT show up with the Apps. It was with the Apps before. Strange that it is gone, but shows as Installed on the PlayStore.

Will run Nova for a few days and see what happens .....

I've never experienced anything like that, so I'd say it wouldn't be prime and it's more likely something else.

Upvote 0
I've never experienced anything like that, so I'd say it wouldnvt be prime and is more likely something else.

I'm wondering if I might have a Virus ....

My Note 3 has slowed down considerably in just the past week or two, like very, very slow now!

Everyday several times I cannot connect to the Internet. I know it's now our Internet or Router, because we have many devices that use our Internet, and all of the other devices work just fine.

I also have the same problems in other places around town. I deleted most of the Utility Apps (App Killers, Optimizers, RAM Savers, Battery Savers, etc.). I've also been going through my apps to get rid of the ones that don't work, or have problems.

I really don't want to reinitialize the phone, but I'm considering that option ...

Upvote 0
I'm wondering if I might have a Virus ....

My Note 3 has slowed down considerably in just the past week or two, like very, very slow now!

Everyday several times I cannot connect to the Internet. I know it's now our Internet or Router, because we have many devices that use our Internet, and all of the other devices work just fine.

I also have the same problems in other places around town. I deleted most of the Utility Apps (App Killers, Optimizers, RAM Savers, Battery Savers, etc.). I've also been going through my apps to get rid of the ones that don't work, or have problems.

I really don't want to reinitialize the phone, but I'm considering that option ...

Quite honestly, the few experiences I've had where my phone is not responding the way it had early on, that's a sign that I'll have to hard reset (as much as it pains me). I wouldn't necessarily assume it's a virus, unless there are files/apps you've downloaded that you could suspect and/or websites you've visited (e.g. adult variety) that would potentially be a threat.

You use app killers? What kind? It's universally known in the android world that it's recommended to stay away from using app killers, as they could potentially cause functions on your phone to stop working properly.

Upvote 0
Strange that it is gone, but shows as Installed on the PlayStore.
Once you install an app it shows Installed on the Play store. Even if you get the phone replaced and connect to the Play store, it'll show that app Installed. It's internal to their database, it has nothing to do with what's actually on your phone. You can still install it by pressing the Installed button and, if you've paid for it, you won't be charged again. (I don't know what they key on, but I reinstalled a paid app on a different ROM and it showed that it was already paid for. The IMEI, maybe?)

Upvote 0
When you buy and pay for an app, the app is permanently linked to your e-mail address under which it was purchased.

What this means is that when you link to the Google Play store, you can do it from any device using the same e-mail address and you can install the app across as many devices as you want.

So I have my GN3 and a Google Nexus 7 (2013) tablet all tied to the same @gmail.com e-mail address and I've installed common apps on both devices.

Works really well.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones