• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Now that we know the Apple A5 is a beast, what Android phone will be able to compete with iPHONE5?

Now that we know the Apple A5 is a beast, what Android phone will be able to compete with iPHONE5?

I was not expecting this iPAD 2 to out power the Xoom. The Xoom has more ram and a Tegra 2 but yet it still took a beating when compared to the ipad 2! I was expecting the A5 chip to be kinda soft and deliver only a margin increase over the original ipad. Apple Delivered! The iphone 5 will be awesome and we have no Android devices that can counter this now that it is proven that Apple's A5 processor can easily defeat a Tegra 2.
We also have no Android devices coming in the near future that can outperform the Apple A5 chip , now that it is proven that Apple's A5 processor can easily defeat a Tegra 2

I'm hoping it is a shit storm.

To be honest I was fearing the i5 was going to launch behind some of the current Android devices because the OEMs have been moving at a FIERCE pace. So this is great news that even the Tegra 4 coming out next fall is projected to fall short of the A5 chip (though much of that is unproven, only time will tell forsure). But then the great thing about Android is that Google doesn't supply the hardware, so the field is open for competition. Whoever beats the A5 first, gets used in the new Android phones. We aren't bound by what Tegra delivers.

So now I'm stoked that at least in that department we know the i5 will rock Androids world at launch. I'm hoping it has a few other tricks up its sleeve as well. The better it is, the harder Google and the OEMs have to work to catch up/move ahead. If the i5 had come out behind, then where would the incentive be to REALLY ramp up developement?

This is one of the greatest rivialries of all-time!!!

Upvote 0
Processing power has never been the problem with iPhones.

It's the technofacisim, cult following, restricted access to your own phone, and horrible bordom of the iOS. No fixes for that.

Be careful . . . what you say is not really true. I do not own an iPhone, but I do own other iThings and my devices are open. I have full file system access, I can use hundreds of themes, change icons, install applications through other sources, etc.

Odd that so many people complain about Apple and their closed nature seem to forget that their Android phone/OS is ALSO closed. You cannot, for example, delete some of the apps that ship with your phone. Your carrier/manufacturer has decided that you must keep some appl you will likely not want.

Good for the Goose comes to mind.

So when you say never, it is not at all accurate.

Android has a growing 'Cult Following" as well. I decided that there is nothing wrong with that at all. I buy what I need and I am ok with how many Android and Apple haters there are. Most are clueless and therefore, ignorable.

Bob

Upvote 0
You cannot, for example, delete some of the apps that ship with your phone. Your carrier/manufacturer has decided that you must keep some appl you will likely not want.

Mine are all gone.
I rooted the phone, blew them away.
Rooting your phone these days is as easy as clicking a button.

They may want to sell the device with them but they can do precious little to keep me from killing them.

Upvote 0
Mine are all gone.
I rooted the phone, blew them away.
Rooting your phone these days is as easy as clicking a button.

They may want to sell the device with them but they can do precious little to keep me from killing them.

Yes, with a root, you can delete unwanted crap. With a JB I can delete stuff. However, many/most phones are shipped with apps the user cannot delete and many likely wish they could and the vast majority of these users will likely never know about root/jailbreak.

These users will be forever stuck with resource hogging applications they do not want, but must accept, because they cannot be deleted.

Bob

Upvote 0
I'm glad a nice new chip exists.

Where is this so-called iPhone 5?

Does it exist?

Can you buy one?

Truly, how can the world of Android survive this iPhone 5 sales juggernaut, powered by the technological magic of the A5?

If only there were a CTIA or something on the horizon.

Maybe with the A5's power, this inscrutable daylight savings can be solved.

Competition is good for all of us. Later this year, some will exist with the iPhone 5.

Reactions: Bob Maxey
Upvote 0
I'm glad a nice new chip exists.

Where is this so-called iPhone 5?

Does it exist?

Can you buy one?

Does the iPhone 5 exist? Surely you don't think they... gulp.... gave up, do you?

Good heavens, what a bummer that would be. If not for it, who else is going to push Android to the cutting edge of cellular technology... Microsoft?

Bahahahahaja hahahaha hahaha ahaha hah haha ha.... now there's a good joke for the '100 laughs' thread! :D

Upvote 0
There is no iPhone 5 at the Apple store.

Let's concern ourselves with reality - when that happens.

Am I supposed to be taking this seriously?

Since when can't we make predictions around here? There is an entire section called 'rumored phones' on the home screen of this site with lots of devices that have been talked about in these threads long before they appeared in stores. The Thunderbolt hasn't turned up in any store yet, and yet there are countless threads about it around here. Same goes for the Bionic, the Droid X 2, etc...

WBMc36 asked for a link to whatever Apple had just come out with. I supplied a link to the A5 chip which is currently in the iPad II (and just as I did in that post, included a 'and more than likely in the iPhone 5). I don't think it's a stretch to speculate it will be included in the next iPhone any more than it's a stretch to assume there will be a 'next iPhone'.

The device certainly does exist, in the development lab over in the Apple facilities. No different than the Bionic exists in the development lab at the Motorola facility.

Upvote 0
Am I supposed to be taking this seriously?

Since when can't we make predictions around here? There is an entire section called 'rumored phones' on the home screen of this site with lots of devices that have been talked about in these threads long before they appeared in stores. The Thunderbolt hasn't turned up in any store yet, and yet there are countless threads about it around here. Same goes for the Bionic, the Droid X 2, etc...

WBMc36 asked for a link to whatever Apple had just come out with. I supplied a link to the A5 chip which is currently in the iPad II (and just as I did in that post, included a 'and more than likely in the iPhone 5). I don't think it's a stretch to speculate it will be included in the next iPhone any more than it's a stretch to assume there will be a 'next iPhone'.

The device certainly does exist, in the development lab over in the Apple facilities. No different than the Bionic exists in the development lab at the Motorola facility.

And how much do you know of its performance in that development lab?

My only issue with all this is the curiosity of what Android will possibly do, as if the metrics in the iPad 2 will immediately apply to an iP5.

Maybe they will, maybe they won't.

So tell me - what Android device that you're unaware of will beat the iP5 that you have no data on? If you have insider info at Cupertino, I apologize, perhaps you do have data on the iP5 - do you?

As for taking it seriously, no, I don't take this seriously at all.

When these phones are out, I'll take it seriously. Until then, all I said was speculation does not equal fact. The OP attempts to suggest it's a fact:

The question would be more interesting (to me) if we had clue one about the nature of the incarnation of the A5 in the iP5.

I don't even know that it will be called the iPhone 5.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/15/inside_the_ipad_2/

Upvote 0
Does the iPhone 5 exist? Surely you don't think they... gulp.... gave up, do you?

Good heavens, what a bummer that would be. If not for it, who else is going to push Android to the cutting edge of cellular technology... Microsoft?

Bahahahahaja hahahaha hahaha ahaha hah haha ha.... now there's a good joke for the '100 laughs' thread! :D

It certainly does exist. On the drawing boards and most likely, a PVT run or perhaps 2. PVT=Production Verification Test.

When it will arrive at your local iThingy iStore is unknown except by the powers that run Apple. But it does exist in some form.

Bob

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones