• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OBD2 reader for your car - cool!

stef7

Android Expert
Dec 29, 2010
FWIW, my vehicle tossed the Check Engine Light (CEL) earlier this week. :(

So I went to Amazon and found a Bluetooth On Board Diagnostics II (OBD2) reader. They are pretty inexpensive. This is the one I purchased to use with my LG G2:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=cfb_at_prodpg

I tried the free version of the application: Torque from the PlayStore, but ended up purchasing a copy (under $5 USD) because I like this app.

Works without issue in two of three vehicles we have in the household. Most likely will work in the third.

If you're bored streaming music or transferring files via Bluetooth, or streaming Video to a smart TV, get some more LG G2 fun with a OBD2 reader for your car. :)

Reactions: bberryhill0
Yes, I'm not sure how long this is going to hold up. I'm pleased it works in multiple vehicles and also that it works via BT with my phone. One guy I work with who is very into cars said that maybe this justifies him getting a smart phone.

Anyway, I'm sure there are many other novel uses of BT with our phones.

Maybe at some point I'll try some NFC stuff.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones