• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OBDroid - User input wanted!

malcom2073

Nov 23, 2009
As some of you may know, I've written an app called OBDroid for OBD2 datalogging over bluetooth. At the moment it is limited to code scanning/clearing and gauge display, however I am activly looking into logging capabilities for it. There are already provisions for logging built in and working on my test-version, but the issue I'm running into has to do with logging formats.

So what would people prefer in the way of how data was logged? There doesn't seem to be a real standard for logged OBD2 data so I'm open to suggestions. I have a desktop OBD2 scanning application which I can add log-reading capabilities to as to allow OBDroid users to view their logs, but I still need a format!

An application written by a friend of mine (OBD GPS Logger for Linux and OSX) has a logging format which I could use, that uses SQLite databases and allows you to convert from the database to CSV. This format however also allows for GPS data, and easily can be modified to allow for accelerometer data as well, if there is interest in GPS and Accelerometer datalogging along with obd2.

Any thoughts/opinions?

Hopefully you're still working on this so I'll give you my input even though I don't have an Android phone yet. (Come on Incredible!) My vehicles that I want to scan are all GM Gen3&Gen4 V8s. I currently scan and tune using a program called HPTuners. However, the thing that HPT is lacking is the ability to integrate accelerometer and GPS data, which I want to use to be able to record data and laptimes at the racetrack. As far as formatting, the ability to export to csv would be important to me. As long as things are column/row based, I create Excel spreadsheets to analyze the data. I thought I read somewhere that Google Maps can plot data from csv files? If so, whatever format they use would be best for my usage.

Assuming that I can get an Incredible sooner than later, I would love to help beta test for you.

-Matt

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones