• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Occasionally mobile data fails to re-engage

I have an un-branded Desire with the latest HTC OTA firmware update and it's running on T-Mobile here in the UK. I have Web n'Walk so I get the full-speed HSDPA data service when it's in range.

I also use Google Maps Navigation a lot. The problem I notice is that sometimes after setting a new route the mobile data connection to download the route data fails to fire up. I can see the mobile signal strength bars, but no 3G or HSDPA signal indicators. And of course without the data connection the new route details don't get downloaded. I usually have to power off the phone and then re-power to get around this.

It doesn't happen consistently - sometimes no problems at all. And the problem seems unrelated to signal strength.

Does anyone else experience this and has anyone found a solution?

Ian

It might just be your location - if there's a lot of data traffic going on, you have to wait in the queue. Try Croydon town centre at lunch time. All the data services grind to a complete halt.

This is also a good reason not to ditch your TomTom - some placces you won't get data, or if you're stuck on a motorway with 2000 other people all trying to use the local data cell to find an alternative route, the network just won't cope.

Upvote 0
No, it's not local demand or anything like that. It has happened at 11PM in a semi rural location with 5/5 bars on the signal strength. Stopping the car and rebooting the phone will always solve the problem.

Once the connection is established, I have not had a problem maintaining the data rate required, except occasionally when losing signal in very remote areas or when going into tunnels (often a problem when using data on a train!).

Ian

Upvote 0
This is an issue that occasionally affects the Desire.

The easiest thing I have found is to turn on Airplane mode and then turn it off again. this seems to cycle the mobile internet back into life and it works fine after that. The easiest way is to have a switch on your homescreen that makes it really quick and easy to switch qirplane mode on and then off. Search the market for either curvefish or switchpro

I had more issues when I was using juice defender but since uninstalling that its worked much better.

Hope you get it sorted

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones