• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Odin flashing(Return to stock) for the Samsung Transform Ultra

Hey guys,

I currently have unrooted 2.3.6 on my phone, after unrooting my 2.3.4 and running the OTA update that Interdpth originally posted before it was realized that it would unroot your phone and mess up CWM.

I have been trying all sorts of posts in other threads to revert back to 2.3.4. I have tried using the odin .tar's in this thread OP, to hopefully get CWM installed and then flash chev's rom, but recovery does not show my clockworkmod folder and does not like for me to use anything but "update.zip" files it seems (like the OTA update for instance).. otherwise I get a bunch of "E: can't find misc" going down the screen and thats about it. I know I am not rooted because I have read only access to folders/files and no su file in system\bin. When I try to put su.bin in there I get error. The oneclickroot does not appear to work with 2.3.6.

Not sure what to do next. I just want to

A) get back to 2.3.4 at this time and get back to my happily rooted, cwm world. And then try Interdpth's safe files he posted last night.

or

B) Get my current 2.3.6 rooted along with CWM that will allow me to flash chev's rom like I had before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is what I would do(my TU is at Samsung's repair facility so I can't test this):

1. Odin this: tu_CWM_recovery - Minus
  2. Then restore a known good CWM backup
  3. or flash this: Stock - Minus

Step 1 will get you CWM. Once you have CWM flashed then boot into recovery mode and flash whatever you want. Either a known good backup or the stock Boost backup I made. The stock backup is a factory stock GB backup I made right after I bought my 2nd TU. Unzip it to /clockworkmod/backup, restore it, and you should have stock Boost GB. From there, you could do the update or re-root it.

Reactions: Seansung
Upvote 0
I flashed the cwm recovery with Odin, my phone rebooted.. I powered it down and went into CWM.

I only get four options in this CWM.. unlike the CWM we had before with advanced options, etc..

reboot system now
apply update from /sdcard
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition

So I try to use the stock.zip you mentioned above and this is what happens:

--Install /sdcard...
E:Can't find misc
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

I have tried from two different workstations, downloaded the stock.zip a few times directly to sd card...

Any other ideas? :(

Upvote 0
I flashed the cwm recovery with Odin, my phone rebooted.. I powered it down and went into CWM.

I only get four options in this CWM.. unlike the CWM we had before with advanced options, etc..

reboot system now
apply update from /sdcard
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition

So I try to use the stock.zip you mentioned above and this is what happens:

--Install /sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

I have tried from two different workstations, downloaded the stock.zip a few times directly to sd card...

Any other ideas? :(

are you sure it wasn't the stock recovery.img you flashed that you mistakenly took it for cwm?

Upvote 0

These stock images are for Sprint only.
Stock system file is a zip so you must unzip it and use the tar file inside.
These images have not been tested...I have a Boost Mobile Transform Ultra.

142e82b2718a62b402c080382aee6196
tu_sprint_stock_recovery.tar
b71f072253f7c109ec42e8a03ab55b01
tu_sprint_stock_system.tar
f6fb0fe24987449f5452d8522139395f
tu_sprint_stock_kernel.tar

Ok I have had a lot of problems and am sad to say I burned the midnight oil on this. I started with a flash to $heveron ROM 5.1 with cwm and bobs kernel to fix screen issue..... That did not work, so I needed to go back to stock. That did not work either. So Thinking my laptop and desktop are messed up I got a bit frustrated.

The problem is my phone would only boot into cwm and nothing else with caching errors.

So i tried the sprint file for recovery to replace cwm with stock..... It told me the file it was trying to dl was 1.9GB when it was obviously 5mb max. Like I said thought my computer/win7/settings/av/as were the prob. Had the same issue with the stock sprint kernel, it was reportedly 900mb by the phone, and the stock system got stuck after the 4th 8mb file transfer......

Yes I am new to this, but its late and I decided to say screw it since I was probably going to have to do more work anyway.

I used the boost recovery file and it worked in seconds and since there was no cwm, it loaded past it....

Like I said I am new to this, but I think the sprint files are no good...... At least the stock recovery one....

Reactions: scotttheis
Upvote 0
JuanSolid (or anyone having this issue) try this .go to the op here download the cwm.tar, odin and ops file (or what you don't have) . once you have all the files you need downloaded open odin click one package, the ops file, cwm.tar and reflash cwm.tar to your phone if your still are getting stuck at clockworkmod screen. if you have another cord try switching to it. it opened my phone back up after trying $shev5.1 odin file that my netbook messed the phone up with.

Upvote 0
It was the shev5.1 odin files that did this.. I tested them just before uploading them but i just downloaded them and tested just now and they are broken. did the same thing to my phone. had to use cwm.tars from the op to get it back in order to flash my backup back on the phone. Dont know why they are broken because the ones saved on my computer work just fine. maybe dropbox or 7zip changed the files somehow.
:dontknow:

Upvote 0
It was the shev5.1 odin files that did this.. I tested them just before uploading them but i just downloaded them and tested just now and they are broken. did the same thing to my phone. had to use cwm.tars from the op to get it back in order to flash my backup back on the phone. Dont know why they are broken because the ones saved on my computer work just fine. maybe dropbox or 7zip changed the files somehow.
:dontknow:

I just downloaded the sprint files to have to have on file. :argh: So they aren't going to work? I used Firefox to download, Probably doesn't matter at this point.

Signed, patiently waiting for solutions and CWM for 2.3.6

Upvote 0
JuanSolid (or anyone having this issue) try this .go to the op here download the cwm.tar, odin and ops file (or what you don't have) . once you have all the files you need downloaded open odin click one package, the ops file, cwm.tar and reflash cwm.tar to your phone if your still are getting stuck at clockworkmod screen. if you have another cord try switching to it. it opened my phone back up after trying $shev5.1 odin file that my netbook messed the phone up with.

Unfortunately it isn't because of lack of experience. I have already tried all this. The sprint images are broken. If anyone would be so kind to make some for us that'd be nice.

Reactions: JuanSolid
Upvote 0
mavrikmeercat you helped me out so much just by being there and offering to help since I was doing all this trial and error stuff late last night.

gpotvin Thanks for the confirmation that it was not just me.

I am better off for all the experimenting though and feel like through my trial and error I have possibly helped someone else out in the future.

I also feel like I went from not knowing the diff between cwm and odin to feeling like I can write a complete guide from scratch using only the files already here that worked for me to get someone from stock to $hev 5.3.0, cwm, and bobs kernel in 30 mins or less lol.

Thanks everyone!

P.S. I know I said "...am sad to say I burned the midnight oil on this". What I meant was today was my 1 year anniversary and girl was none to happy finding out I got less than 3 hours sleep before the big day lol.

Reactions: mavrikmeercat
Upvote 0
what you you have to do is flask stock recovery for 2.3.4 witch bads3ctor provided for you in this forum and then flash cwm recovery i was going through the same problem

After using Odin and the cwm_recovery file in OP... when I hold down voldown+power I get Andy and a box icon, then the heading reads, "Android system recovery <3e>" and I have 4 options still
-reboot system now
-apply update from /sdcard
-wipe data/rfactory reset
- wipe cache partition

and below are errors

E:update file is backed up: not updated

Why can't I get the cwm_recovery to flash? Odin acts like it sends the img to the phone and then it resets afterwards, but when I go into recovery, it is still stock?!?!

I am still on 2.3.6 with no root and stock recovery. I am going to retry downloading again and again and keep trying until I can get CWM_RECOVERY to flash like it is supposed to. I am in recovery hell. :p

Upvote 0
I am still on 2.3.6 with no root and stock recovery. I am going to retry downloading again and again and keep trying until I can get CWM_RECOVERY to flash like it is supposed to. I am in recovery hell. :p

Whoooooo hoooooooooo!

The system was overwriting the CWM with stock after each "reboot". Basically I was not taking out the battery fast enough. I found that you must take it out AFTER getting into Odin and connected to PC, but BEFORE odin flashes and reboots so that CWM does not get overwritten at boot...

1) Get phone into Download mode
2) Get Odin ready with ops and package
3) Hook phone up to PC
4) take out battery from phone (phone will stay on since it is connected to PC)
5) Flash away! After flashing, phone will shut off
6) Disconnect from PC before putting battery back in
7) Go into recovery mode and restore away!

Thanks for the help guys.

Reactions: bads3ctor
Upvote 0
reading is the key to exp around here guys.. you MUST do the research first. I cannot stress that enough.. if you do not and keep asking questions that could be answered by you reading and learning then the devs here will get fed up with it and stop responding. we don't want that because they make all this possible. just an fyi. ;)

glad you got yours working Sean

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones