• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories OEM Charger vs Others

antun

Sep 2, 2010
I bought a cheaper aftermarket charger that charges my Vibrant battery OK, but while it's charging the phone is so slow that it is completely unusable. If I'm lucky, I can get the screen lock off, but I can barely slide pages left and right, and certainly can't use any apps.

With the Samsung OEM charger, the phone works just fine while it's charging.

Anyone else experienced this? I suppose the moral is buy OEM stuff, but this is my first smartphone, and I wasn't expecting a charger to have this kind of effect.

-Antun

If I were you I would throw that charger away. Especially if that's the only time your phone behaves that way. It sounds like it could be messing with the charging circuit to such an extent that it alters the operation of the phone - not good!

There are numerous OEM deals on Ebay that are quite reasonable and work well.
For example:

Samsung Home/Travel Charger:
OEM Home AC Charger for TMobile Samsung Gravity 3 T479 - eBay (item 390237594087 end time Oct-10-10 06:39:59 PDT)

Samsung Car Charger:
OEM Samsung Micro USB Car Charger Gravity 3 Intercept - eBay (item 350395097691 end time Oct-17-10 11:17:26 PDT)

Note: Both of these chargers are listed for the Samsung Gravity 3 but they are identical to the Vibrant chargers. Both are made by Samsung. I have them and they are great.

Upvote 0
micro usb cable $3 + usb power adapter from i-pod or anything really..

I bought a cheaper aftermarket charger that charges my Vibrant battery OK, but while it's charging the phone is so slow that it is completely unusable. If I'm lucky, I can get the screen lock off, but I can barely slide pages left and right, and certainly can't use any apps.

With the Samsung OEM charger, the phone works just fine while it's charging.

Anyone else experienced this? I suppose the moral is buy OEM stuff, but this is my first smartphone, and I wasn't expecting a charger to have this kind of effect.

-Antun

When I have plugged my vibrant into my laptop to transfer stuff it lags the same way.. does the usb icon pop up in notification bar when you plug your charger in?

I haven't had any trouble using any micro usb cables/chargers from other phones or devices.. It is pretty nice that everyone seems to be going to USB plugs now..

All companies of course will tell you to buy their accessories only, but it is USB.. so you probably just got a bad cable made in a factory with crappy QC.

Upvote 0
I bought OEM cables meant for the Galaxy S from ebay. I had heard other cables make the phone lag so I barely tried those. My friend has an old moto flip phone and uses a blackberry charger to charge it at home. He tried using one of my cables in my car charger (confirmed to be working with my phone) and it never worked. So even though the connections are the same, I would say Samsung changed things around and made our cables incompatible. Its a bummer really as I had hoped it was a universal usb cable

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones