• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OFFICIAL Android Feature Wishlist Thread

select multiple addresses from contact lists for SMS and email
zhu.jpg

100.jpg

ht.jpg

Reactions: HWeStore
Upvote 0
Dunno if already asked, if so consider it bumped,

please please please update the android music / media / whatever it is.

I find it doesn't like AAC tags, often makes a mess of my compilations, have to clear cache & data in media storage & un/remount the SD card to put things right. I have a feeling then, that there is a bug in the media scanner, as sometimes my compilations have been made into duplicates, but on the 2nd or 3rd attempt doing the above, it starts behaving. Also, the album art fetching is terrible. We shouldn't have to download seperate apps to do this properly.

How about google come up with their own music sync system to rival itunes, one that can read tags on all common formats, & sync flawlessly.

How about being able to have seperate music apps (double twist??) that have their own media scanner & library?

Upvote 0
I always forget to turn off silent/vibrate mode after my meeting/movie is over and then miss calls.

It would be nice to be able to set it for an "hour" or two, etc. (for as long as you think your meeting/event may be).

And then automatically revert back to normal/loud "ring" mode without danger of forgetting.

It could even be set for exactly "8" hours, (for sleeping), and then revert back to ring at maybe 8am (or other selectable wake-up time) to again ring when a call comes in.

The advantage of that to regular "wake-up-alarm" is that IF there were/are no calls, you can continue to sleep-in. (and you could still set a later actual wake-up alarm if desired)

I mean, I don't want calls at 4am, but maybe if important enough at 7am or 8am etc. I do want to be awakened.

AND, if there had been any calls/text-messages/voicemail during your silent/vibrate time, there could be a separate distinctive ring/alarm to alert you that calls were missed while silent.

Upvote 0
I always forget to turn off silent/vibrate mode after my meeting/movie is over and then miss calls.

It would be nice to be able to set it for an "hour" or two, etc. (for as long as you think your meeting/event may be).

And then automatically revert back to normal/loud "ring" mode without danger of forgetting.

It could even be set for exactly "8" hours, (for sleeping), and then revert back to ring at maybe 8am (or other selectable wake-up time) to again ring when a call comes in.

The advantage of that to regular "wake-up-alarm" is that IF there were/are no calls, you can continue to sleep-in. (and you could still set a later actual wake-up alarm if desired)

I mean, I don't want calls at 4am, but maybe if important enough at 7am or 8am etc. I do want to be awakened.

AND, if there had been any calls/text-messages/voicemail during your silent/vibrate time, there could be a separate distinctive ring/alarm to alert you that calls were missed while silent.
Take a look at Busy Me, a great little app that reads your calendar and sets the phone to silent when you're busy - you can have it go silent 5 minutes before and restart 5 minutes afterwards, or whatever time you choose. I love it, works just as advertised.

Here is the thread about it over on XDA.

Here is the market link.

I know this'll work for your first requirement, I don't know about setting a calendar event every night for sleeping, though. I don't want my phone silent at night, I might miss an important call - but I don't keep the phone in the bedroom for an alarm clock, as many do.

Upvote 0
For me i personally would like the ability to use my phone with zero google or anything else connectivity without rooting.

that's just me.

I think Market would be cool if it had it's own form of accounts that function only for the Android Marketplace which is only usable at the Marketplace
That way some of us who would prefer just an independent and single use would be good.
while others can still use Google profiles to create an Android Marketplace profile just by signing in with it kind of like Youtube.

On the subject of Marketplace, we could do with a review board of savvy Android programmers who get paid to inspect apps, and Devs can have their apps inspected and approved which will add more peace of mind for those of us who are unsure and not savvy enough to be certain of the authenticity and do not know how to understand the code.
It would benefit devs who get more credibility as well, and a bit more reliable than just word of mouth opinion (which isn't allways correct) and as it is currently it's a bit of a gamble since the only quick goto for an Apps authenticity is by reading the reviews (there's usually allot) and the star rating.
Hope those opinions are helpful.

Upvote 0
I just read this whole thread, as someone who 1st started using android march this year on an inspire, it's crazy to me to see some of the wants from back then. A2dp, flash, auto-orient, Ability to view gifs, camcorder, multitouch pinch-zoom. Flash and multitouch maybe I can understand why not, but the rest I don't think there's really any excuse to have not had in 2008. (then again the 1st iphone came out without mms or 3g)

I came here to post about timed profiles but someone beat me to it. A few old nokia 61xx 82xx dumbphones were the only things I've ever seen that had this. Was amazed that I couldn't find this when I started using symbian, then winmo now android. (I'm sure I could probably set this up with tasker)

clock radio. A good percent of our phones have an fm tuner. Lets be able to wake up to radio. I saw some show on history showing this animation of a cell phone, camcorder, maglight, gameboy, palm pilot and maybe more all smashing together to be a smartphone. Lets add clock radio there, it can be done with only software. My htc at least, it says you have to have headphones plugged in to act as an antenna to use fm, maybe they could change that so a charger could work as an ant as well. And if it's alarm time and there is no antenna it can go back to your defualt alarm sound.

Maybe some kind of app permissions manager/explorer "show me all apps with permission to sd card" "show me all apps with permission to wake lock" "all apps with network access" etc...

few other things already mentioned I really would like, 1. a per-app ignore updates option would
be really great. 2. if you're on a call and got out of the current call screen to do something else, pushing "phone" should take you back to the current call screen, not a new dialer as if you're not on a call. I realize you get there from the notify bar, but this just makes sense to do too. 3. Guest mode is something I'd never thought of before but saw a suggestion here and elsewhere, makes a lot of sense. Maybe if you use pattern unlock you could do a diff pattern for quick access to guest mode?

Also navigation arrival time estimates should allow to include a custom speed if you set the ol cruise control at 35, as well as ability to add some ARVs to the estimates. :)

Upvote 0
i wish to stop finding bugs in android ,my wish is that simple ,i've never used a nokia phone and found bugs ,yeah sure its limited ,its not as amazing as android but it don't have bugs at all ,my android handset makes me crazy with wifi and gps bugs and the handset is not faulty but the driver of wifi is shit and gps takes too long to start and it needs network data on to work ,i miss the stupid nokia with free bugs use .

Upvote 0
- Built in screenshot feature
- Voice recorder
- Ability to add/delete words to the swype keyboard dictionary.
- The option to take the voice control key off the keyboard to prevent accidental tapping.
- It's as well I never use voice control, because having to have an internet connection to use it seems so mind-bogglingly inconvenient as to render it pointless. Could all the voice recognition data not be installed to the SD card. How much space does it take?

Homescreen:
- The ability to customise the icons of folders, and few items in them as lists. Sort of like Samsung's Social Hub app, except without sucking. For example, my phone comes with four or five navigation related apps, would be nice to group these all into a folder with a map icon or something
- The ability to anchor homescreen items, irrespective of what screen you're on, sort of like a super dock.
- When you make a bookmark on the homescreen, to have that website's icon as the shortcut icon, without the big red tag encasing it.

Youtube:
- Viewing history, not just search history
- Not having the video docked against scrolling when viewing comments or video description. The way it's setup now means the video's always on screen so you have to view the latter features through I tiny window.

Google search widget:
- Working as you'd expect it to, being able to search from the homescreen rather than the widget just being a shortcut to the apps.
- MORE SEARCHABLE ITEMS. Calendar appointments, gmail, market, maps, youtube, my files. The list goes on. Seems bizarre that any standard android app that has a search function inside it isn't linked to the search app.
- Allowing third party apps to utilise it. E.g. being able to search facebook friends, search the news etc.

Calendar:
- Being able to set repeat events to have an end date, rather than going to the date you'd like them to end and deleting all future ones.
- Having the Calendar app work from the start with no accounts. Seriously, must google peruse all my personal information?

Music:
- Built in cover art downloader. And maybe ID3 tag repairer/editor if we're lucky.
- Ability to view all songs by an artist, rather than be forced to select from albums.
- When on the song playing screen, tapping an artist shows you all songs by that artist, ditto for albums. At the moment you have to hold and then select "Search Music" and then the results are all over the place.
- Interpreting song info from the folders they're stored in OR ID3 tags as defined by the user, not some horrible mash up of both.
- A "Recently played" playlist.

Clock app:
- Ditch it, it's only useful purpose is a shortcut to alarms, which should be an independent app.

Android does so many clever things that it's disappointing to see so many basic short comings. Makes it feel like the operating system's still in it's infancy sometimes. And yes, I'm aware many third party apps preform many of the functions outlined above, but these should be standard IMO.

/rant

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones