• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Official Discussion] Huawei Ascend 2.1 - 2.2 Firmware Upgrade (Info updated as received!)

Okay I was doing some searching and came upon this website...
Software - Huawei Device Co., Ltd..

And saw below in recent updates is M860 kernel-2.6.29-M860-Eclair Common Software 2011-01-21
where u can download the update...
Im thinking this is it!!!
Good find. This looks real. I don't know why someone wouldn't have discovered this by now if the date is correct, though. CAUTION!! IF YOU CLICK THE SECOND LINK, SOMETHING BEGINS DOWNLOADING AUTOMATICALLY!! I'm not going to be the guinea pig. Hopefully this is for real, though.

Upvote 0
Good find. This looks real. I don't know why someone wouldn't have discovered this by now if the date is correct, though. CAUTION!! IF YOU CLICK THE SECOND LINK, SOMETHING BEGINS DOWNLOADING AUTOMATICALLY!! I'm not going to be the guinea pig. Hopefully this is for real, though.

Sorry guys but his is the actual kernel for our current version.

Reactions: ventovic and Gmash
Upvote 0
Boooooo - kay. Just saw this -

What?

And demote her from Huawei Forum Phenom and take her away from you??

Srsly tho, keep up the good work, Jazz.

/on-topic

LOL Early!!!! I'm more like the Huawei Forum Terror! hahaha !!!

Thanks! We have a great group of folks here and as you have seen we are fiercely defensive of our Ascends that we love! I absolutely love the interaction with the other users and just like them I'm learning as I go along.

Thanks so much for the excellent moderating and attention you and some of the other mods (namely Xyro, SoFlo and UBrocked) have given to the Ascend Forum to help it grow and be more functional.

You are more appreciated than you know!

BIG HUGS!!!

:D

Yeah! Keep yer hands off our Jazzie! Haha

hahaha Gmash! I'm not going anywhere. Thank you dear! :p

Upvote 0
i tried to update to 2.2 and it wont boot any more it just stays on the huawei screen :(

Sorry to hear that. Have you tried flashing back to stock and starting all over?

This is why (in spite of wanting to do it) I'm waiting for the official to come out. Hope you get it working! :)

I've been having to use a lot of self discipline to keep from doing it...I will admit!

Reactions: z_newb
Upvote 0
jazziet any updates on our update?

No, nothing I consider really official. I did speak with a Cricket tech two or three days ago who offered me the info that the upgrade is forthcoming and soon. That's all I know firsthand.

If intuition counted for anything on here I would say we are about two to three weeks away. And a lot of that comes from seeing how they have handled the Zio update, which they actually haven't officially released. LOL Sprint did get it yesterday and it's working for a lot of Cricket users too.

Can't speak for MetroPCS. I don't have any clue what they are doing but I assume the same thing.

From what I've seen with Cricket they dangle the carrot for two to three weeks. I'm thinking they have to wait for code from the manufacturer and then go through training with their cust svc and techs and wait for new phones to ship in with stock 2.2 on them. This is what they did with tie Zio. The day before they announced an update was forthcoming they pulled the Zio out of the lineup. They won't put it back until they release the update and I don't think they will release it until they have phones in stock with froyo...the Zio.

Wish it were the Ascend! LOL

Upvote 0
No, nothing I consider really official. I did speak with a Cricket tech two or three days ago who offered me the info that the upgrade is forthcoming and soon. That's all I know firsthand.

If intuition counted for anything on here I would say we are about two to three weeks away. And a lot of that comes from seeing how they have handled the Zio update, which they actually haven't officially released. LOL Sprint did get it yesterday and it's working for a lot of Cricket users too.

Can't speak for MetroPCS. I don't have any clue what they are doing but I assume the same thing.

From what I've seen with Cricket they dangle the carrot for two to three weeks. I'm thinking they have to wait for code from the manufacturer and then go through training with their cust svc and techs and wait for new phones to ship in with stock 2.2 on them. This is what they did with tie Zio. The day before they announced an update was forthcoming they pulled the Zio out of the lineup. They won't put it back until they release the update and I don't think they will release it until they have phones in stock with froyo...the Zio.

Wish it were the Ascend! LOL
yea i know im just soooooooooo excited and cant wait any longer 2.1 is so shitty now lol 2011 already things should happen sooo much quicker. and i called metro todayy and asked about it she had absolutly no idea of wat android was and then she though something was wrong with my phone and advised that i upgraded my phone to a new one so i can get 4g :thinking:

Upvote 0
yea i know im just soooooooooo excited and cant wait any longer 2.1 is so shitty now lol 2011 already things should happen sooo much quicker. and i called metro todayy and asked about it she had absolutly no idea of wat android was and then she though something was wrong with my phone and advised that i upgraded my phone to a new one so i can get 4g :thinking:

HAHAHAHA!!! Sorry! That just made me spit out my drink!!! LOL

So typical of customer service!!! They really should think of a different name for it, something like Customer Agitation. Everytime I have to talk to them I get so freaking annoyed it's incredible!

LOL

She didn't even know what Android was? OMG!!!!

hahaha :D

Upvote 0

I called a rep and asked him if he's expecting in any type of adapter for the Android 3.5 mm headsets. He said, "They don't make phones with those kind of sizes." I was like "Go look at Huawei Ascend. Compare it to any other phone." came back on the line "OOH. I see" ....(Silence)..."But no, We don't sell any type of adapter here". I really wanted to say "Kinda figured, Since you thought all jack sizes were universal..." but I refrained.

Upvote 0
I called a rep and asked him if he's expecting in any type of adapter for the Android 3.5 mm headsets. He said, "They don't make phones with those kind of sizes." I was like "Go look at Huawei Ascend. Compare it to any other phone." came back on the line "OOH. I see" ....(Silence)..."But no, We don't sell any type of adapter here". I really wanted to say "Kinda figured, Since you thought all jack sizes were universal..." but I refrained.

LOL! Why am I not surprised! The day my Ascend came in I went to the local corp store to get a blue tooth, which they didn't have the kind I wanted natch, and had my first experience with their total lack of knowledge. The first time I had to call in for support, like the second day, the rep who took my call asked me to hold while she got the manual. :D

I found Android Forums that day! :p

just out of curiosity like the cat but in a stupid way could you mod the zio 2.2 update since both the ascend and zio are very close in comparison?

I think you might be seeing them. No one was interested in any custom roms for the zio when it had only 1.6 but with 2.2 things should change. However, the Ascend has become the phone of choice for the techies now so I think you will still see more concentration and effort there.

;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones