• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official G-Nex first impressions thread*** Love it? Hate it?

A week later... I've figured out how to get Swype (thanks BabyBlues), which after using SlideIT for a week I appreciate even more. I managed to transfer most of my contacts (though took some manual effort). Everything else continues to be positive.

Getting decent battery life did take some considerable attention, and I'm still wondering if there is something I'm missing that is eating some battery that it shouldn't. But seems okay, all things considered (no way I'm getting 14 hours like some people, though). I did a lot of little things -- black wallpaper, very low screen setting (which is fine indoors), turn off 4g whenever I'm on wifi, VZ apps, etc. The only thing left I can think of is Touchdown, but that doesn't appear to be taking much.

Just love the screen, ICS, form factor... everything. Much better than my wife's Rezound. She is on the fence; she might swap out for a Nexus, but she does like a few subtle things about the Rezound.

On a minor note, I highly recommend the Light Flow app... very nice to color code gmail, text, touchdown, etc.

Came from original Google Nexus (HTC), which I *loved*. I was in on the first wave of orders, so had it over 2 years. It was the only phone I wasn't itching to upgrade after a year. I thought it was perfect, and thought for sure that I would think my new phone would be too large (pocket feel is important to me, and if I want larger screen, I'll bring my tablet).

So, after a very brief consideration of the RAZR, I went with the new Nexus. Only had it one day, but my "first impression" is extremely positive. I have no desire to root, and this screen is definitely worth the bit more pocket real estate.

I'm annoyed at two things: 1) Swype not working with this yet; and 2) facebook and google pissing match over contacts. Otherwise, I could not be happier.

Reactions: BabyBlues
Upvote 0
A week later... I've figured out how to get Swype (thanks BabyBlues), which after using SlideIT for a week I appreciate even more. I managed to transfer most of my contacts (though took some manual effort). Everything else continues to be positive.

Getting decent battery life did take some considerable attention, and I'm still wondering if there is something I'm missing that is eating some battery that it shouldn't. But seems okay, all things considered (no way I'm getting 14 hours like some people, though). I did a lot of little things -- black wallpaper, very low screen setting (which is fine indoors), turn off 4g whenever I'm on wifi, VZ apps, etc. The only thing left I can think of is Touchdown, but that doesn't appear to be taking much.

Just love the screen, ICS, form factor... everything. Much better than my wife's Rezound. She is on the fence; she might swap out for a Nexus, but she does like a few subtle things about the Rezound.

On a minor note, I highly recommend the Light Flow app... very nice to color code gmail, text, touchdown, etc.

Are you rooted? If you are there are definitely ways to get better battery life.

Upvote 0
I'm not. Been debating it. I rooted my HTC nexus, and g-tab... but I've been so pleased with ICS, was thinking I'd stay stock. It took my half a day to root last time by the time all was said and done... am I looking at same commitment here?

Shouldn't be. Well, the actually rooting no. But then everything has to be set up because it wipes everything.

Upvote 0
Got my Verizon Galaxy Nexus on Friday through the deal on amazon. Decided to FINALLY switch from the horrible service I've received from Sprint and my slowly dying OG HTC Evo. I couldn't wait any longer for a Nexus on Sprint on an LTE network that will take forever to take off in Miami and Tallahassee and will still blow. Boy was that one of the best decisions I've ever made.

I have reception everywhere I go, even it classes where my Evo was basically useless. The Nexus is so much lighter and thinner than my Evo that when I hold it now it feels like a brick. So much faster! The 5 MP camera is probably just as good as the 8 MP camera on the Evo. ICS is everything I expected and then some. Nothing I can really complain about. The issue with the low volume was resolved with Volume+ and Light Flow is great with the LED notification.

Oh and battery life on the Nexus is a billion times better than on my Evo. Truly a huge upgrade.

Upvote 0
Getting decent battery life did take some considerable attention, and I'm still wondering if there is something I'm missing that is eating some battery that it shouldn't. But seems okay, all things considered (no way I'm getting 14 hours like some people, though). I did a lot of little things -- black wallpaper, very low screen setting (which is fine indoors), turn off 4g whenever I'm on wifi, VZ apps, etc.

Okay, in the words of Compton's poet laureate, today was a good day. After all the smaller tweaks, today was the first full day with no 4G (working from home, so on wifi all day). 4G seems to be a killer. And maybe a small improvement is due to the battery getting broken in (though I'm skeptical about that dynamic).

Anyway, while my first couple days were alarming (down below 25% after 5 hours of light use), today finally hit a sweet spot. Sure, no 4G all day is hardly an insignificant tradeoff, but I'm at 13.5 hours total, with 2.5 hours voice calls, 1.75 hours screen time, and 15% battery left.

As concerned as I was the first couple days, I'm more than satisfied with today's performance.

Upvote 0
Switched to this phone from my SGS2 (international) 20 days ago and loving it! It's just perfect. No complaints. Well camera could be better, but it's okay for facebook and G+ pics which is all I use it for really.. and battery life too, but I'm a power user and use up like 4 hours of screen on time from morning to 7pm

Upvote 0
I have noticed a huge improvement in battery life because they fixed the wifi radios I am at 55%after a day of hevy use on wifi ... sound haven't gotten a call and speed wise it is as fast or faster then 4.0.3 which I was one

Hmm, I'm still on stock 4.0.2 but I have no issue with WiFi. It's pretty fast and efficient on battery. Glad that it will be even better with 4.0.4 and you are happy with it.

Upvote 0
First, love the design, love the screen, love the speed, love ICS, and love the modders and custom ROMS. Camera is ok most of the time and the extended battery is acceptable provided I can get to a charger during the day.

BUT the reception and call dropping is horrible compared to any phone I've ever owned. I'm routinely 20 db worse than my old DX and frequently can't get a good signal. Breaking point for me was having to borrow someone's Verizon iPhone in a conference room to call my wife to see if I needed to pick up my kid. Really?!! That's why (smart) people snickered about the iPhone to begin with.

I've gotten multiple SIM's and guess wil start doing the phone swap with Verizon soon but I'm tired of wasting the time and having a subpar *telephone.* It just shouldn't be this way.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones