• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sure do, Ringhale. But I also remember your poor little kitty cats getting beaten by the Falcons (which the Bears creamed) and the 49ers, while the Bears have won 3 straight and are in an upswing on both defense and offense.

I think the kitties' game today will be destined for the litter box. :D

Yeah yeah while we did lose those games they were close to be being different outcomes.. I'm just saying this year the Lions have finally got their act together, and they are on the prowl...:D

Upvote 0
off topic:

I wouldn't talk too much about QBs there Han. I seem to remember a certain QB who took himself out of a championship game last year. :p

Don't. Just don't. I really don't feel like getting banned before the SGN releases. ;)

Yeah yeah while we did lose those games they were close to be being different outcomes.. I'm just saying this year the Lions have finally got their act together, and they are on the prowl...:D

I've got to hand it to you guys, the Lions are off to a great start for the first time in ages. But the Bears are surging. You guys might be on the prowl, but by mid December you'll be limping back to your mommy's house looking for that nice bowl of warm milk. :D

On topic:

The crappy battery life that the Windsock is getting is troubling. But with LTE, pushing an HD screen, not to mention that the Windsock's "heavy usage" is probably the same as being glued to your phone for 24 hours straight except to eat and go the bathroom (if that), downloading at 4G nonstop.

I'm not too concerned. If it is crappy, though, I think I'll invest in a good second battery. At this point, nothing short of a massive delay (past first half of December) will sway me from getting this little pup into my hands.

Reactions: Reborn58
Upvote 0
off topic:

Don't. Just don't. I really don't feel like getting banned before the SGN releases. ;)

I've got to hand it to you guys, the Lions are off to a great start for the first time in ages. But the Bears are surging. You guys might be on the prowl, but by mid December you'll be limping back to your mommy's house looking for that nice bowl of warm milk. :D

On topic:

The crappy battery life that the Windsock is getting is troubling. But with LTE, pushing an HD screen, not to mention that the Windsock's "heavy usage" is probably the same as being glued to your phone for 24 hours straight except to eat and go the bathroom (if that), downloading at 4G nonstop.

I'm not too concerned. If it is crappy, though, I think I'll invest in a good second battery. At this point, nothing short of a massive delay (past first half of December) will sway me from getting this little pup into my hands.

Someone mark this on the calendar in case we have a spiral downwards again. :p

Upvote 0
The Windsock posted an 80% done review of the SGN.

Should be interesting.

Looks exhaustive.

Galaxy Nexus Review

Thanks for the link Han

Not to bad a read for a SGN filler while we wait for a release date. Thing I loved reading

Network LTE/3G (Radio): This has been a bright spot for me. Anyone who has used a [COLOR=#7ba000 !important][COLOR=#7ba000 !important]4G [COLOR=#7ba000 !important]device[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] has had to deal with poor radio performance. Constant dropping of data and multiple switching from 3G to 4G. So far the phones radio performance has been stellar, it is holding a 4G signal in areas that my Bionic (yeah I know) and Charge drop down to 3G. I have not had any issues with data drop out or loss of LTE signal. My home is in a fringe area and the Nexus actually stays 4G/LTE in my home.

Things I did not like reading

Speaker: The speaker is not very loud, I don't think its going to suffice in any noisy environment. The clarity of the speaker is very good though.

Battery life: The battery life on this device is average at best. I have yet to use a LTE enabled device that gets stellar battery. So far I would say power users are going to be plugging in by midday and your casual user may need an early afternoon. With my usage (I'm a heavy user), on LTE I will go from 100% at 6AM to 20% by 11AM, on 3G I went from 100% at 6AM to 70% at 11AM and 20% at 4PM. Again you mileage will vary according to your usage. My Device has a 1750 mAH battery and the battery may have been upped to 1850mAH.

But overall all good things to hear or atleast for me, tide me over.

Upvote 0

I feel the same way. I really want the pure android experience, so this is going to be my next device.

It is a total bummer though that I will probably have to turn 4G off and just use 3G. I think this is why the iPhone 4S is still 3G. I remember reading somewhere that the current 4G antennas are huge battery hogs, and that a revised, battery freindly version of the antenna will be out in 2012.

Upvote 0
off topic:

On topic:

What happened to waiting till Thanksgiving now mid December will next week be you can wait till 2012.

I kid :)

Upvote 0
For all the people importing, I ask you... y u no buy 32 gig !?
its as if everyone forgot that the current gsm version is only 16GB and the superior model wont show up until December or later ..... in the UK at least :x
I dunno bout u guys, im dying to get this phone too, but im going to wait until the last minute to import .. just in case news of a 32 gig is revealed :}

Upvote 0
In his latest review (which isn't as exhaustive as I thought it was, but it has nice pictures) he states that his device has a 1750 mAh battery, but that he's heard it might be bumped up to 1850 mAh.

So it seems he doesn't have the retail version.

I think he never came right out and said he did not have a final product...I always assumed he didn't. He made a statement when he received his Nexus that the back cover felt cheap and plastic...don't remember his exact words but he did say that his back cover was going to be different that what we would find on our phones when we get them.

It's possible that the bigger battery will get a different back cover for the final VZ Nexus.

Upvote 0
I feel the same way. I really want the pure android experience, so this is going to be my next device.

It is a total bummer though that I will probably have to turn 4G off and just use 3G. I think this is why the iPhone 4S is still 3G. I remember reading somewhere that the current 4G antennas are huge battery hogs, and that a revised, battery freindly version of the antenna will be out in 2012.

Yep. Unfortunately, nothing with 4G at this time will be good on battery. When the 28nm chipsets come out next year (Q2?), it will be a different story. Quad cores might also be a big help, with that secret 5th core that it allowing the Asus Transformer Prime to play HD movies for 12 hours straight.

I agree with the frustration of having to turn off 4G, especially since Verizon is charging a premium for 4G enabled phones, and now you'll have to turn off a primary feature just to get decent battery life.

In theory, it's very frustrating. In real world application (for me), it's not a big deal. I'm plugged into my computer for most of the day regardless, and my USB car charger I got for my wife's iPhone charges my OG Droid to 100% in like 20 minutes. So no biggie. I may not even need a second battery.

Upvote 0
I see there is some jumping back and forth about the memory be it 16GB or 32GB.

The Sources have said that Verizon's version will be 32GB.
I am not saying there will only be a 32GB version for Verizon, but I can not see them selling both.

All of the leaked materials from verizon....the comparison charts and so forth showed 32gig and only one price has been given $299, the sources indicated 32gig at $299 so any other idea of a 16 gig version coming to VZ at release is not supported by any fact or leaked information that I have come across.

Upvote 0
What happened to waiting till Thanksgiving now mid December will next week be you can wait till 2012.

I kid :)

If the RAZR would have blown me away, Black Friday would've been my breaking point. It still might be, if the, um, HTC device is awesome. I'll be checking it out tomorrow.

But if the, um, HTC device doesn't make me pee my pants out of sheer giddiness, I don't know what recourse I have but to wait until turtle-assed Verizon decides to finally release the most popular and best selling phone they'll have all year.

Ok kids, off to lunch with the fam.

Don't kill each other. And to those Lions fans in here, I'll see you later and I'll try not to rub it in too much. :p

Reactions: Reborn58
Upvote 0
Well I may as well go ahead and join this thing. I've been lurking for 2 weeks or so. I've never followed a phone launch before but I am completely obsessed with this thing. I got a Droid X right when it launched and havent even thought about getting a new phone until a month or so ago. I started researching and saw comparisons between the droid razr and nexus galaxy. I was initially interested in the razr for all the normal gimmicky reasons but then I found this thread. Did I mention that I got completely obsessed with the nexus galaxy? My life has become completely consumed with following this thread and checking feverishly for release updates. I think part of it has to do with my droid x freezing, restarting, and generally being irritating constantly but mostly it has to do with the galaxy nexus looking amazing.

Welcome to the forums!

Upvote 0
I hope the battery isn't an issue.

I live in a city that has 4g, but if what p3 says about the battery is true on the final build (which I believe it will be), it seems almost unusable.

I guess it depends what he means by "heavy user", but an 80% drop in 5 hours on 4g sounds awful. Especially when on 3G, he is only experiencing a 30% drop in 5 hours.

My friend has a tbolt and says the battery life he gets on 4G is terrible. :(

I think P3 indicated that he has yet to find a 4G LTE device that has stellar battery life....it is part of the fact that the technology of batteries vs. LTE is not there yet. Is the Nexus at par with other LTE phones...yes in my opinion.

From what I have herd it will be better than what Razr owners may experience....not to mention they can't do a battery swap to make it through the day....I have always bought a second battery for such times as I find myself in need and not around a charger...not a big deal to me, just carry around a second battery in my pocket.

Upvote 0
off topic:

On topic:

lol. I'll leave it alone. Not that I have much room to talk being an Iggles fan. :(:eek:

On topic:
I'm not too worried about the battery life. 5+ hours of heavy use on 4G really isn't that bad. Now if he left it to idle and did nothing with it and it only lasted 5 hours that would be a problem. And I'm with you in that I'll either get an extended battery if it doesn't make the phone super huge or a second spare battery.

Upvote 0
I know that everyone is saying Nov 17th or 21st and I want it as bad as anyone else but doesn't it make more sense for Verizon to release it on Black Friday, 14 days after the RAZR to reduce the likelihood of RAZR returns in favor of the GNEX? Two phones of this stature released during the return window seems odd to me and a Galaxy Nexus Black Friday release would draw a bigger crowd into their stores. I would definitely be there :D

I see your logic, but that doesn't gel with the Rezound release only 3 days after RAZR. Although I don't really see it as a big competitor, I know there are rabid HTC and Sense fans.

Could this reasoning, however, be a factor in a GNex web only purchase scenario?

Edit: For the record, I like sense. I have a major issue with HTC's undersized batteries and the crappy battery life I get with my TB. But 4G deserves part of the blame.

Upvote 0
Yep. Unfortunately, nothing with 4G at this time will be good on battery. When the 28nm chipsets come out next year (Q2?), it will be a different story. Quad cores might also be a big help, with that secret 5th core that it allowing the Asus Transformer Prime to play HD movies for 12 hours straight.

I agree with the frustration of having to turn off 4G, especially since Verizon is charging a premium for 4G enabled phones, and now you'll have to turn off a primary feature just to get decent battery life.

In theory, it's very frustrating. In real world application (for me), it's not a big deal. I'm plugged into my computer for most of the day regardless, and my USB car charger I got for my wife's iPhone charges my OG Droid to 100% in like 20 minutes. So no biggie. I may not even need a second battery.

Note the decent battery life posted for the Rezound running a full day on 4G yesterday.

It's not the manufacturing process geometry doesn't matter, it's that is matters a lot for 4G radio.

Clearly, yesterday's Rezound report compared to the Thunderbolt shows a big improvement for Verizon LTE radio tech, and that bodes well for everyone.

PS - The Transformer Prime running for a long time is also a function of its battery size. ;)

Reactions: red66charger
Upvote 0
Food for thought : what if there were two versions : 16gb at 199 (off contract 500) and 32gb at 299 (off contract 630 or so)? Which would you choose?

32 gig, definitely.

3 DAYS TO GO!​

We hope :)

But even if it doesn't launch in 3 days, we should at least have something firm for the 21st... either way, we're in the home stretch and we're LOVING it!

I was never great at math, but today is the 13th. If it releases on the 17th, isn't that 4 days away?

In other words, using it like you will be using it for the first two weeks? :D

Upvote 0
if the razr would have blown me away, black friday would've been my breaking point. It still might be, if the, um, htc device is awesome. I'll be checking it out tomorrow.

But if the, um, htc device doesn't make me pee my pants out of sheer giddiness, i don't know what recourse i have but to wait until turtle-assed verizon decides to finally release the most popular and best selling phone they'll have all year.

Ok kids, off to lunch with the fam.

Don't kill each other. And to those lions fans in here, i'll see you later and i'll try not to rub it in too much. :p
go bears!

Upvote 0
Note the decent battery life posted for the Rezound running a full day on 4G yesterday.

It's not the manufacturing process geometry doesn't matter, it's that is matters a lot for 4G radio.

Clearly, yesterday's Rezound report compared to the Thunderbolt shows a big improvement for Verizon LTE radio tech, and that bodes well for everyone.

PS - The Transformer Prime running for a long time is also a function of its battery size. ;)

I could very easily be swayed with amazing 4G battery performance. I've not hidden my disdain for TB's battery performance. I find most everything else about it sufficient. The speaker could be better. I'm very concerned about p3's assessment of GNex's speaker.

Dang...maybe I need to go look at the derned Rezound. That would be one of the biggest crow eating sessions of my life! lol

Upvote 0
Forgive me if this was answered somewhere amidst the nearly 28k posts, but has anything been said about the screen and usability in sunlight?

One of my only quips with the original HTC Incredible is that it is HORRID in bright sunlight. Even at max brightness, it's barely usable. I've gotten used to it, but it would be terrific if the SGN's screen was more usable in ambient sunlight.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones