• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either every tech blog is throwing their hat in the ring for the guessing game, or google, Samsung, and Verizon are circulating false specs to keep everyone talking about it.

I believe it is the former. First BGR decided to publish complete bullshit, now GSMarena is following suit, all to get traffic and thus make money from ads.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Can someone explain to me the importance of GPU to me? I know it has something to do with 3D graphics, but I don't know much more than that.

If I'm not mistaken, it is sort of the mobile version of a video card. Pretty much processes large amounts of data (3D graphics) quicker and more efficiently than a processor made to process general data.

Upvote 0
P3Droid just tweeted: "How many of you would buy the NexusPrime if it was not subsidized, and no contract..full retail of 600+"

What if Verizon does decide not to subsidize? Aside from the fact that they'll undoubtedly sell less phones, Verizon doesn't really have a reason to subsidize if, say, they're deal is just to let Samsung/Google sell it and they just let it work on their network. How would everyone feel about paying full price? I would certainly have to think about it, but I'm sure it won't stop me (even though I am a lowly law student, this is something I save my $$$ for!).

P.S.

This thread (rather, my addiction to this thread) has really thrown a wrench into my study plans for my first year of law school. Hopefully it'll all be worth it and this phone can take my exams for me! :D

i don't think an unsubsidized phone is unprecedented. in fact, given VZW's dislike of open/unlocked dev'r devices, i could easily see this being unsupported by VZW.

but, given what the specs appear to be (regardless of who you believe), i think it would be an epic fail on VZW's part to give this device the "red-headed step child" treatment.

and btw, grading in law school is largely arbitrary. also, it doesn't correlate in any way to how well you'll do as a lawyer. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Can someone explain to me the importance of GPU to me? I know it has something to do with 3D graphics, but I don't know much more than that.

Do you have your PC? Do you have a graphic card in it? So every graphic card has a GPU which is it's processor. All graphics have own clock. So GPU in fmartphone simply means a graphic card/unit.

Upvote 0
I believe it is the former. First BGR decided to publish complete bullshit, now GSMarena is following suit, all to get traffic and thus make money from ads.

That's what i'm thinking also. After a certain point, they can just say "well they weren't right either". And avoid the risk involved with the reward of getting traffic. I'm cynical but hopeful. I said earlier that $300 was my limit on a phone, but if the specs keep progressing like this until the 11th, I may end up trading my car in to get it. I'll get a Schwinn for my 30 mile drive to work.

Upvote 0
neither the exynos nor the 4460 have that gpu. once again we're looking at false specs. a shame too, because the 543mp2 would be great to have

Maybe, maybe not.

According to our source, the device codenamed Nexus Prime is going to ship with Samsung's own chipset, probably the Exynos, with a blazingly fast dual-core processor clocked at 1.5GHz. But wait, there's more.
On that chipset will also reside a powerful dual-core GPU from Imagination. We suspect it's going to be the PowerVR SGX543MP2, or in other words, the same GPU found in the iPad 2 (and quite probably on the iPhone 4S as well).

Seems like their source simply said that it would use Samsung's own chipset and a GPU from Imagination. They assumed the rest.

Who knows.

Is it the 11th already?

Upvote 0
hm...

i noticed BGR mentioned the code-name "galaxy nexus" for verizon exclusive

GSM is talking about the "Nexus Prime" and no word on some exclusive stuff...

maybe they're both right... Verizon gets the Galaxy Nexus with the a little bit less impressive specs, and a month (or sth) later the rest of the world gets the Nexus Prime with its impressive specs...

just a thought...

Reactions: Thejungle
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones