• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have to disagree. This phone definitely seems like a premium, elite phone for them to carry. It's definitely nothing big that people would line up outside the average Verizon store for. In fact, I'll probably be the only one in my town buying one on the day it's released... I think Verizon realizes this and is putting it off compared to more recognizable and "high social status" phones such as the Droid RAZR (a combination of two of the most well-known Verizon brands EVER) and Rezound.

I'm not saying it's the next iPhone. People don't line up in front of Verizon stores for any phone, not even the iPhone. I'm just saying it's more than the niche phone that they probably originally thought it would be.

I do somewhat agree with the statement that Verizon is trying to put this off in favor of the phones they thought would be more mainstream but from the reports we're hearing it sounds like they aren't selling those phones like they thought they would and that might just be because the SGN has gone more mainstream than they thought and got more hype on the internet and people are waiting for it. Verizon may not have anticipated this and that has caused a problem for them since they probably made a large committment to Motorola (they're bed buddies).

Upvote 0
My $0.02 on the buggy software. The devices are already built, programmed and boxed whether bobbing their way to our hallowed shores or are sitting in warehouses or stores - even if 12/8 is the date. An OTA update would be required to fix software at this juncture. It is possible the release is being delayed for that reason but I can't imagine it taking 2 more weeks to fix - not even by VZW.

Something else, likely sales of more 'profit margin enhanced' devices, is the issue. Releasing the Gnex on 12/8 would not hurt them at all, it might even prevent shortages if they have snafu'd demand calculations. Of course, this could also be some VZW exec's undergrad kid's Psych101 experiment and we are all lab rats...

Lastly, for those of you bemoaning the slowness, battery life, reboots <insert gripe here> of your OG, Dinc, <insert smartphone here>, my 9 year old Motorola V120C won't even connect to the internet any more! :p

...not that it ever did

Reactions: jmar
Upvote 0
Still there. Just says limited time. I don't think anyone knows for sure how long it will last. If I was you I might do the rent-a-razr deal to make sure I got locked in for the data but I'd have to absolutely make sure that I could return it when the SGN finally releases if it is activated. If VZW is dropping the extended return period to 14 days once the phone is activated that could be a problem.

Yep, sorry, I did see the deal on the site, just not an end date. That was a bit confusing. I am considering the rental method. I sent an email to a couple of people off of the leadership list over there to see if they can help a brotha out (I don't know how though, I don't have an account that they can apply a note to or anything...)

Upvote 0
Not really most people find something wrong with the phone to avoid the $35 restock fee Verizon then returns it back to the manufacturer for a refund. Ones that Verizon assumes to be working get refurbished and sent out as replacement warranty phones.

Well in the former case it costs Google or Samsung, and in the latter it costs Verizon the time & labor to revalidate the condition of the phone which ends up worth less than a new one.

Whatever, I'm not really up for getting all judgmental about other people's purchases right now. ;)

Upvote 0
Right now verizon is reading this thread.

"Well it looks like we might be able to get away with selling them 16GB models, but I don't know if they'll take the $299 price. Let's leak a shot of it at $279 and see what happens"

Note: This made me think of the costco leak, did that have memory size?

The Verizon phone comparison chart said 32GB. But which one is more correct... who knows.

Reactions: woodraskam
Upvote 0
My $0.02 on the buggy software. The devices are already built, programmed and boxed whether bobbing their way to our hallowed shores or are sitting in warehouses or stores - even if 12/8 is the date. An OTA update would be required to fix software at this juncture. It is possible the release is being delayed for that reason but I can't imagine it taking 2 more weeks to fix - not even by VZW.

Something else, likely sales of more 'profit margin enhanced' devices, is the issue. Releasing the Gnex on 12/8 would not hurt them at all, it might even prevent shortages if they have snafu'd demand calculations. Of course, this could also be some VZW exec's undergrad kid's Psych101 experiment and we are all lab rats...

Lastly, for those of you bemoaning the slowness, battery life, reboots <insert gripe here> of your OG, Dinc, <insert smartphone here>, my 9 year old Motorola V120C won't even connect to the internet any more! :p

...not that it ever did

If they were worried about shortages, they'd do a presale.

Upvote 0
This was the other reference to 32gb:
galaxy-nexus-verizon-32gb-650x501.jpg

Upvote 0
There ya go. I'd trust that. I just wanted to see something with their branding and the 32 GB.

I was just looking for that because I remember seeing it, but glad somebody else mentioned it.

I can't believe they would sell it with 16gb for $299, when every other smartphone on the planet has 32gb at $299. I"m still holding out for both, then that way I can just get the 16gb one for cheaper, I don't need 32

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones