• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
When things are first being designed, they usually have some sort of codename. It's just a placeholder so internally it can be referenced. When the design goes to market, it gets a name, which is thought of by the finest marketing people $1.98 will buy. :p

The codename for this was Nexus Prime. So it doesn't really surprise me that Verizon still has some logic built in to redirect the page. But it's all offical now, it will only be called the Galaxy Nexus.

Yeah, GNex it is. There are plenty of nicknames to help with the name. Plus it is way better than the Rezound. Thank goodness HTC's marketing Geniuses picked out that one.

Upvote 0
TS looks in his crystal ball and sees the crowd gathering outside of Verizon headquarters.

WeWantOurNexus2.png

Everyone is there, HanSolo, BabyBlues, Steven58 AntimonyER, The_Chief, Earlymon and OTD overhead doing aerial surveillance.

Verizon, Be afraid, be very afraid. lol

TS out :D

Upvote 0
You absolutely do NOT have to have a smartphone for the data plan. I have several coworkers who added the data package before unlimited ran out, and then added a smartphone later. One is patiently waiting for the GNex like us.

From what I know, smartphone data plans are different from standard phone data plans so even if you have unlimited data plan for a standard phone now, it wont transition to unlimited data plan for smartphones. I asked Verizon about this before they tiered their data plans and this is what they told me...

Reactions: atrayn22
Upvote 0
I don't think many have a good understanding why some models get the droid moniker.

I'm sure it's contractural in nature. It gets called Droid, and Verizon gets to call the shots, or something like that.

The weird thing is for a while the non-Droids were getting worse treatment than the Droids... They were getting Binged.

Reactions: scottg96
Upvote 0
Yeah, but I think I read somewhere that PenTile gets less and less crappy the higher the resolution. But not sure.

SAMOLED screens have a great reputation. I highly doubt that they're going to trash it with a crappy display all of a sudden. I think Moto went the cheap route.
5.jpg

huang4.jpg

huang3.jpg

Search my posts, I linked an article with some high resolution photos of the samoled screen to the samoled plus. The comparison doesn't dissapoint.

Edit: found it http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...creen-battle-galaxy-nexus-vs-galaxy-s-ii.html

Upvote 0
Is anyone else a little bothered by the so-so reviews the camera on the SGN is receiving?

The camera is fine. It's a phone, anyone who buys it specifically to take pictures is fooling themselves.

What I'm worried about is how good of a shovel it will make, I heard the iPhone 4s digs better holes. :mad:

Upvote 0
You're right, it does... hm...
There are two possible options here

1) They never changed the code name on the Verizon site
2) The Verizon exclusive will be called some variant of "Nexus Prime" or "Galaxy Nexus Prime" while the worldwide/GSM version will be simply "Galaxy Nexus"

Actually there's a third option:
3) Verizon hasn't settled on the name either, and they're having board meetings 24/7 debating which name is preferable

"Prime" could also mean "first", in which case this is Verizon's first Nexus device. It could possibly make sense, but at this point still no one knows for sure.

Upvote 0
Ah, darn it all to heck, this just took a turn for the worst:

My wife just dropped her Palm Pre into hot oil.

We need this phone now, 'cause I don't have much hope for the old "water and rice" rinse and dry trick.

If it wasn't palm oil, it is now! :p

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Reactions: zedster
Upvote 0
TS looks in his crystal ball and sees the crowd gathering outside of Verizon headquarters.

WeWantOurNexus2.png

Everyone is there, HanSolo, BabyBlues, Steven58 AntimonyER, The_Chief, Earlymon and OTD overhead doing aerial surveillance.

And there ya have it folks.... Another hit and run by a man in red.
Lol. Thanks TS. That was funny!

Upvote 0
Should I return the Razr I bought on the 16th before 14 days are up? I know the receipt say I have until Jan 15 but there has been some debate on that. I was dipping my big toe into the android OS coming from iPhone OS to see if I like it. I have mixed feelings but I think android OS4 (Galaxy Nexus or Prime) maybe a better choice for iPhone users. Plus I am in a LTE area and the speeds are smoking! I just think apple has stuttered by not releasing a 4" screen and LTE iphone.

Upvote 0
I made it all the way to the "confirm order" button on the Rezound today and then I talked myself off the ledge. Winning a personal battle on a Monday always seems to mean more.

On a whim I tried to order the razr from amazon for a penny but stopped because it said the plan I opted was not the right one for what I was doing. Guess I needed to add a family plan. I decided to back away once again...

BUT

I DO have a 32 gig white iphone 4 sitting on my desk right now. All I need to do is restore it and make a phone call to verizon or may not even have to do that.

This split album stuff is really annoying the crap out of me. Really. Its sad and my music IS LEGAL! Ripped from my own CDs in my collection

Upvote 0

WeWantOurNexus2.png

I'm the good lookin' one in the crowd :D

LOVE the pic of OTD! A very flattering (and rare) day shot of her!

Reactions: twospirits
Upvote 0
The weird thing is for a while the non-Droids were getting worse treatment than the Droids... They were getting Binged.

Shudders.

Bing isn't bad, but I think a Google phone should have google. However, if Bing came to my house and offered me millions to start using it, I would switch in a heartbeat. Basically, that's what MS did to Verizon. They made some deals for Bing to be the default search engine on some phones. Even Apple made that deal, since MS was handing out cash.

Upvote 0

WeWantOurNexus2.png

I just want to know where you got a picture of me?! ;)

Reactions: twospirits
Upvote 0
Should I return the Razr I bought on the 16th before 14 days are up? I know the receipt say I have until Jan 15 but there has been some debate on that. I was dipping my big toe into the android OS coming from iPhone OS to see if I like it. I have mixed feelings but I think android OS4 (Galaxy Nexus or Prime) maybe a better choice for iPhone users. Plus I am in a LTE area and the speeds are smoking! I just think apple has stuttered by not releasing a 4" screen and LTE iphone.

they can only hold you to what is printed on the receipt. since it does say Jan 15 and does not say anything about "14 days from activation", you have your answer. you may have to deal with some hassle from a CSR/sales rep (which is why i had the policy officially noted on my account when i got my razr), but in the end they will have to abide by what is printed there... and on their return policy website here.

let's all just agree to be finished with this argument. :p

Upvote 0
From what I know, smartphone data plans are different from standard phone data plans so even if you have unlimited data plan for a standard phone now, it wont transition to unlimited data plan for smartphones. I asked Verizon about this before they tiered their data plans and this is what they told me...

You can keep or add the smartphone plan, and not just feature phone data plan onto your account.

Rules may have been changed, but I'm pretty sure you can press a good CSR to keep things valid.

Upvote 0

Depends. Ask yourself these questions before making a decision:
1) Do I like this phone(RAZR)?
2) Do I like Galaxy Nexus more than the RAZR?
3) Do I have the patience to wait for Galaxy Nexus?

If the answer to #2&3 are yes, I guess it wouldn't hurt to return your RAZR. If you answered yes for #1, you can gamble on the debate on that return date and hold onto your RAZR until Galaxy Nexus is released so you can try it out before switching your phone. :D

Reactions: donnyb
Upvote 0
Shudders.

Bing isn't bad, but I think a Google phone should have google. However, if Bing came to my house and offered me millions to start using it, I would switch in a heartbeat. Basically, that's what MS did to Verizon. They made some deals for Bing to be the default search engine on some phones. Even Apple made that deal, since MS was handing out cash.

Yeah, and then Microsoft got wise and realized why pay to support Bing when they could just get royalties from Android itself. Amazing how quick Bing disappeared once MS started getting kickbacks.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones