• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we will be together for long though..

We are thinking about splitting the sections into GSM and CDMA.

Some don't think the same hardware should share the same forum.. (GSM is different hardware than CDMA obviously).

If ROMs aren't compatible with both you don't want them in the same section.

No one knows if they're compatible though because we haven't seen the Verizon device yet. chances are they will not be compatible. There will to be some subtle differences at least. Verizon people might come and flash something from the GSM thread and end up bricking their phone - that's worst case.

Upvote 0

Some don't think the same hardware should share the same forum.. (GSM is different hardware than CDMA obviously).

No one knows if they're compatible though because we haven't seen the Verizon device yet. chances are they will not be compatible. There will to be some subtle differences at least. Verizon people might come and flash something from the GSM thread and end up bricking their phone - that's worst case.

Agreed. There are often significant differences that will not work together. The ROMS will likely be different.

Reactions: jamor
Upvote 0
That's what I can't stand. I really liked having a Macbook for the reason that you could disable all flash ads on a website.

You can block all flash content on any Linux, Mac or Windows computer with Firefox or Google Chrome and the Flashblock extension. Flash content won't play until you click on it.

Reactions: ajoudi84
Upvote 0
Nah, I think Jobs was right, too. Flash is a huge battery hog.

In my opinion, for what that's worth, Jobs was partially correct!

Jobs big thing was that Flash was a monster and we all needed to stop feeding that monster and convert to HTML5 right now. Converting the entire Internet to HTML5 would have been a nightmare of epic proportions. It would likely have cost trillions of dollars to accomplish and would have taken years to fully implement.

While I don't think anyone really disagreed that HTML5 has the potential to be a better graphics medium than Flash, the HTML5 standard is still under development. There is no official standard in place yet and, as such, browser manufacturers don't have a consistent set of standards to implement. And as we saw a few years ago with draft Wireless-N development, not having defined standards means that manufacturers will make assumptions and implement things that may or may not be compatible with the final standard. And this usually turns into compatibility issues for the end user! :eek:

Upvote 0
Well Im guessing.there was no major news yesterday because I didn't get a pm from BB... Which is fine because set was crazy enough. Nice to be totally distracted for a day but now Im completely exhausted!

Any good discussion points in the last 24 at least?

I am not seeing much from the last 24 hrs. Everyone is in wait mode. ugh

Upvote 0
Hey guys, I just woke up and I have a question.
One feature I've longed for in Android is the ability to control multiple volumes in one panel easily. From what I've seen it looks like you have the ability to bring up the volume control and then slide the value on the screen, but from what I've seen doing so only brings up the ringer volume. It would be really great if they could have it bring up both that and media volume as well, because frequently I want to change the media volume (in case something goes off in school) and currently I have to open a media app and then change it instead of just being able to change it on the fly.
tl;dr are all volume controls able to be changed with the volume popup triggered by the rocker?

Upvote 0
I am not seeing much from the last 24 hrs. Everyone is in wait mode. ugh

tumblr_lfledhWmYb1qfcbfro1_500.gif

Upvote 0
One feature I've longed for in Android is the ability to control multiple volumes in one panel easily. From what I've seen it looks like you have the ability to bring up the volume control and then slide the value on the screen, but from what I've seen doing so only brings up the ringer volume. It would be really great if they could have it bring up both that and media volume as well, because frequently I want to change the media volume (in case something goes off in school) and currently I have to open a media app and then change it instead of just being able to change it on the fly.
tl;dr are all volume controls able to be changed with the volume popup triggered by the rocker?

in honeycomb theres a button you can press on the screen when you hit one of the rocker buttons that allows you to change notifications, alarm, and media/music.

Upvote 0
Morning Sexy Nexies, thinking about going the "Import" route. Has anyone ever used exansys-usa.com. They say they have it in stock, and the price is pretty spendy, but Verizon launching a month after has left a bad taste in my mouth. If I buy it T-Mobile, I can make up the cost in the cost of the service plan.

Other than Verizon's network being better, what's a good reason not to do this?

My only issue would be the price obviously quite steep. For me personally I don't like spending over 600 dollars On an phone

Upvote 0

There are a bunch of apps that control different volumes independently on one screen. If you use it often just place one on your home screen for quick access since they can't map to volume key, akaik. I have used Volume Control and it works well

Upvote 0
they really did ruin 4G branding didn't they? we have 4g first*! (*4g is our 3g network with a lil boost)

i go out of my way to say LTE when I talk about what should have been called 4G because of that.

e.g. my xoom got upgraded to LTE, hehe

The first 4G phone in the US was the HTC Evo 4G, June 2010, on Sprint.

Soon everyone was up in arms about what 4G is - and that's the ITU's fault because the 4G spec became a moving target that went on and on for quite some time.

In October 2010, the ITU declared that only WiMAX 2 and LTE Advanced qualified as 4G, and no one had built for that.

ITU lays down law: WiMAX 2, LTE-Advanced are 4G, everyone else is a buster -- Engadget

By December 2010, everyone in the industry was in a tizzy over the US definition of 4G claiming US marketing was usurping a standards name for their own purpose. Unperturbed, the US carriers countered that were marketing under the expectation of a previous draft spec. Upon consideration, the ITU issued a statement that the US carriers claims of 4G service were valid, despite not being able to reach 4G speeds.

ITU redefines 4G to include LTE, WiMAX and HSPA+

True 4G is pegged at 1 Gbps peak and 100 Mbps sustained.

Because none of our technologies get near that, I don't get too worried about carrier 4G differences beyond three things right now - 1) is it available where I live and travel? 2) is it fast enough for me? 3) what's the battery drain to get to it?

Then again, I'm easy to please. With typical 3G performance rivaling my DSL speeds from 5 years ago (1.2 Mbps down/700 kbps up), I don't complain much about speed anyway.

Yet. ;)

~~~~~~~~

By the way, I can now report that my 3G speeds have doubled on Sprint, using the Speedtest app.

It completely disagrees with Open Signal Maps and Speakeasy - Speed Test (both of which agree with each other) and is ridiculous in claiming that I now have service that is easily double that of my actual local tower rate.

I'd urge a cross-check with Speakeasy or http://speedtest.net against your Speedtest app before trusting results.

~~~~~~~~

My point? I don't have one. I wrote all that as an informative excuse to say -

Gooooooood morning, Nexathanksians!

Upvote 0

We wll cross paths here and there.

Well Im guessing.there was no major news yesterday because I didn't get a pm from BB... Which is fine because set was crazy enough. Nice to be totally distracted for a day but now Im completely exhausted!

Any good discussion points in the last 24 at least?

Nothing more than rehashing some things and general bs.

Try volume control +. I'm on the app so i don't have the market link for you but it has a panel you can change different volumes.

I was ninja'd

Upvote 0

There's an app for that.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.smartandroidapps.audiowidget

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones