• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. Makes no sense. But, the closest thing would be what o just described. Buy it on your phone, then its in the cloud.

There's another workaround, too. If you buy music from another source, copy to a DropBox folder, then have Google Music on your PC monitor the DropBox folder and auto upload it to Google Music (you can tell GM which folders to monitor). Not exactly pretty, but it works. But I really never buy music on my phone anyway, so wasn't a consideration for me.

Upvote 0
Steven, I was all but ready to carpet bomb this thread with all kinds of crap trying to get banned after "the incident" the other day. But actually, you are a big reason I didn't do something stupid and ruin the Zebug name (twas my nickname for almost 30 years now). Anyway, huge thanks to you for all that you do as a mod and a Gnexaholic.

and get well soon from your procedure.

oh and on related news, I heard release will happen December 14th...my alphabet soup told me today at lunch.

Upvote 0
Word got out that Patrice O'Neal died in the past couple hours. That made me sad, I'll miss him on O&A. Kinda puts the whole phone thing in perspective. But as for the Nexus, no, nothing of note.

Off topic, but so sad. Patrice was hilarious, both on O&A and on stage. I hope fame is finally calling him, wherever he may be now.

R.I.P Patrice O'Neal.

Upvote 0
Awfully convenient that all of a sudden Verizon cares about releasing a completely bug-free Nexus, delaying as necessary, but they've put out some of the most bug-ridden phones available for more than a year (Fascinate, Thunderbolt, Bionic, Droid X2)...

I think it comes down to where the bugs are. Rumors are the bugs are in MyVerizon.apk. Verizon cares deeply about this app, and if it isn't working, are going to hold it until it does. Actually this would make sense if this was the internal disagreement, some think the phone can go without the app working, and just fix with an OTA, since it is not essential to the operation of the phone. Others think it would reflect very badly on them if their own app didn't work at release.

Reactions: Crashumbc
Upvote 0
Awfully convenient that all of a sudden Verizon cares about releasing a completely bug-free Nexus, delaying as necessary, but they've put out some of the most bug-ridden phones available for more than a year (Fascinate, Thunderbolt, Bionic, Droid X2)...

Indeed, I doubt on the whole the phone is going to have less bugs than the ones out right now, or will soon be released in canada, at least with the volume bug fix released. Verizon has a habit of introducing its own issues on a device that balance out anything they fix with the device that they first get their hands on.

Makes the wait all the more frustrating.

Upvote 0
Word got out that Patrice O'Neal died in the past couple hours. That made me sad, I'll miss him on O&A. Kinda puts the whole phone thing in perspective. But as for the Nexus, no, nothing of note.

Yeah I'm bummed about that too. I can still hear his laugh during the "Up Down" game with Bobo.

Reactions: TKEnzy
Upvote 0
I think it comes down to where the bugs are. Rumors are the bugs are in MyVerizon.apk. Verizon cares deeply about this app, and if it isn't working, are going to hold it until it does. Actually this would make sense if this was the internal disagreement, some think the phone can go without the app working, and just fix with an OTA, since it is not essential to the operation of the phone. Others think it would reflect very badly on them if their own app didn't work at release.

It reflects badly on them that they think they need to include this in the first place.

Upvote 0
Steven, Thanks again for keeping tabs on this info for us and keeping the OP up-to-date with your most current information. I am sorry to hear that some among us are complaining to you about the nexus not being out yet, but for what it is worth many of us who lurk (ie me) and many (if not most) of those that regularly post greatly appreciate the work you, the others mods and key contributors have put into maintaining this thread and making it one of the best go to sources on the nexus. Thank you for all that you do and I hope all is going well in terms of your recovery from your procedure. Take care and keep it coming :)

*Steven note: As I said in an earlier post, Verizon HAS to put everything out on the table. It doesn't mean it's a done scenario. KEEP THE FAITH, BRETHREN! :D

Heh.. PM thanks are better than the PM complaints any day. On the way to hospital for my "procedure" yesterday morning, I was very, very nervous. On my smartphone, I got notice: 4 PM's from Android Forums! Oh boy! More news?

No.. Four complaints..some accusatory. Not what I need along the way to the hospital. I put them off. :p

Reactions: Steven58
Upvote 0
Thank you Source, since we know your watching! ;) Yeah, the clarification that this is more of a contingency plan definitely makes me feel better. Of course Verizon will have contingency plans. If you combine that with a statement that on the bright side, it will help Q1 numbers, voila, you get basically what Hanette told Han.

The funny thing is that I bet one of YOU frequent posters is Mr. THE SOURCE. Maybe not you, Sb51, but someone. ;)

Upvote 0
Sad to see ya go. I hope you at least lurk and give us your 2cents now and then.

Verizon just put out this press release explaining the Nexus delay.

"Basking Ridge, NJ
Verizon Wireless, a leader in global telecommunications is pleased to announce another first in it's history. Today we would like to announce the first irrefutable evidence of an afterlife. For the past month, our headquarters have been haunted by the ghost of Steve Jobs. We have tried unsuccessfully to launch our new flagship device, the Galaxy Nexus, on the nation's best 4G LTE network, beginning with a planned release in early November. Shortly after internal communications were leaked to the internet, strange and paranormal activity began at our headquarters, with files, documents, and merchandise going missing or being edited without anyone's consent. Shortly after these occurrences began, a strange man was often seen wandering the halls muttering the phrase "this changes everything", and "I will destroy Android, " along with disparaging comments to staff members . Investigators were utilized and it has been determined that this poltergeist is non other than Steve Jobs. We are honored that Mr. Jobs, a visionary and genius would team with Verizon Wireless to introduce the next big thing. As of now we are still planning to introduce the Galaxy Nexus in 2011 as long as the exorcism is successful."

I have also confirmed this with a source.

I would highly suggest getting an OLD priest and a YOUNG priest.

Upvote 0

Then just remove the damn app and put it in the market to compete with all the other data monitoring apps.

Reactions: Trooper
Upvote 0
I wonder what the estimated ship date will be on the pre-order Scott made today...

Should we start a pool?

I'll provide the winner with a free round-trip airfare ticket
winner must pick up prize in person and be able to tolerate heavy doses of disappointment, fine print restrictions, and false promises based on blind optimism coupled with naivety.

Offer not valid in all states. Please sign up to receive information when available.

Upvote 0
I think it comes down to where the bugs are. Rumors are the bugs are in MyVerizon.apk.

If I remember correctly P3Droid mentioned the MyVerizon app working fine on his device. Yet it was on 4.0.1 build but he has been running the 4.0.2 build since 11/21. IMO I highly doubt the hold up for the release is because of the MyVerizon.apk or the backupassistant and I seriously doubt the new build broke it. It has to be something more significant...once again IMO.

Upvote 0
I hate to be the barer of bad news, but those of you asking store managers and CSRs for release information aren't going to having any better information than is floating around this thread.

Han's sister, no offence, is just passing along rumors as well that are passed around the office as well. Having previously worked in product managerment for years, I can tell you that product launches are kept close to the vest. There is a select group of people who know when something is going to launch, and it isn't customer service, I can tell you that much.

Marketing, product management, and executives typically are the only people with solid information. There are other departments who play a role in a products launch, but they typically only have a faint idea of actual release dates.

On the brighter side, I'll have my Galaxy Nexus LTE this Friday for testing. I'll be sure to put up some pictures when it arrives.

How are you getting a device for testing?

You work for someone good?

Upvote 0
So, who do you think wants this phone released more at this point? Us, or the CSRs so they can stop answering questions about the Nexus?

I don't think the CSRs really care. I am sure they are busy all day no matter what, and saying "I don't know" is about as easy as it gets. Water off a duck's back.

new-aww-8.jpg

And for those of you who enjoy pictures of this ilk (BB?) feel free to check out this link: Whatever happens, don’t say Awww (33 Photos) : theCHIVE

Upvote 0
As much as I would like to be upset and bash Verizon, I can only hold them to their press release statement of the Gnex being released later this year. They have until 12/31 to live up to that. It would be a PR nightmare (as if they're not already in one) to go back on the only public statement they have made on the release of the device. I know everyone is upset by the latest rumor, but aside from the PR, that's all it is...plain rumors. I want the Gnex to be released as much as anyone, but I will give them a chance to live up to their PR before making any other decisions.

Now to pitch in on the rumor front, I have to say that as much as some people are turned off by P3Droid, he and his inner circle seem to have pretty good sources. They have been saying for a couple weeks that we are looking into mid-late December for a release. I think they may be onto something. I posted some tweets yesteday by PydePypper who like P3, has a pre-release Gnex. Here are a few more:

In reference to a release date:

In reference to bugs and updates:

Again, take all rumors with a huge grain of salt, but it does appear that the guys with pre-release devices had some issues which seem to be getting better with updates. I think signs point to Verizon living up to their "later this year" statement.

Some more from him or retweet by him.

@blurlessX Good info as that is about the word I've heard for the past month+. IE preOrder wk of 12/5 and nothing shipping prior to 12/12

@bgill55 GN preorder is in the first week if December for a December 15 ship date.

@bgill55 @blurlessX I'd agree as its the same thing I've been saying for awhile now already just not with specific dates stated is all

Reactions: tom76
Upvote 0
Did much the same. Didn't want to post the message here, but was very kind (albeit a *little* impatient sounding ;))

Like those of you, I also emailed a few people on the executive email list this morning saying that I had two lines out of contract and waiting for an upgrade because our old OGDs are dying.

I just got an email back from ExecutiveRelations@verizonwireless.com with a complaint case number and a personal email from someone with the title Executive Correspondent to call back between 7am-3pm with her direct line.

Did you guys also get this email?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones