• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are quite a few Eris holdouts too, like me. Talk about desperate for an upgrade. Since being eligible for an upgrade 6 months, there has literally been no phone on any carrier I've been interested in until the Nexus came along.

My 19 year old son has an Eris as well. He's begging me for an upgrade.

Well news flash there, former tax deduction: get a job and upgrade because you ain't gettin' it from ME Muahahahahah :p

Nexus will be a GREAT upgrade from ANY phone on the market. Erises and OG Droids especially!

Upvote 0
I work for a small regional carrier in central NE; Great Lakes. Our hub is in DEN and we're based out of CYS. You?

I've flown Great Lakes a few times. Out of Garden City, strait to Denver, and then on to my destination. Small planes, but pretty good service! :)

Did I hide things right?

Nope but that's ok. I don't mind folks knowing my employer otherwise I wouldn't have said it;) I generally just hit the hide button before I get to typing. That way I know everything is inside.
edit: ok, sorry; yes and no hahaha. Your post was hidden correctly, friend. There was just a missing quote and hide tag when you quoted my post and that's what set everything off a bit.

Glad to hear it! We cannot offer much like the big guns but we aim to provide good customer service. Some fail miserably but our outstations are usually top notch. And there's only a small handful of pilots that are not absolutely brilliant, kindhearted, and generous. Next time you fly out of Garden City, you tell them the folks in Kearney say hello. I was in recurrent training with a gal from there. Cannot remember her name.

Reactions: KSToto
Upvote 0
Those docks look awesome. That is one thing I really was missing when I got the Incredible instead of the Nexus One. So glad to have a phone (whenever they decide to release it, that is) that will be built for docks.

College Football (Big Ten):
I am from Michigan and am a Wolverine fan. That said, I like Michigan State most of the times too, but I think Wisconsin is going to win tonight. They're a very good team. Sorry IndecisiveElle.

Upvote 0
Good to know. If my truck has bluetooth, I can use that instead of a cable from the dock to the stereo, right? And how is the sound quality over bluetooth? I've done it before with my dX and it was terrible.

Historically yes. Does your truck have bluetooth stereo or just mono for a speakerphone? Sound quality should be very very good between the phone and the dock because they'll be right next to each other and with fixed positions relative to each other.

I use my phone a lot for music in the car and if the quality is bad, this dock isn't for me. I would need a dock where I can plug in 3.5 directly to the phone.

Well, you will probably get better sound going dock->3.5mm than phone->bluetooth, but it might be a smidge better phone->3.5mm. This is based on my experience with other hardware, since I don't have a GSM or LTE GNex yet.

Reactions: saulback
Upvote 0
+1

I have strongly considered going naked with the GN, but am worried about drops/scratches. I am a bit neurotic about those type of things. I have had my Eris for 18 months or so, and it still looks like it just came out of the box, largely due to the case I purchased for it. I think I am going to go with the TPU case, looks good, maintains the slim profile, etc.

Yeah, Im debating about the case thing. i have always gone with a naked phone. Thats one thing I love about the droid is that it is built like a tank, and Im worried about the nexus in this respect
My droid has dings and scratches all over it though, for some reason I actually like it that way, adds sentimental value or something i guess....

Upvote 0
Seems to be 3 major jumps happening to get the GNex - the Eris, OG Droid and Dinc.

I just can't wait for the bigger phone. The dinc is a good size but I think the little extra width on the Nexus will be perfect.

Plus those of us in the Dinc -> Tbolt -> Gnex subgroup. Seems like I recall several others in this category. ;)

Reactions: red66charger
Upvote 0
Seems to be 3 major jumps happening to get the GNex - the Eris, OG Droid and Dinc.

I just can't wait for the bigger phone. The dinc is a good size but I think the little extra width on the Nexus will be perfect.

I got a Dinc on release day (off contract), then my husband got the X when it released, and I got a terrible case of screen envy. In September when my upgrade was available, I sold my Dinc and got the X...never regretted it because I love the extra screen real estate. :)

Upvote 0
I think it makes perfect sense that there are quite a few of us who are OG Droid holdouts. The OG was a landmark phone, with new-to-market features (turn by turn GPS, anyone? Remember how that was a huge surprise?), and the tech specs were impressive for the time.

What should have tantalized me before the Gnex? When the Dinc came out, my phone was still functioning very well. Honeymoon period, even. I also had to wait until the 2 year contract was up in order to get an upgrade (or 20 months or something).

The Bionic caught my eye, but no NFC + delays to market (and outright inferiority to the GS2, which I wanted), caused me to pass on that device.

Which brings us to th e present. Droid to Gnex. I bet there are a lot of us.

My story is exactly the same.

Upvote 0
Those docks look awesome. That is one thing I really was missing when I got the Incredible instead of the Nexus One. So glad to have a phone (whenever they decide to release it, that is) that will be built for docks.

College Football (Big Ten):
I am from Michigan and am a Wolverine fan. That said, I like Michigan State most of the times too, but I think Wisconsin is going to win tonight. They're a very good team. Sorry IndecisiveElle.
CFB (B1G) as well:
Well I can say ONE thing with absolute confidence today: Nebraska will NOT under-perform and get spanked again today! hahaha I think UW has a chip on their shoulders and they run away with this one tonight.

Upvote 0
I think it makes perfect sense that there are quite a few of us who are OG Droid holdouts. The OG was a landmark phone, with new-to-market features (turn by turn GPS, anyone? Remember how that was a huge surprise?), and the tech specs were impressive for the time.

What should have tantalized me before the Gnex? When the Dinc came out, my phone was still functioning very well. Honeymoon period, even. I also had to wait until the 2 year contract was up in order to get an upgrade (or 20 months or something).

The Bionic caught my eye, but no NFC + delays to market (and outright inferiority to the GS2, which I wanted), caused me to pass on that device.

Same here.... Waiting (im)patiently ;)

Reactions: IgnatiusXIX
Upvote 0
And then there's a few of us still running Windows Mobile Omnias or Omnia IIs...

one word... how? lol i went to a Omnia from a motorola Q9C and couldnt stand the resistive touch screen. i went to a OG afterwards

Plus those of us in the Dinc -> Tbolt -> Gnex subgroup. Seems like I recall several others in this category. ;)

lol similar for me except D1 -> TB -> Dinc -> Gnex

i think the incredible is better the the bolt in everyway except the screen and 4G an neither are worth it. I wish i woulda saved the money and bought a used Dinc in the first place

Upvote 0

Exact same story here.

Upvote 0

I used to <3 the hardware qwerty on my o.g. but when phones got bigger (i think the evo4g sprint was the first i saw/used) the onscreen keyboard was not a problem for me to use as it felt awkward on the little o.g.

Upvote 0
Even more off topic baseball rant below.
I can see your argument for fans and such, but I still will never understand the money argument people have against the Yankees and other franchises. These people/companies that own these teams are loaded. They have hundreds of millions, sometimes billions of dollars to spend but they choose not to. Do you remember when Steinbrenner bought the Yankees from CBS? I don't, I am too young, haha but from reading, they were nothing at that point. He bought them for some ridiculously low amount of money and SPENT money to get players there. Yes, people don't like that (especially Rays fans) and they like when their talent is home grown. Again there is an argument against that. The Yankees have and have had for a while a top 5 farm system in the league. Jeter, Mo, Robbie, Montero, Gardner, Hughes, and soon to be the killer B's pitching all from their farm system, then they perform, and they get paid. Yes they buy some talent, but that is because it starts with the farm system getting paid, other people see the talent they have, and then they get paid good money to play here. The name and the Championships help, but other teams have SOOO much money to spend, but they are selfish old farts who don't want to spend their money. Steinbrenner was an ass, but he wasn't afraid to spend money out of his own pocket to make the Yankees successful again.

I know this is even more off topic than what you initially started ranting about, but I felt like ranting off your rant. Haha.

More rant and a surprise! ;)

I hear you. I'd feel the same way as you if my team had an owner who was willing to reinvest in his team every year. Like I said, I used to be a Cleveland fan. I watched Albert Belle and Manny Ramirez leave for more money. Oh and C.C. Sabathia...I think you know him :). As a Rays fan, I just watched Carl Crawford and Raphael Soriano (you know him too) leave for more money. And you just know that Longo, David Price and James Shields will do the same. You're right, it's the owners who make the financial commitment or not. It's hard as a fan to be told you'll be having porridge for breakfast everyday and that's the way it is, when fans 1,200 miles north of you get bacon and eggs.

The resources of the major market teams are leaps and bounds over the rest of us. But that's life. You can't deny it would be more interesting to see equally matched teams play games. But I suppose if I were you I'd be happy knowing my chances of winning a championship every year were high. Try putting yourself in our shoes, lol!

A lot of people here believe our owner, New York City resident and Mets season ticket holder Stu Sternberg, is just waiting for MLB to contract the Rays and give him a big payout. He wants to own the Mets bad.

Regarding The Boss...I have a lot of admiration for him. He's given a ton to the Tampa Bay area through philanthropy and is held in high esteem here. I got to speak with him for about 15 minutes in 1996 in Tampa when he appeared on a TV show I was working production on. This pic was taken after that conversation. I was wearing an Indians cap at the time and he turned it around as a joke before we posed. I decided to take it off for the photo. RIP Mr. Steinnbrener.

DanandGeorgeSteinbrennermid90s.jpg

Upvote 0
I used to <3 the hardware qwerty on my o.g. but when phones got bigger (i think the evo4g sprint was the first i saw/used) the onscreen keyboard was not a problem for me to use as it felt awkward on the little o.g.

my OG keyboard got used for two things... terminal emulator and word editing because of the Dpad...

o yeah my X key wore off due to getting into recovery a zillion times

Reactions: harpua
Upvote 0
Hate the bulk, but I can get throuth the day now.
one word... how? lol i went to a Omnia from a motorola Q9C and couldnt stand the resistive touch screen. i went to a OG afterwards

lol similar for me except D1 -> TB -> Dinc -> Gnex

i think the incredible is better the the bolt in everyway except the screen and 4G an neither are worth it. I wish i woulda saved the money and bought a used Dinc in the first place

LOL Well, the long story is Palm V -> Q -> Q9c -> Omnia -> Imagio -> Dinc -> Tbolt

Now that they have finally released Gingerbread, I really like my Tbolt. Love the extra real estate and 4G speed. Biggest issue is the miserable battery life. I finally gave up and went extended. :(

Upvote 0
Yeah, Im debating about the case thing. i have always gone with a naked phone. Thats one thing I love about the droid is that it is built like a tank, and Im worried about the nexus in this respect
My droid has dings and scratches all over it though, for some reason I actually like it that way, adds sentimental value or something i guess....

Yea marks on the phone don't bother me either. Its the ones on the screen that get to me. I ordered the TPU case, not even sure if I'll use it but I'm pretty sure the screen protector that comes with it will be quite cheap.

I'll be on the lookout for another one i think since I always have my phone in my pocket and would hate to get it scratched.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones