• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thx Paul and Ignatius need more coffee ;)

Dude, if the camera on my Droid was actually functional (ie: didn't lock up my phone) I'd show you how its done hahaha. I have a glorious 52oz of of Mocha Max sitting in front of me hahaha. Best investment I ever made was in this mug- and it'll be warm still a couple hours from now when I'm back at the airport de-icing planes. Its the only reason my eyes are open right now.

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
Dude, if the camera on my Droid was actually functional (ie: didn't lock up my phone) I'd show you how its done hahaha. I have a glorious 52oz of of Mocha Max sitting in front of me hahaha. Best investment I ever made was in this mug- and it'll be warm still a couple hours from now when I'm back at the airport de-icing planes. Its the only reason my eyes are open right now.

De-icing is my favorite!.... not really ;) I had to de-ice this morning at work. Nothing like getting blinded by type 4 at 6 am

Reactions: IgnatiusXIX
Upvote 0
Coming out of lurkdom! I've been lurking for a few days and I think my husband is more than ready for this phone to come out so maybe I will cook again. Oh who am I kidding...cooking is not one of my favorite things! :eek:)
I have been waiting for a great phone to replace my fascinate. I had a HTC TP2, but it was SO SLOW!!! When my husband upgraded from his OG Droid to an X, he gave me his OG Droid. However, in all of his rooting, etc, he did something to the processors and it was almost as slow as my TP2. So he got me a Fascinate for Mother's Day last spring. I love my Fascinate, but it is starting to be flaky on me. Goes to random screens, takes a long time to load, and sometimes just freezes. I actually got a Bionic at the end of Sept, but it just didn't "feel" right, so I returned it (got it at Sams, so I had 14 days to return with no penalty) I am not a huge techno geek, that is my hubby's description! He is my IT whenever I need help...but I SO want this phone!!! The manager at the local (40 miles away) VZ store just gives me a sad face and says "Not yet" whenever I walk in. Whenever I am in town, I have to stop and see if it's here yet! However, no matter how much I LOVE the idea of this phone, I am wondering if it won't "feel" too big to me. I really like the Rezound, but I am in love with the Nexus, so I wait. If it comes out and "feels" too big, I guess I'll go with the Rez. I'm one of those people who hates belt clips and such and just wants my phone in my pocket, so it has to feel right! ;o)
Ok, I think I've taken enough space and time for now...thanks for the fun the past few days. Hopefully next Saturday morning we will all be chatting about how much we LOVE our GNex!!

Reactions: RichSz and jbdan
Upvote 0
So can anyone with a tpu case explain what the material is. Is it like a rubbery skin? Hard plastic? Or does it have a more smooth feel to it?...

Pretend you made a very thin jello... and pretend that when jello got stale, it became unbreakable... and pretend that the surface of the mold determined the smoothness/tackiness of the surface... everything from shiny smooth to "will stick to an angled surface for a while" is possible. That's the most creative description I can do.

Exciting. I felt weird reading that and realizing that I fit into a big enough group of OG Droid holdouts that someone wrote an article dedicated to us.

Little bit of news for the morning:
Official Galaxy Nexus dock accessories play pre-order, CarDock and HDMI included (video) -- Engadget
Gotta say that car dock is really sexy.
Morning all!

Thanks for reigniting my dock lust... I like the word "pre-order" in this story, but don't actually see a place where I can spend money on them, yet. Am i mistaken?

I actually prefer nav in portrait mode maybe I'm alone here. I don't need to see that far to the left and to the right I want to see what's in front of me :)

+1
and I'm so happy that I don't have to change that for the Nexus

One thing I think hasnt been brought up, but that IS very on topic is the fact, or rather my guesstimation, that verizon will never get a nexus exclusive again. I'll eat a hat if they do but I imagine that due to their stalling, due to the fact they made Matias look like an idiot, probably pissed off Andy Rubin, they will get future nexus phones last every time. Again point it out to me if I become wrong on this and I'll literally eat a hat.

Furthering my belief in this is the fact that by the Nexus 4 all 3 major US carriers will have LTE and google wont have to choose verizon to get reliable 4G

This has gone through my head, as well... and the rumors/speculation of unlimited data being snatched away from us. It makes me think that sometime in the future, I will have to consider moving away from Verizon, even though I just moved my whole family to Verizon.

Or maybe not... if this phone can survive the way my OG Droid has, a little beat up, but still working admirably, maybe I won't need to replace it in two years. Maybe I'll get one of those TPU cases, to put on it when I'm travelling between charging docks.

Or if it proves not to be as hardy as the Droid, but I decide I need to stay with VZW, and keep my unlimited data, as someone else mentioned, I'll just buy phones from wherever I want and stay month-to-month forever, I guess.

Reactions: RazorSharp and gapi
Upvote 0
Yes, there's input for 3.5mm headphone/audio and usb on the base because all the other ports are covered on this particular dock.

Image of dock base:
gn-cardock2.jpg

I've watched the video, but I don't understand how the 3.5 gets plugged in. in the video he just sets the phone in the dock. How does it get connected to audio?

Upvote 0
haha never experienced Type 1 yet.. what airport/airline you work for?

I work for a small regional carrier in central NE; Great Lakes. Our hub is in DEN and we're based out of CYS. You?

Type 1 Propylene Glycol/water mix used as anti-icing primarily but we heat it to 180 degrees to remove existing contaminates. It's a little syrupy but applies basically as if you're spraying water.Today is our first severe Ground Icing Conditions of the year and go figure- our primary de-icer's pump went on the fritz, so its just about as good as peeing on the a/c hahaha. As much as it sucks to have to deal with cancelled flights for the rest of the day I would actually prefer it happen.

Upvote 0
I've watched the video, but I don't understand how the 3.5 gets plugged in. in the video he just sets the phone in the dock. How does it get connected to audio?

read my post about 2 or 3 back, that has to be the use of one of the 3 pins. one for +, one for - and one for audio. thats just a guess at this point, but makes sense to me

Upvote 0
Coming out of lurkdom! I've been lurking for a few days and I think my husband is more than ready for this phone to come out so maybe I will cook again. Oh who am I kidding...cooking is not one of my favorite things! :eek:)
I have been waiting for a great phone to replace my fascinate. I had a HTC TP2, but it was SO SLOW!!! When my husband upgraded from his OG Droid to an X, he gave me his OG Droid. However, in all of his rooting, etc, he did something to the processors and it was almost as slow as my TP2. So he got me a Fascinate for Mother's Day last spring. I love my Fascinate, but it is starting to be flaky on me. Goes to random screens, takes a long time to load, and sometimes just freezes. I actually got a Bionic at the end of Sept, but it just didn't "feel" right, so I returned it (got it at Sams, so I had 14 days to return with no penalty) I am not a huge techno geek, that is my hubby's description! He is my IT whenever I need help...but I SO want this phone!!! The manager at the local (40 miles away) VZ store just gives me a sad face and says "Not yet" whenever I walk in. Whenever I am in town, I have to stop and see if it's here yet! However, no matter how much I LOVE the idea of this phone, I am wondering if it won't "feel" too big to me. I really like the Rezound, but I am in love with the Nexus, so I wait. If it comes out and "feels" too big, I guess I'll go with the Rez. I'm one of those people who hates belt clips and such and just wants my phone in my pocket, so it has to feel right! ;o)
Ok, I think I've taken enough space and time for now...thanks for the fun the past few days. Hopefully next Saturday morning we will all be chatting about how much we LOVE our GNex!!

Welcome to the forums KSToto! Thanks for the introduction and enjoy your stay :)

If you end up thinking it is too big for you, then you have your 14 day trial period with it. I don't see many of these going back to the store though! :p

Reactions: KSToto
Upvote 0
Pretend you made a very thin jello... and pretend that when jello got stale, it became unbreakable... and pretend that the surface of the mold determined the smoothness/tackiness of the surface... everything from shiny smooth to "will stick to an angled surface for a while" is possible. That's the most creative description I can do.

Exciting. I felt weird reading that and realizing that I fit into a big enough group of OG Droid holdouts that someone wrote an article dedicated to us.

Thanks for reigniting my dock lust... I like the word "pre-order" in this story, but don't actually see a place where I can spend money on them, yet. Am i mistaken?

+1
and I'm so happy that I don't have to change that for the Nexus

This has gone through my head, as well... and the rumors/speculation of unlimited data being snatched away from us. It makes me think that sometime in the future, I will have to consider moving away from Verizon, even though I just moved my whole family to Verizon.

I'm not sure what logic the marketing brains at Verizon use. Perhaps they think that because most other carriers don't have unlimited data, that they can get away with ripping it out of the hands of their customers who have enjoyed unlimited data (and being grandfathered into that plan since its demise) since we can't leave them and get unlimited data with most carriers. However, as a customer, there are very few aspects of Verizon that inspire my loyalty...being grandfathered with unlimited data is one of them. Take that away, and you take away one of the main reasons I stay with Verizon. It wouldn't be a spectacular marketing move to remove the grandfathered plans. Of course, we've already established that Verizon is prone to making stupid decisions, so we'll just have to see how this plays out.

Upvote 0
Actually I'll bet the dock uses A2DP bluetooth for the audio. That's how the N1 car dock worked, though just for the speakerphone.

You can use it with the phone directly obviously, but the dock clearly has a port for audio. I imagine the pogo pins then can transfer the audio from the phone through the dock and into your ears via headphones/audio cable. Just my take, by no means an expert.

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
Why is it that you have to DRAG the kids out of bed at 6:30 on school days, but on Saturdays they are raring to go at 6:15?:thinking:

**Sorry, gotta figure out that hiding thing!**

Mine used to be the same way. I would literally have to squirt cold water on him to get him up during the week.

BTW, the hide tags are the H symbol all the way on the right of the toolbar in the reply box. Or you can surround your text with <HIDE> </HIDE> (but instead of <> use []).

Reactions: KSToto
Upvote 0

How is it when you take it off of the phone? Is there any residue left on the phone? I've seen some rubbery or gel cases do this and I hate it. I ordered a TPU just so I have something to put it in right away.

I thought I could get by leaving my Thunderbolt naked and all it took was one drop...after 4 months of babying it...to leave permanent scratches and nicks on it. No matter how careful I tried to be, it's no longer pristine.

Upvote 0

I thought you were reading Lucado's Mocha w/ Max lol took me a minute gawh I'm slow in the A.M. !

If I drank 52oz of coffee I'd be too productive & I don't want my wife to get her hopes up :p

Reactions: IgnatiusXIX
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones