• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they are shooting for November release of Prime, I think it should be running beta build of ICS at least at this point. Does anyone know status on ICS development?

I read somewhere recently that ICS was supposed to be released around the November time frame. I don't remember where I saw that though.

The times coincide...but usually we see an SDK release a while before any phones release on it, don't we?

Joe

Upvote 0
Reactions: johnny#5
Upvote 0
Why are you sighing, Jungle? Isn't the biggest, baddest and newest what you were wanting? I for one am not interested in a half-baked OS and if ICS isn't ready, I don't want it on my phone. It'll already come out with enough bugs... er, "undocumented features" without having the OS not ready for prime time.

I'm still not buying the single home button, either. crApple's lawyers will go into overdrive to stop that i*hone clone.

But if it DOES come out next month with Gingerbread, I'll still be happy to retire this OG Droid with dignity.

Upvote 0
I've also read about the idea that this home button MIGHT have been put on this test model since ICS isn't fully ready yet. . .At the same time Samsung has their European model of the SGSII which has the home button, and to me it looks fine. .I wouldn't care home button or not, Ok yes I would, I'd love a buttonless phone, but no way in hell that it would be a deal breaker for me.

Upvote 0
I read somewhere recently that ICS was supposed to be released around the November time frame. I don't remember where I saw that though.

The times coincide...but usually we see an SDK release a while before any phones release on it, don't we?

Joe

It came to me in a dream last night where i heard this. It was from the Google CEO, no less, when he was doing an interview at a press event. Then i went back and found this...

Eric Schmidt: Ice Cream Sandwich Coming in October or November - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Joe

Upvote 0
But of course now we're gonna hear about things like this all over the place

Samsung Nexus Prime: Would a home button design be a disaster?

I thought that ICS was supposed to introduce the concept of software buttons instead of hard buttons on the phone. If that were true, wouldn't that validate the concept of a home only button on the phone?

Regardless it would remain to be seem whether that whole concept is a UI disaster or actually winds up being accepted by users.

Then again, this soft button thing may be one of the features they pushed back to Jelly Bean or whatever the next version is going to be.

Personally, one of the things that pisses me off the most about Mac's is the single button mouse. lol. I can't get passed that since I'm so used to multi-button mouse with wheels, etc. So I don't know how I'd like the single button home. It all depends on the design and implementation.

Joe

Upvote 0
It came to me in a dream last night where i heard this.. . . .

It came to you in a dream? Did your psychosis give you any firm date? :p

I don't think that Prime and ICS will be unveiled at the same time. I'm betting ICS code will be released before the Prime drops, as Apple is doing with IOS 5.

As far as the button debate, I could care less if there is a home button or not. I just don't want any capacitive buttons, and I'd rather the home button be very small. More like a nub than anything.

Some are saying that this Prime-without-ICS-featuring-a-button is legit, and is just not the final build because ICS isn't baked yet. This seems to be reasonable. If ICS isn't ready, there's no reason not to test the radio antennas, etc. on the phone and get all that stuff out of the way so that when ICS is done, it will be good to go. And don't manufacturers test several different devices before settling on a final build?

I'm just hoping we see something pass through the FCC within the next 30 days.

Upvote 0
Here's a crazy thought...they keep one physical button so they can maintain a way to enter "safe mode". Volume down + power for hboot but how else would you goto safe mode from an off state without a 3rd button?

I don't think I've ever heard that Prime was going to be 100% buttonless. I think that it will still have volume buttons on the side and a power button on top. Volume down + power for rebooting into recovery, even from an off state, would still work.

Upvote 0
I don't think I've ever heard that Prime was going to be 100% buttonless. I think that it will still have volume buttons on the side and a power button on top. Volume down + power for rebooting into recovery, even from an off state, would still work.

I agree they will have volume buttons and power button and is what I meant to say. I should have said one EXTRA button. I was already conceeding volume buttons + power. Thought they may need a 3rd button in order to get to safe mode though. I guess like chief said, perhaps volume up + power for safe mode? All instances I've seen have used a combo of 3 buttons to make this happen.

Upvote 0
Why can't companies have an industry standard for the capacitive buttons???

The Home & Back buttons are switched from the Droid, so I would spend the first 2 months hitting the wrong stuff! :p

Vigor does look nice, admittedly. But my son has an Eris and it was garbage until last month when we rooted it and slapped CM7 on it. It's a LITTLE better now, but I'm still not that impressed. HTC hasn't exactly stolen my heart.

Upvote 0
The more I think about it, looks like the rumor report from Droid-Life yesterday is just garbage. Even if there is any truth to it, it must be an early proto-type testing device with gingerbread. Eric Schmidt said Google will show ICS late October and I saw somewhere on this forum that they shipped finished ICS to samsung a few weeks ago. So I guess the latest test device should be rocking ICS now.

Upvote 0
The more I think about it, looks like the rumor report from Droid-Life yesterday is just garbage. Even if there is any truth to it, it must be an early proto-type testing device with gingerbread. Eric Schmidt said Google will show ICS late October and I saw somewhere on this forum that they shipped finished ICS to samsung a few weeks ago. So I guess the latest test device should be rocking ICS now.

I'm coming to the same conclusion. The fact that Droidguy reported only details that we already knew and absolutely nothing that a person who saw the phone would know, such as confirmed screen size, 720p resolution, metal chassis vs. plastic, etc.

Nothing except what we already know. Sounds very, very fishy.

I call B.S.

EDIT: Apparently, so do almost all of the commenters on the droidguy article.

Upvote 0
Guys, your comments impressed me. Maybe you're right, I hope so much it was just some old pototype.device which really needed some hardware buttons to run with Gingerbread! Uff.. I must say the buttonless vision of that device is oje biggest thing which makes me very excited about the design of.that phone, i remember one fake photo which was supposed to be early testung version of prime with some thick, silver bound around the screen and no bittons - i must say it was really great concept of that phone! I wonder.if final version is similar...

Reactions: Sandroidfan
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones