• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official GSM Hero 2.1 Thread

hi guys
read alot of the thread, but didnt find any situation like mine.
a few months ago, more like 4-5, i updated to 2.1, everything went fine, and no problems. but now, just 5 minutes ago, i got a notification saying theres a new system update. i downloaded and installed. its called 2.1-update1, and i cant figure out what its good for. it cant be the "pre-update" for 2.1, cause i already have 2.1

any help would be greatly appriciated :)

Upvote 0
I don't know how you updated to 2.1 four or five months ago.... Are you using a Sprint/CDMA Hero? It only came out 2/3 months ago for the GSM Hero you see.

Anyway, if you do have a GSM hero, there are three OTA updates:
1 - Preparation for 2.1
2 - Firmware update from 1.5 to 2.1-update1
3 - Adds the g-sensor calibration tool.

Reactions: Elanz
Upvote 0
I don't know how you updated to 2.1 four or five months ago.... Are you using a Sprint/CDMA Hero? It only came out 2/3 months ago for the GSM Hero you see.

Anyway, if you do have a GSM hero, there are three OTA updates:
1 - Preparation for 2.1
2 - Firmware update from 1.5 to 2.1-update1
3 - Adds the g-sensor calibration tool.

i really dont know.
bought the phone in norway a year ago, and updated some time this summer. okay 4-5 months was a miss haha :p it was more like 2-3. my bad.
i have 2.1 already. why did it download 2.1-update1 now all of a sudden?

Upvote 0
Well, still assuming you have a GSM Hero like this, your hero has only ever had it's firmware listed as '1.5' and '2.1-update1'. It has never been just '2.1'.

It's because, long before we got 2.1, google updated the android 2.1 code and called it 2.1-update1. So from then on phones were only ever updated with the update1 firmware.

You probably never noticed it before the 3rd OTA update.

Reactions: Elanz
Upvote 0
Here, to download a more recent version of the 1.5 firmware.... that version you're running is the original release one! Once you've updated to 2.73.405.66 the OTAs should make an appearance.

I've just bought a HTC Hero unlocked, no brand.

It came with Android 1.5 and I've been trying to update to 2.1. I have tried everything which was suggested here, with no luck.

My settings:
- Firmware 1.5
- Baseband 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18
- Build 2.73.421.5.146733 CL #61267 release keys
- Software 1.0.0.A6288

1) I have connected to a wireless network, with internet access.
2) I have set many different dates in the future, even to May 2011.
3) I have done a factory data reset.

Nothing worked! Could it be a problem with the build? It's suggested here that it should be updated to version 2.73.405.5 ROM. Should I do that, since mine is newer?

Upvote 0
@gbonato - first install HTC Sync on your phone and upgrade to android 1.6: HTC Hero - ROM Upgrade for HTC Hero . Then set the date in the future to get the OTA update to Android 2.1. you have to have 1.6 before you can get 2.1 (I think).Good luck!

Didn't work. When I entered the serial number, the website informed:
Sorry, this software download is not suitable for your device.

Upvote 0
@mpw I'm in Brazil, my phone is unlocked, and I'm using it currently Tim carrier. But my internet connection is from a wireless router.

@Xyro: I'm really confused. I've tested my S/N with all the available ROM updates in the page you sent. None of them accepted my serial number.

What do you think about installing the "Shipped ROM" which was mentioned above, by nellisere? Is it dangerous?

I'm currently avoiding to install many of the applications I would like to. I hope I will have Android 2.1 running soon, so I don't want to waste my time setting up everything in 1.5, which will be erased when I upgrade the ROM.

Upvote 0
I was not aware there was an .exe release for a 2.1 firmware; I thought the only option was OTA.That's not to say there's anything wrong with it, but honestly never heard of a 2.1 you can install via a PC.

As you can notice, I'm new to this HTC world.

Since the OTA update to 2.1 seems to be quite hard to get in my case, should I consider installing a personalized ROM, like this one here?

[ROM][2.1 Sense] BeHero+ v1.2 FRESH! [29/04/10]

Upvote 0
Hmmm. I did a little searching my self (here) and it seems that there are indeed RUU versions of all of the 2.1 ROMs. A guy from Villain (probably the biggest group of ROM devs for the Hero) vouches for it, so what more can you ask? :p

Here is the list mentioned in the thread above. Now you could install one of the 2.1 ROMs from that list (any rom starting with 3.x.x.x), but I don't recommend it. It's mentioned in the thread I found that the 2.1 RUUs will block any attempts to root the phone or switch to a custom ROM.

So if you think there's any chance you'll want to try rooting or a custom ROM, install 2.73.405.5 and get the 2.1 update OTA :)

Upvote 0
Hmmm. I did a little searching my self (here) and it seems that there are indeed RUU versions of all of the 2.1 ROMs. A guy from Villain (probably the biggest group of ROM devs for the Hero) vouches for it, so what more can you ask? :p

Here is the list mentioned in the thread above. Now you could install one of the 2.1 ROMs from that list (any rom starting with 3.x.x.x), but I don't recommend it. It's mentioned in the thread I found that the 2.1 RUUs will block any attempts to root the phone or switch to a custom ROM.

So, let me see if I understand: if I install any of the Android 2.1 ROMS listed in the website, my phone will work properly. The risk is that if in the future I try to install a custom ROM or root the phone, I won't be able to do it?

So if you think there's any chance you'll want to try rooting or a custom ROM, install 2.73.405.5 and get the 2.1 update OTA :)

My biggest problem is that I've been trying to downgrade to build 2.73.405.5 (since my current build is 2.73.421.5) but with no luck. I've visited every single page in the HTC support, and tried to enter my serial number for every single ROM update available there. None of them accepted my S/N. What should I do???

Upvote 0
So, let me see if I understand: if I install any of the Android 2.1 ROMS listed in the website, my phone will work properly. The risk is that if in the future I try to install a custom ROM or root the phone, I won't be able to do it?

Correct.

My biggest problem is that I've been trying to downgrade to build 2.73.405.5 (since my current build is 2.73.421.5) but with no luck. I've visited every single page in the HTC support, and tried to enter my serial number for every single ROM update available there. None of them accepted my S/N. What should I do???

If you download it from the link in my previous post it won't ask you for a serial number for any of them.

When you come to install it, it still may reject your phone on the basis of serial number. But you can get around that by making your sdcard into a goldcard.

Bear in mind, installing the generic ROM like this will remove any languages or locales added by your network that aren't available in the generic roms.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones