• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories [Official] Nexus 9 Accessory thread

doubtful it came fully charged, but the battery is a tiny thing and it doesn't take long to charge.

if the keyboard is working regardless if you see a charge led or no, then you know the keyboards is working.

however, if you plug in different USB cables and you are certain the charge port the USB cable is getting its power from is reliable, AND no red led lamp lights up, could be a faulty led or the charge port could be faulty.

regardless bro, if you feel in any way it's not working as the instructions state , return it for another. don't sweat it.

I'm guessing it's a faulty LED. I let it sit all night synced to the tablet (to try and wear down the battery) and just plugged it in with no LED notification that it is charging. This is the same cable I use to charge my N10 and N7 so I know enough juice is flowing to the keyboard. Is the button I see simply to initiate a sync to the tablet? I don't see the button or LED mentioned in the "instructions".

Upvote 0
i did not mean to suggest there is "not enough juice" flowing through the cable. the cable is thin so charging is slower than if you have a thicker gauge cable. laws of physics and all that stuff. if you use the tablet heavy and are charging it, you will see the charge time is much slower with the htc supplied usb cable due to the low amount of current flowing.

the battery in the keyboard will last a long time if turned on and not in use because it will go to sleep at some point, so that test will not yield any success for you.

bottom line: if you plug up the keyboard and the lamp does not immediately come on, its faulty. period.

the keyboard uses nfc to connect. just tap the tablet on the top blank area above the top row keys and it connects. you only have to do this one time at the initial setup, and no more. you can also set the keyboard as a smart lock item so the tab does not lock the screen when its connected and in use.

Upvote 0
I just got the Unicorn Beetle SUPCASE for the Nexus 9 off Amazon for $15.
I can't say enough good things about it. The screen protector leaves just a tiny bit to be desired as it does not sit totally flush with the screen. It's not a deal breaker in any way - this case Rock's!!
Give it a try guy's :)
I'll try & put a video on YouTube later.

Here's a look at the case guy's. If you're like me & want a good protective case for your N9 try this one out.

Upvote 0
I'm guessing it's a faulty LED. I let it sit all night synced to the tablet (to try and wear down the battery) and just plugged it in with no LED notification that it is charging. This is the same cable I use to charge my N10 and N7 so I know enough juice is flowing to the keyboard. Is the button I see simply to initiate a sync to the tablet? I don't see the button or LED mentioned in the "instructions".

I'm facing the same problem here. It seems that the keyboard doesn't charge at all. How did you manage the problem? Have you returned it?

Thank you

Upvote 0
Hi, hope I am not too late entering here.... I have a Nexus 9 with what I assume is the "official" case, keyboard magnetically fixed etc. I got it as a gift so don't know the origins of the case.

However the escape key has fallen/broken off, and the letter j key has stopped working. I prefer to use the external keyboard where possible. Does anyone know a source of a replacement keyboard ?? I only seem to be finding cases with keyboards, not just the kb itself, when searching.
TIA, Barry

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones