• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official: Petition for .H264 update on HTC EVO

I believe the issue will be solvable when the PacketVideo library within Android is replaced by something like CoreCodec, rumored for sometime AFTER 2.2 release, but,

SURE.

I've seen you tout corecodec repeatedly in this forum, and I finally have to make a response. Coming from WinMo, counting on CoreCodec for anything is a losing proposition. To this day the best WinMo video player is arguably TCPMP, the original product from before CoreCodec was CoreCodec, back in like 2004. Given that they had a platform that was obviously amenable to good video and wide codec support, they failed to bring to market a product that truly beat that now six year old product; all CorePlayers, while shinier, never approached the compatibility and quality of the original TCPMP.

If they are starting their android odyssey out by saying that some fundamental flaw prevents them from even releasing a FIRST product ... you might as well write them off from any consideration until they actually show us something.

BTW thumbs up from me for this petition.

Upvote 0
ide rather have ogg... and not have to worry about royalties in 5 years

Unfortunately, 95% of the users probably don't understand the implications of what you just said. And, I want to agree with you.

However, something tells me Google and/or the hardware manufacturers (whoever ends up footing the bill) will have the resources to pay the royalties. Thomson is pushing pretty hard to have H.264 go mainstream. Apple is furthering Thomson's cause.

It's inclusion goes against the idea of Linux and open standards but (in my humble opinion) is a necessary evil for the Android OS based on how the market is shaping up.

Upvote 0
What exactly is the deal with the video? I thought it was just a decreased bitrate/increased compression. But I don't really know. Sure I'm in on any petition to improve the video quality. Brand new phone with plenty of horse power, 8mp camera and it's thoroughly bested by the iPhone and older Android phones, etc. It might be better to gather all the facts and capabilities and mull over the best possible and reasonable response from HTC and then run an email request campaign to let HTC know what we don't like, what we'd like and how many people think this is important. Cause, yeah, a single forum thread by people who have already shelled out their money for the phone probably isn't going to have Sprint and HTC shaking in their panties. But if we can suggest something reasonable to include in an upcoming patch that would be awesome.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones