• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Official unrevoked 3.22 released!!

Weird problem. I'm rooted, and I tried to root another DI tonight. Ran the new unrevoked and it said something like, "can't push recovery.. terminating". Not sure why. So I was screwing around and held down the down volume and power button and it looked like it went into recovery mode as it does on my phone. So I went down to the "recovery" option and hit the power button and got the triangle with an exclamation point. Had to pull the battery, reboot and all was back to normal. What the heck happened and what should I do?

Maybe it has an SLCD screen? check in the hardware info under about phone

Upvote 0
You can root and never loada ROM if you wish. You are talking about a whole separate ballgame though. Roms are downloaded and then applied via a custom recovery such as Clockwork Mod (standard with Unrevoked for amoled lcd's). So rooting then gives you the ability to load Roms. Not sure if I answered what you were asking but hope so.

It was stated that he needs to add his own recovery because Clockworkmod wouldn't work with the slcd version

Thanks both of you. I installed the unrevoked and was surprised at how easy it went. I didn't even loose my setup. I thought it would be similar to a factory reset. And I don't have the slcd screen, I have the amoled one...or what ever it's called.

Upvote 0
If i go to file>"add recovery" in unrevoked BEFORE rooting will I...

A. Have root w/ a working SLCD recovery
B. Still have to format my sd to FAT32, put it on root of sd and go into HBOOT to get a custom recovery?

I'm sure this is a simple question but I'm not 100% sure so I figured I would ask first.

A. Yes.
B. No.

As long as you grab that recovery.img out of the zip I/others have posted

Reactions: WormDoes
Upvote 0
I'm sure you have the driver installed. I'd just give it another shot and worst case, try it on another computer. Some people seemed to have problems using previous releases too even when doing everything right.
Good call, I'll do that next time I have access to the phone, probably this weekend. I tried it on a Win7 64 bit but I have a 32 bit system I can use. I'll redownload the files and adk. Thanks.

Upvote 0
It's included now. No need to run Forever separately anymore.

Last question, I hope, should I install HTC sync on my PC if I haven't already? Or are the drivers needed to root in HBOOT Universal Drivers the only one I need?
I'm asking because I've downloaded the HBOOT Driver and when I go into device manager under other devices it says ADB with a yellow ?

Upvote 0
Last question, I hope, should I install HTC sync on my PC if I haven't already? Or are the drivers needed to root in HBOOT Universal Drivers the only one I need?
I'm asking because I've downloaded the HBOOT Driver and when I go into device manager under other devices it says ADB with a yellow ?

The universal one should work. Try manually installing the driver while connected to the PC in hboot. Put it on the desktop and do the bit where you "install from a specific location" or similar. Point it to the universal driver file.

Upvote 0
The universal one should work. Try manually installing the driver while connected to the PC in hboot. Put it on the desktop and do the bit where you "install from a specific location" or similar. Point it to the universal driver file.

I'm running unrEVOked and it says "waiting for bootloader, make sure driver is installed"

I got the driver issue situated and see my phone in device manager. When I started the reflash under my phone in device manager an android 1.0 popped up with an ! I installed the same driver. Was this is correct move? Sorry If these questions are trivial but I just want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly

It rebooted and unrEVOked said it was done. I checked and I have the SU app, but when I open the app it's blank. Is this normal?

Upvote 0
I'm running unrEVOked and it says "waiting for bootloader, make sure driver is installed"

I got the driver issue situated and see my phone in device manager. When I started the reflash under my phone in device manager an android 1.0 popped up with an ! I installed the same driver. Was this is correct move? Sorry If these questions are trivial but I just want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly

It rebooted and unrEVOked said it was done. I checked and I have the SU app, but when I open the app it's blank. Is this normal?

Sounds like you're good to go. It'll be blank at first until you grant superuser permissions to one or more apps.

Upvote 0

It says to make sure the drivers are installed for everyone, you actually have to remove HTC sync before rooting.

Upvote 0
is the only way to get into recovery to go through HBOOT? I know on my Eris Vol Up and power was HBOOT Vol Down and power was recovery.

Also, Is there a specific overclock kernel that I need to flash to use setCPU? I'm not interested in flashing any ROM's (yet ;)) so I'm just trying to figure out how to use setCPU. I know on my Eris I had to flash zanfur's patch but there are a million kernels for the Inc (seems confusing to be honest)

Upvote 0
I would search to make sure there isn't a way to get the update without unrooting, but I think your best bet is to install a ROM that has the update in it and if you like stock sense, there is one out there. I use Myn's ROM and it is very similar.

Otherwise, I guess you can do the unroot/reroot method.

Thanks. So, I can't just install the OTA while rooted, and then reroot
with New unrevoked?

Upvote 0
dumb ?. Do i have to unroot to reroot the new unrevoked. I tried to google what to do but didn't see anything on it. If I have to unroot can someone possible send me to the right direction to do that so I can root the new unrevoked so I can get the latest OTA, and so that damn thing will quit popping up on my phone. Thanks.

Upvote 0
dumb ?. Do i have to unroot to reroot the new unrevoked. I tried to google what to do but didn't see anything on it. If I have to unroot can someone possible send me to the right direction to do that so I can root the new unrevoked so I can get the latest OTA, and so that damn thing will quit popping up on my phone. Thanks.

You don't have to unroot. Just install the OTA (which will unroot your phone), then reroot with the new Unrevoked. Make sure you install the ota BEFORE you reroot. The new Unrevoked is to root phones with the OTA already installed.

Upvote 0
You don't have to unroot. Just install the OTA (which will unroot your phone), then reroot with the new Unrevoked. Make sure you install the ota BEFORE you reroot. The new Unrevoked is to root phones with the OTA already installed.

I am rooted, running STOCK ROM from here:

[ROM] Stock Sense/Froyo v3.21.605.1 *Official* (Rooted, Odexed OR Deodexed) [9/30/10] - xda-developers

When the update came, it acted like it installed. I did not loose root, but the update did not apply, and pop-up went away.

So what do I do to run the new Urevoked? :thinking:

Upvote 0
Tried to root my Dinc last night. Ended up bricking miserably. Got my replacement today.
Updated to the newest OTA.
Installed driver, downloaded Unrevoked 3.22, ran, makes it all the way to "failed to flash recovery image..."
How do I get past this?
Running android 2.2
Baseband 2.15.00.07.28
Software 3.26.605.1

Any help would be appreciated, really want to get this thing rooted so I can play around with it. Thanks.

Also could use suggestions for ROM/kernel. I'm way new at this stuff to completely understand it all.

Upvote 0

That's what I did on my wife's phone. I had to put back the bloatware first though, because the OTA update install failed without it. I assume that some of it was updated with the OTA, so it needed to be there.

So, because I deleted the bloatware, I need to reinstall it, then I can install OTA, and then reroot? How can I go about reinstalling the bloatware? Thanks.

Upvote 0
So, because I deleted the bloatware, I need to reinstall it, then I can install OTA, and then reroot? How can I go about reinstalling the bloatware? Thanks.

Hopefully, when you removed the bloatware, you didn't delete it. You either moved or renamed it, in which case you just put it back the way it was. If you followed a guide on line to do it, then I'm sure that's what you did. You can use that guide as a reference in restoring things. I think most guides have you create a directory called something like /system/app.disabled and give commands to move things into it. You just have move things back to /system/app using mv commands with the directories reversed. Example...
mv /system/app.disabled/Facebook.apk /system/app/

If you deleted the files, you will have to find them if you want to go this route. There may be an easy source for them, but I don't know where. Someone else may be able to help you with that.

Upvote 0
Hopefully, when you removed the bloatware, you didn't delete it. You either moved or renamed it, in which case you just put it back the way it was. If you followed a guide on line to do it, then I'm sure that's what you did. You can use that guide as a reference in restoring things. I think most guides have you create a directory called something like /system/app.disabled and give commands to move things into it. You just have move things back to /system/app using mv commands with the directories reversed. Example...
mv /system/app.disabled/Facebook.apk /system/app/

If you deleted the files, you will have to find them if you want to go this route. There may be an easy source for them, but I don't know where. Someone else may be able to help you with that.

Thanks Ske, I did in fact delete, not remove, the bloat by way of Titanium. I thought it was a "suggestion" to move it in case you wanted to replace it. Thinking I would not want it, I deleted it. oops

So I will have to figure out what to do from here. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones