• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Offline maps with user-created locations?

Winfried

Oct 11, 2011
Hello

I'm leaving soon for a grand tour of the UK, and would like to use my smartphone to download offline maps augmented with locations I added through Google's web application.

Ideally, the locations should be clickable to display a short pop-up to see what they refer to (eg. "Saint-Paul Cathedral"); Alternatively, each location should be numbered so I can refer to a list elsewhere on my phone.

That way, I don't need to juggle between the smarpthone to see where I currently am and printouts of things to see in the area, and using offline maps means I can disable data channel since it's pricey when travelling outside one's country.

Google's free Maps application is nice: When choosing "menu > Layers" and choosing a map of locations I created through Google Maps on my PC, the locations do show up fine. However, when selecting "menu > Make Available Offline", the locations disappear. So it seems like Maps doesn't support downloading a user-customized map and save it for offline use.

Is there a way to use Maps to download a location-filled map of a city? If not, is there a good third-party application that supports this? I heard of MapsWithMe, CityMaps 2 Go, and Locus Maps Pro.

FWIW, I tried Google's new MapsEngine, but it's not usable on smartphones, as the the list of locations on the left takes way too much screen real estate and, all the locations are gone if the layer is turned off.

Thank you.

You're on the right way with 'MapsWithMe' :)
For to do what you want you also should install 'Place Saver'.

So you'd share your favorite places in Maps MyPlaces with 'Place Saver' (yes, with the Share option).
'Place Saver' will show offline you these places in 'MapsWithMe' ... open 'Place Saver', select your place, tap on the button 'Maps' and you're able to chose 'MapsWith Me'.

Note, in Maps MyPlaces you can't edit the name of your places, but 'Place Saver' let you do it ... so you'd number the name of your places.

Edit: This other offline maps you mentioned might work with 'Place Saver' too. I use 'MapsWithMe' so I know that it works ... and it works even with my offline car navigation 'Navigon' :)

Harry

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I couldn't try "Place Saver", as it crashes on my Galaxy Nexus, like it does for at least another user (see attachment).

I couldn't e-mail its author since its web page has a bad URL in Google Play.

With so many people now travelling with smartphones/tablets, I'm surprised there's no application that simply supports downloading offline maps with user-defined locations. It's even more surprising that Google doesn't support this.

Apparently, MapsWithMe Pro supports "bookmarks", but I got no reply with its/their author(s) as to 1) whether they will be available offline as expected, and 2) how to download the list after adding locations through my PC in eg. Google Maps/MapsEngine.

I wouldn't want to buy the app just to find out that it doesn't support this.

Does someone know?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Place.Saver.png
    Place.Saver.png
    98.8 KB · Views: 81
Upvote 0
Sorry to hear that Place Saver crashes on your Nexus.
I've used the app on different phones without difficulties for years.
BTW, I never use Place Saver in that way you've done been shown in your screen shots picture. I use the Share option in Google Maps MyPlaces to save the location to Place Saver. Then I open Place Saver and choose the saved location.

... Apparently, MapsWithMe Pro supports "bookmarks", but I got no reply with its/their author(s) as to 1) whether they will be available offline as expected, and 2) how to download the list after adding locations through my PC in eg. Google Maps/MapsEngine...
I use the Pro version and yes, it supports bookmarks and yes, they're available offline. Even the search is offline ... but you can't expect the Google Maps qualtity of search ;)

But transfering locations of Maps MyPlaces to MapsWithMe? The only way I know of is using Place Saver.

Harry

Upvote 0
I bought the Pro version, but support can't figure out how to get Android to prompt me for which application to use to import the KML file that I created in Google Maps on my PC with all the locations.

How do you those apps?
1. Create map of locations in Google Maps on PC
2. Export to Place Saver through Google Maps' MyPlaces
3. Import in Place Saver
4. Export to ???
5. Open in MapsWithMe?

Upvote 0
... to import the KML file that I created in Google Maps on my PC with all the locations...
Not sure about that part, but I think if you've saved your locations (POIs) as maps in Google Maps on the PC (while you are signed in your Google account), then you'd have them also on your phone's Google Maps as 'My Maps' (layer button -> My Maps).
Then you'd star these locations for to make them to favorites in Maps My Places (one by one ?)

Now in Maps My Places open such a starred place and share it with Place Saver (use the Share option of Maps My Places). So share all starred places one by one with Place Saver.

Now you'd operate out of Place Saver for all these saved places. Open Place Saver, open a saved location, tap on the left button "Maps" and choose MapsWithMe ... voila :)

Harry

Upvote 0
... to import the KML file that I created in Google Maps on my PC with all the locations...
Well, there might be a very simple solution:
Copy your KML file in the folder "MapsWithMe" on your phone's storage.
Then open the app MapsWithMe and your locations might appear in the app's bookmarks.
I think it's worth to try :) because the app's own created bookmarks are stored as KML file in that folder.

Update:
It works :) :) I tried it with a KML file of Google Earth.
I used ES File Explorer for to import the KML file on "Maps With Me": A tap on the KML file and choosing "Maps With Me" did the import.

Harry

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones