• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ok i converted to Galaxy S4 but now i mighy have to switch back

raven56706

Lurker
Jul 8, 2013
After 1 week, might give up on the Galaxy S4

ok i converted to the GS4 from an iphone and now, i might be regretting that i did. I put in the fixes last week when i posted the thread on here. But now it appears that i might have to go back to apple.

here are the list of complaints:

Bluetooth is a pain in the ass. I go into my car and it stays on for a bit and then my car just drops the connection. My car apparently asks for a MAP request. My iphone 5 never asked for a map request. Then when i do it, it stays for awhile and then drops the connection again.

I cant use my Beats headphones or Bose headphones remote control functions. As in the little changing of the song and the volume buttons on the cord. Apparently there is a design flaw because of this and thats why. How f'ing lame.

Then the Facebook app doesnt allow all my albums to be viewed. I can only see the most recent.

The battery is shit too. i thought it would be more powerful as it was being advertised but nope... it sucks. i barely used it and i was down 10 %.

if all those things were corrected, it would be the perfect phone. Love the large screen and the colors. Love the fact i can change shit around and have widgets on the phone. Love the memory upgrade. But the flaws might be a deal breaker.

any words of encouragement.

ok i converted to the GS4 from an iphone and now, i might be regretting that i did. I put in the fixes last week when i posted the thread on here. But now it appears that i might have to go back to apple.

Bluetooth is a pain in the ass. I go into my car and it stays on for a bit and then my car just drops the connection. My car apparently asks for a MAP request. My iphone 5 never asked for a map request. Then when i do it, it stays for awhile and then drops the connection again..

Bluetooth performance has been absolutely flawless for me. Crystal clear, pairs and connects with zero problems.

I cant use my Beats headphones or Bose headphones remote control functions. As in the little changing of the song and the volume buttons on the cord. Apparently there is a design flaw because of this and thats why. How f'ing lame.

I have no idea what you are talking about here. Why in the world would you expect remote controls to your headphones to simply work with the phone without some kind of pairing and communication software?

Then the Facebook app doesnt allow all my albums to be viewed. I can only see the most recent. .

The facebook application does allow you to see all albums. Click on Photos, and then albums. There are other options in the market (like Friendcaster) if you don't like the native application.

The battery is shit too. i thought it would be more powerful as it was being advertised but nope... it sucks. i barely used it and i was down 10 %.

I easily get through a full day, and then some. And, I use my phone a fair bit. I have no idea what is going on for you but this is not a typical S4 issue.

if all those things were corrected, it would be the perfect phone. Love the large screen and the colors. Love the fact i can change shit around and have widgets on the phone. Love the memory upgrade. But the flaws might be a deal breaker.

If you are not prepared to do the legwork to figure out how your S4 works, I'd suggest you go back to the iPhone before you are locked into a new contract.

Reactions: ChicTek
Upvote 0
Bluetooth performance has been absolutely flawless for me. Crystal clear, pairs and connects with zero problems.

I have no idea what you are talking about here. Why in the world would you expect remote controls to your headphones to simply work with the phone without some kind of pairing and communication software?

The facebook application does allow you to see all albums. Click on Photos, and then albums. There are other options in the market (like Friendcaster) if you don't like the native application.

I easily get through a full day, and then some. And, I use my phone a fair bit. I have no idea what is going on for you but this is not a typical S4 issue.

If you are not prepared to do the legwork to figure out how your S4 works, I'd suggest you go back to the iPhone before you are locked into a new contract.

I mean what is the leg work. I'm down for any suggestions. What I mean by the controls on the cord. As in volume controls.

Upvote 0
Sorry to hear about the trouble you are having. I assume you are on the stock ROM, stock Kernel etc (unrooted)
Bluetooth is a pain in the ass. I go into my car and it stays on for a bit and then my car just drops the connection. My car apparently asks for a MAP request. My iphone 5 never asked for a map request. Then when i do it, it stays for awhile and then drops the connection again.
Not sure I understood - MAP is basically for the car to be able to play back your SMS messages handsfree (similar to handsfree phone calls). You can enable it, and if you check the option to "do not ask again" or whatever it is labeled, it should remember your choice.
iPhone didn't have MAP profile till iOS6 I think, so that may be why you didn't see it with your previous device.

When you say that it drops the connection, does it actually drop it (as in, shows disconnected)? Or do the signal bars just go to zero? Try to make a call (or get somebody to call you) and see if the car picks up the call.

Similar to WalkaboutDavid, my BT connection has been stable.

Then the Facebook app doesnt allow all my albums to be viewed. I can only see the most recent.
Can't say/do much about that - if Beats/Bose have special features on their accessories (that are not stock to Android), don't be surprised if that doesn't work on all phones.
Facebook app? It is an App problem.

(I use neither, so can't confirm the issues)

"Barely used it" - need to explain that in a LOT more detail :)
  1. What time did you remove from charger?
  2. Was battery charged to 100% when you removed it?
  3. How long did it last till it got down to 10%?
  4. What did you use your phone for?
  5. How long was the screen on?
  6. Menu/settings/battery - what apps are using the most battery life?
  7. Are you on WiFi connection? or 3G? or 4G? (how long)?
  8. How is your signal strength where you spent the most of your time?

Most folks are reporting very good battery life with the S4.
I use my phone primarily on WiFi (at home and office), have about 3-4 hours of on screen time, music playing (screen off) for about an hour or so, about 30-40 minutes talk time, and by the end of the day, my battery is at about 40% or so (7am to about 9pm)

If your battery is going down to 10% after just 1 hour of on screen usage (for example), that is a battery problem (or an app gone bad). Take it to the store and have them look at it (after ruling out app problems).

Upvote 0

Have you considered that the phone may be faulty, have you taken it in to your provider? Also do you know others with the phone, maybe you can see if theirs will connect to your car and check the headphones. As for the facebook app, leave feedback or contact the app developer it might be something they can add to the next update. If you are interested there are apps that will allow you to view all your facebook albums along with dropbox and drive. I use Astro file manger. Android is a completely different animal, there are so many more things that it offers not to mention all the stuff samsung added to the phone, it's sure to have some issues, most of which are usually corrected with time & updates. It's important to let you carrier know the issues you are having. Good luck :) If you stick with it I'm sure you won't regret it!

Reactions: Damar1979
Upvote 0
Wife got an S3 when I got my S4. We both had iPhone 4's prior. We use the GS's the same way we did with our iPhone. Both our Samsungs have MUCH shorter battery life than the iPhone by approximately a 2 to 1 factor. I believe there is definitely something to the poor battery life issue with these androids.

I went from the 3gs>4>4s>Note2>S4 and the Note 2 and S4 are by far the best phones with the best battery life in my experience. The android phones do more so understandably use more battery life. My old flip phone lasted for a week but that's because it was a simple phone.

Upvote 0
Canesfan;[URL="tel:5966556" said:
5966556[/URL]]Wife got an S3 when I got my S4. We both had iPhone 4's prior. We use the GS's the same way we did with our iPhone. Both our Samsungs have MUCH shorter battery life than the iPhone by approximately a 2 to 1 factor. I believe there is definitely something to the poor battery life issue with these androids.

Actually, android phones do way more in the background, running widgets, etc., then the iPhone, which doesn't. So the iPhone should have better battery life. I have the SGS4 and have over 240 apps on it with 25 widgets. I can make it thru a 12 to 14 hrs day of moderate use with 20% battery left. Android phones can be customized to conserve power, which with iPhone's, its already done for you. Learn how to use your phone. Appreciate all the things the SGS4 can do that the iPhone can't, and I believe the battery comparison issue won't be an issue any longer. You can buy a spare battery as well, to carry with you, if needed. (There pretty cheap.)

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Wife got an S3 when I got my S4. We both had iPhone 4's prior. We use the GS's the same way we did with our iPhone. Both our Samsungs have MUCH shorter battery life than the iPhone by approximately a 2 to 1 factor. I believe there is definitely something to the poor battery life issue with these androids.

iPhone 4 was a 3G phone. Battery life is always better for 3G than LTE. You pay for that speed with battery life.

That said, I have had a few IOS devices and my s4 is on par with any in terms of battery life.

Upvote 0
LTE sadly is a battery vampire. It sucks it dry.

I've heard of people who have the iPhone 5 with LTE in it and they too complain about horrible battery life when using LTE.

So no, it's not just Android phones that have battery life issues. LTE simply kills your battery life.

We just need to learn that if you have the latest and greatest tech, namely LTE, you're going to pay while using it in the form of reduced battery life. Same goes with notebook computers. Want that fast CPU? Get ready to have your battery sucked dry!

Upvote 0

Honestly, the Galaxy s4 is a great phone if you just take the time to learn how to use it. Battery life should easily last you all day for a couple of reasons. The 2600mah battery is one of the larger ones to go inside a cell phone, with the exception of the note 2 and the Droid Razr Maxx HD. Along with the fact that when you have Smart Actions on, it instinctively does its best to save battery life on its own depending on where you are in your area (turning on WiFi automatically). As far as Bluetooth goes, along with the others I haven't had a problem with it syncing to all my bluetooth devices. Works like a charm actually.

Upvote 0

Realize a couple of different factors will play into your problem. Keep in mind that the iPhone 4 and the 4s we're both 3G devices. So that alone wasn't running their battery much. If you're in it LTE neighborhood, then that's going to be a factor that uses up more power. Also, Iphones don't multitask...androids do. What I mean by that is when you're just using your iPhone app for whatever purpose, the app is done once you click off of it (iPhone whatever app wants to send you push notifications). Whereas if do you the same thing with the Android, its pulling multiple information from multiple sources... Which also uses battery life a bit. Its basically all about just being smart with your phone, by taking the time to learn it. I only have what I need to have on my phone, and I easily last longer than 15 hours between internet surfing, texting, video watching on YouTube, music at the gym which is about one and a half to two hours continuously and game play.

Upvote 0
On the topic of the volume controls on corded headset: My SGS4 (I9500) came with a bundled headset with these features and they work great. Looks like the same headset that my wife's SGS3 (I9300) came with, her's also supports inline controls on the wired headset. To skip a track I simply double press the "action" button, or to increase/decrease volume I just use the volume up/down buttons.

Do you have the model numbers of the Beats or Bose headsets you use?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones