• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S4 to S7...need help making decision...answer quick please:)

Lauravel

Lurker
Apr 20, 2016
Hi folks,
Heading to the store this morning to get a new phone.

After a year of using the S4, I started having trouble with the SIM card. Frequently not being recognized. Spent frustrating months trying fixes. Bell and other repair shops said they couldn't do anything. Was restarting my phone numerous times a day. Then my phone started turning off randomly.

Finally got an S6. It got three drops of water on it and was destroyed. Spent a fortune getting it repaired. Then had to replace the camera myself. Pics looked green. Obviously, not OEM. Now, the battery won't hold a charge and needs to be replaced. No point spending more money on a previously water damaged phone.

Back to my S4. Still experiencing no SIM message and random turn-offs. Last week, I had an emergency and had to call 911, but had to restart my phone three times before it would work. Worst day ever. Now, I have no volume or mic during calls (in or out). Have to get a new phone.

Is the S7 riddled with problems like the S4? I'd like to stay with Samsung, but geez. I don't want all sorts of stupid trouble again.

No, it just sounds like bad luck and your S4 was defective or the simcard was faulty which you could have ruled out by asking for a new one from your provider (i guess you tried this?) you will get a new simcard anyway if you get an S7.
Oh yes, I tried everything. Two repair shops told me that the problem was common and replacing the SIM tray did nothing to help.

Upvote 0
Yeah...google it. There are a million and one "fixes" that don't work so there must have been a lot of phones with the problem.

Anyways, I ended up taking a totally different route because my provider wouldn't offer me a new plan with same price as my old one. I would have to buy out my old contract and sign a new one to get the S7 for $199.99. Apparently, I have to be closer to the end of my contract to get the loyalty discount which I currently have. You wouldn't believe what I went through on the phone...so irritating.

I bought a Galaxy J3 which, I was told, takes a Micro SIM card. Google says the same thing. Guess what? It doesn't fit!!! I actually happened to have a nano SIM...and that fits. WTF? Even the paper in the box says it takes a Mirco SIM. I'm sooooo frustrated. It's a half hour back to the store and I have a baby and a toddler to cart along with me. Unbelievable. I was thinking that maybe someone put the wrong phone in the box or that I got ripped off or something, but then I found this online: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201608/20160826041816828/SM-J320W8_UG_EN5.pdf It's the only place that says Nano SIM.

Upvote 0
I don't think that was an "S4 problem" so much as your particular phone. I went from S4 to S7E and have been quite happy with both. In fact, my S4 is still in service as a "tablet" for my daughter. :)

But like someone said, you'll get a new SIM for your new phone anyways.
I'm gonna have my S4 retired and buy a S7E too.
My S4 may be still in service for my father.He is non-techie.
:thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones