• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I got water on my phone and now it's stuck on "AP Fastboot Flash Mode (Secure)"

A few days ago I got water on my pants and I had my phone in my pocket. It wasn't much water and as soon as it happened I took my phone out of my pocket. My phone worked fine for a few more minutes, but then it turned off and I haven't been able get past the initial Motorola start screen. When I hold the power button, the Motorola start up screen appears for a millisecond and then it disappears. The only other thing I can do is access the "AP Fastboot Flash Mode (Secure)" but that is about it. Clicking the start, restart bootloader, recover mode, power off, and bootloader log buttons doesn't do much and I get back to the start screen that appears for a second and then goes back to a black screen. Is there any way I could fix this without going to a repair shop?

your phone should be water resistant. and a splash of water should not affect the phone. but lets say you were thrown into a pool and you had your phone in your pants, then there is potential of water damage. also if the screen was cracked there is potential of water damage.

either way anythime your phone gets wet, you need to power off the phone and let it sit in rice as suggested by @Dannydet. and leave it soaking in rice for as long as possible....at least 24hrs.....before turning it back on. if water was to get into the circuitry will the phone is on, it could short circuit something.

motorolla has a nice utility that might help with your phone.
https://www.motorola-support.com/us...topic/reset/how-to-flash-rescue-your-device/1

Upvote 0
I wouldn't get your hopes up too much. When your phone is stuck in a boot loop that's an indicator the installed Android operating system is either corrupted, or in your situation the internal storage chip (where the Android OS is installed) has been shorted out or damaged. When the OS isn't accessible the phone just starts its boot up process and when that finishes and moves on to the next step of loading the operating system but since it's not accessible the whole process just starts over, endlessly repeating a boot-loop. Your phone is trying to start up but with no OS it falls back to the Fast Boot mode. Fast Boot is just a maintenance mode with specific but limited options.

Your phone has a relatively minimal IP rating, IP52
https://www.motorola.com/us/smartphones-motorola-one-5g-ace/p?skuId=537
Basically that's just a limited water repellent level of protection, not much at all as far as immersion
https://rainfordsolutions.com/produ...res/ip-enclosure-ratings-standards-explained/

You can try and dry it out yourself and see if that does fix things but generally water and electronics is a problem. Damaged components can't just fix themselves, especially by just drying them out. You'll likely need to take your phone to a repair facility to have it checked out.

Upvote 0
Stop turning the phone on: that just exacerbates water damage. If water has got in you need to turn it off, dry it as thoroughly as possible, then see whether it will work after that. If you are lucky the bad behaviour you are seeing will be due to a short caused by moisture and will go away when dry, but don't be surprised if the damage is more serious. But turning it on and trying different things at the moment will not help, and may make things worse.

And by "dry as thoroughly as possible" I mean, as said above, turn it off and leave it in a sealed bag or jar of desiccant for a couple of days: uncooked rice is suggested above because that's something people usually have in the house, but raw cous cous is probably even better, and something like silica gel would be better yet.

Reactions: ocnbrze and AugieTN
Upvote 0
Stop turning the phone on: that just exacerbates water damage. If water has got in you need to turn it off, dry it as thoroughly as possible, then see whether it will work after that. If you are lucky the bad behaviour you are seeing will be due to a short caused by moisture and will go away when dry, but don't be surprised if the damage is more serious. But turning it on and trying different things at the moment will not help, and may make things worse.

And by "dry as thoroughly as possible" I mean, as said above, turn it off and leave it in a sealed bag or jar of desiccant for a couple of days: uncooked rice is suggested above because that's something people usually have in the house, but raw cous cous is probably even better, and something like silica gel would be better yet.
If memory serves: I accidentally left my first Android device, a Gen. 2 Kindle Fire, out in the rain. When I saw that it was wet and still on. I quickly turned it off, then let it dry out for a few days or so. I didn't have high hopes, but when I turned it on, it worked fine. It's still working today.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
It's not very effective, you're better off leaving it out in the open for a few days. The rice is starchy and get's into the ports easily.
it has worked for me a few times, never had any issues with the ports. i guess if you used long-grain rice as they are not as starchy. rice is a good desiccant and will actually pull moisture from the atmosphere. i actually use the silica packs that some items ship with. silica is a much better desiccant than rice.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones